News: Will The Position Switch Help Sean Lee?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
But having Lee still on this roster might play a bigger role now than when Lee was a starter.
When Lee is healthy he shows HOF ability,, the only problem is that he has never been healthy.
Lee being 3rd is a good thing,, would be even better if he was 4th.

There is no question in my mind that we are certainly better with Lee then we are without him. I mean, the knowledge base alone is enough. But if the question is, will it help him, I just don't see how it could. He helps us, I don't think the position change helps him. If he were the 4th guy, I agree, but I don't think he wants to be here unless he has a chance to start. JMO

CCBoy

Reaction score
When Lee is healthy he is awesome. After watching him last year at the seasons end he seemed to not be able to stay healthy and looked half speed. Hope it’s not lingering and age. And comes in healthy.

In the Rams game, he was the most dominant of the Dallas linebackers.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
There is no question in my mind that we are certainly better with Lee then we are without him. I mean, the knowledge base alone is enough. But if the question is, will it help him, I just don't see how it could. He helps us, I don't think the position change helps him. If he were the 4th guy, I agree, but I don't think he wants to be here unless he has a chance to start. JMO
If Lee didnt want to be here Im pretty sure the Cowboys would know that by now.
Lee knows that his best days are behind him, and there is no other team willing to invest in a starting LB that has never been healthy.
Lee knows this defense, Lee knows his team mates, Lee knows that this is where he will end his career.
Its a perfect situation for Lee and this franchise.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Injury prove? Ha...uncalled late hits and now in the NFL, uncontrolled hits upon a quarterback. No difference? Ha...

I like the player, a lot. He adds a lot to this defense, unless hurt. I won't sell for a discount, as he has earned 'grizzled veteran' in this fan's book. I won't cheap shot him until he's gone.
We all love Romo....no need to embellish the truth. Some players are just injury prone....Romo and Lee are a couple. The funny thing is if neither were injury prone there's a good chance we may have a SB in their error.

glimmerman

Reaction score
In the Rams game, he was the most dominant of the Dallas linebackers.
The game ender where the qb ran for the first down he couldn’t make the play. He physically couldn’t do it. Or it seemed that way to me.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Will The Position Switch Help Sean Lee?
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/17-will-the-position-switch-help-sean-lee

FRISCO, Texas – Sean Lee’s back for a 10th season with the Cowboys – and likely in a different role than we’ve seen from the veteran linebacker in the past.

Plagued by hamstring injuries for two straight seasons, the 32-year-old Lee contemplated his football future after the team’s divisional-round playoff loss to the Rams. But he and the Cowboys agreed to a restructured contract for 2019, the final year of his current deal.

Now Lee is preparing for new responsibilities at the strong-side (SAM) linebacker spot alongside breakout linebackers Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch, who stepped up last year while Lee missed nine games due to injury...

But as Dave said, perhaps Lee won’t be asked to play 50-60 snaps a game anymore. Last year’s starting SAM linebacker, Damien Wilson, played less than 30 percent of the defense’s total snaps. If that helps him play at his optimum for a full 16 games, so much the better. I know this: Lee was the best linebacker on the field in that Rams loss, and his presence (even in a smaller role) still makes this defense better.

A bunch of obtuse answers from the staff, all mistaking the position switch for a change in snap number.

Fewer snaps may help, but the position switch is dumb.

For the base, when Lee is on the field, he should be WLB. That's the position he was an All Pro at.

Meanwhile, Jaylon is a natural for SLB. Has the man coverage skills to take a TE. Great pass rusher. Still covers an edge to make use of his speed. Note that we were already talking about moving Jaylon to SAM *before* we drafted LVE.

LVE is great in zone, already a tackling machine, and has the frame to get even bigger. He should be MLB.

My impression is that they're actually putting *all* of them at the wrong position: Lee at SLB, Jaylon at MLB, LVE at WLB.

The coaches always gotta find a way to hold the team back.

If we're dropping one off the field for nickel, it should probably be Lee. The other guys are faster.

Though I'm an advocate of a "big nickel", with Jaylon lining up like an in the box SS and playing man TE coverage like Byron used to, or blitzing, while Lee and LVE play the usual zone coverage roles for nickel LBs.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't think it will. I mean, in today's NFL, the Strong Side sees fewer snaps, that's true but the snaps they do see are still more physical and Lee has never been that kind of LB. He doesn't need to be stacking against pulling Guards or standing in on the Wham. I don't think it helps him but I hope I'm 100% wrong on that.

The right answer. We've used bigger players at SAM for a reason.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
When Lee is healthy he is awesome. After watching him last year at the seasons end he seemed to not be able to stay healthy and looked half speed. Hope it’s not lingering and age. And comes in healthy.

If he's healthy he's a huge addition, and if he continues to be physically limited, he's personally probably at least as good as the SLBs we've played in recent years, while making the whole defense better around him with his recognition skills.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
When Lee is healthy he is an amazing player. If he was healthy throughout his career he would be a HOF lock. The problem has always been his durability. I agree that him on the field makes the team better overall. That type of leadership and experience can command some of these younger players to excel even further than they have already, or to have someone to talk with. Lee has always been a locker room and tape type of guy which the team needs especially with poor coaching. Just have him split some carries with someone else to keep his body with limited snaps and hope for the best.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It will likely take more than a position switch to make Sean Lee's year a healthy and hence, a successful one. Being subjected to less action as a strong side LB might help his cause but luck, alone, will be a huge factor in allowing him to finish the season in good health. Let's just hope it happens.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

FRISCO, Texas – Sean Lee’s back for a 10th season with the Cowboys – and likely in a different role than we’ve seen from the veteran linebacker in the past.

Plagued by hamstring injuries for two straight seasons, the 32-year-old Lee contemplated his football future after the team’s divisional-round playoff loss to the Rams. But he and the Cowboys agreed to a restructured contract for 2019, the final year of his current deal.

Now Lee is preparing for new responsibilities at the strong-side (SAM) linebacker spot alongside breakout linebackers Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch, who stepped up last year while Lee missed nine games due to injury...

But as Dave said, perhaps Lee won’t be asked to play 50-60 snaps a game anymore. Last year’s starting SAM linebacker, Damien Wilson, played less than 30 percent of the defense’s total snaps. If that helps him play at his optimum for a full 16 games, so much the better. I know this: Lee was the best linebacker on the field in that Rams loss, and his presence (even in a smaller role) still makes this defense better.
Lee is a beast no matter what position he plays. The only help he needs is staying healthy.

Qcard

Reaction score
this: Lee was the best linebacker on the field in that Rams loss, and his presence (even in a smaller role) still makes this defense better.
This is a valid point... I guess but you can't scheme around bad hamstrings nor hide a player at one of 11 positions.

I think Jaylon had a poor game because he couldn't adjust to Sean Mcvay scheming the middle LB out of the play. Goff identified the MLB and McVay gave best option before they cut QB headset at 15 secs play clock.

LVE was picking up jock traps most of the game

GMO415

Reaction score
Lee won't be healthy for an entire season. He's too slow anyway. It's time for him to retire

glimmerman

Reaction score
What was his primary responsibility at the start of the scramble?
I am not saying he wasn’t the best LB on the field, I heard that LVE was sick and played that way. Jaylon didn’t have the greatest game either. I have just seen Lee break off the blocker or coverage and close in and make the play on the qb before. He seemed a little slower and could be lingering from the hammy. I am pumped to have him back on the field for us. He diagnoses a play and is a field general.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does changing the position cure Miles Austin Syndrome? The best part of it is the reduced snaps; however, the smartest guy on the field isn't on the field.

Remains to be seen how this will work and how healthy he will stay. However, I have 0 problem with them keeping him on the team. He brings intangibles that can relate to a better season than if he were not there.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Does changing the position cure Miles Austin Syndrome? The best part of it is the reduced snaps; however, the smartest guy on the field isn't on the field.

Remains to be seen how this will work and how healthy he will stay. However, I have 0 problem with them keeping him on the team. He brings intangibles that can relate to a better season than if he were not there.
If he remains healthy for the season he will be a great benefit to have. I wanted to keep Wilson if we could have and let Lee split reps with him. Maybe another young LB will emerge this year..

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
ABC is right about the position Lee will face.

What won't go away is the extended runs to support when the play is moving away from you. Lee has pulled his hamstring chasing the backside.

The leverage you will have to play with on the strong side is going to come into play. Its stupid for anyone to think that a single player can always be way smarter than NFL grade competition and beat them to the position or punch every play.

That is just a fan who have never really played football or understood the level of competition on a level playing field. Lee will experience situations where he will have to man up on a blocker and take on the block to free up his fellow team mates.

The question remains can he hold up to NFL competition with his hamstrings?

JayFord

Reaction score
Depends on how they manage it

When we go to nickel and dime he needs to be on the sideline yes he’s an elite pass defense LB but he’s always one step away from being out for 10 weeks