Will we lose Dan Quinn?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And remember, fake flu Micah said he wants to go wherever Quinn goes.

So smell him later too.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I think it will more depend on the positions that are open. Would you really want to go and coach a team like Carolina? That team is a mess and will be handing the #1 pick over to Chicago. I know if my choice was between being the HC there and staying on as DC in Dallas I'd stick with the DC position. Now, if something more attractive opened up and he thinks he'd like to try being a HC again then that's his choice and I wouldn't hold it against him. As another poster stated, Harris would likely be the replacement as DC and I'd be fine with that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
DQ is a great HC candidate, but he has to want the job.
He loves this defense, and he makes great money.

If he does leave Al Harris is getting that DC job pronto.

bottleKids

Reaction score
Money talks.... just look at professional golf right now.

If Jerry wants him to stay, he will stay.... $$

HungryLion

Reaction score
If Quinn leaves, he leaves. I certainly don’t want to lose him or Al Harris though.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Dan Quinn will be gone and he will take Al Harris with him to be his DC most likely. Fortunately, MM has a big coaching tree to draw from.

Warick

Reaction score
I think DQ stays. I think he loves what he has going on here, and wants to build on it. I'm sure he doesn't mind the head coach talk, especially since it probably means Jerry ups his salary. At some point he might consider a head coaching gig again, but probably not until he wins a SB here, or he's HC here. Will see.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Quinn is ultracompetitive and you cannot tell me that there is not a part of him that wants to prove himself in that arena.

I could see him staying or going. He is going to the HoF as a DC likely already if he stays FWIW.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Why take on HC responsibilities when you get paid like one now?

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
There was a lot of talk about him taking a HC gig last year and he stayed.
Lots of talk about it again this season.

Does Jerry money whip him into staying or does Quinn take a HC job?
This defense can't afford to lose him.
Probably - teams lose a lot of players and coaches when they win the Super Bowl.

Aven8

Reaction score
If he’s picking Carolina is surely not the place. They have no draft picks and a shrimp for a QB.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I love fans pretending he doesn't want to be a head coach again. That's absolute nonsense.
Agree. If he were a little older I could see him wanting to stay where he is and just finish with a legacy as one of the great DCs, but he's young enough to want one more shot. It will have to be the right team though.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quinn will certainly have that option is he chooses.

One thing that is always worth remembering regarding losing coordinators and assistants to head coaching jobs: That happens because your team has had great success. In the 70s, 80s and 90s, both Landry and Jimmy lost great assistants that became HCs because the Cowboys had been winning SBs.

Look at the list of assistant coaches who went on to be HCs:
UNDER TOM LANDRY:
  • Dan Reeves (Denver, NYG and Atlanta- took several teams to SBs)
  • Mike Ditka (Bears, Saints) Won a SB with 85 bears)
  • Dick Nolan (SF- made it to NFC championship)
  • Gene Stallings (Arizona)
UNDER JIMMY JOHNSON
  • Norv Turner
  • Dave Wannstedt
  • Butch Davis
  • Dave Campo
When you win big, you lose assistants. Always been that way.
I don’t want to lose Dan Quinn obviously but I sure would love to see him be a popular name because it will mean we did really well this year.

Cydios

Reaction score
Well I don't thunk there's a cap on staff. I hope Jerry makes him the highest paid Def coach in history