Wimbley in for a visit today w/the 'boys

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
per the Ranch...

Apparently, Cowboys have shown interest at the Senior bowl and Combine. So it's obvious he's on their radar..

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
Interesting, he could turn out to be a very good player. I remember reading an article not too long ago though where it said he was more interested in staying at DE than switching to LB in the NFL.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
PFW Says he's a perfect fit as a rush linebacker in the 3-4. Bigger and more flexible than DeMarcus Ware although not quite as athletic and does not bend off the edge as well.

dwmyers

Reaction score
This guy is also an A+ on the intangibles chart. If what you want is the good citizen ballplayer, this guy has to be strongly considered.

War Room analysis
Strengths: Shows an explosive first step and outstanding speed off the edge. Anticipates snap counts better than most prospects. Has the initial burst to get past offensive tackles without contact. Combines good quickness and agility with fluid hips and smooth change-of-direction skills. Beats offensive tackles with speed and quickness, and shows a good closing burst to the quarterback. Works best as a pursuing run defender. Breaks down and changes direction without losing speed in transition. Takes good angles, and tackles well in open field. Shows potential to drop back and cover in zone-blitz situations. Shows good instincts, and excels at diagnosing misdirection plays. Gets upfield quickly when reading pass.

Weaknesses: Is too lean, and must add bulk. Gets run over by offensive tackles at the point of attack. Must learn to take on and shed blockers and play with good leverage. Must develop more pass-rush moves; can't afford to rely so much on speed.

Bottom line: Wimbley shined at the Senior Bowl, holding his own against the run and impressing scouts as an edge pass rusher. He is a 'tweener and probably projects better as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but he can make an early impact as a situational pass rusher and special teams performer.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
dwmyers said:
This guy is also an A+ on the intangibles chart. If what you want is the good citizen ballplayer, this guy has to be strongly considered.

War Room analysis
Strengths: Shows an explosive first step and outstanding speed off the edge. Anticipates snap counts better than most prospects. Has the initial burst to get past offensive tackles without contact. Combines good quickness and agility with fluid hips and smooth change-of-direction skills. Beats offensive tackles with speed and quickness, and shows a good closing burst to the quarterback. Works best as a pursuing run defender. Breaks down and changes direction without losing speed in transition. Takes good angles, and tackles well in open field. Shows potential to drop back and cover in zone-blitz situations. Shows good instincts, and excels at diagnosing misdirection plays. Gets upfield quickly when reading pass.

Weaknesses: Is too lean, and must add bulk. Gets run over by offensive tackles at the point of attack. Must learn to take on and shed blockers and play with good leverage. Must develop more pass-rush moves; can't afford to rely so much on speed.

Bottom line: Wimbley shined at the Senior Bowl, holding his own against the run and impressing scouts as an edge pass rusher. He is a 'tweener and probably projects better as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but he can make an early impact as a situational pass rusher and special teams performer.

IMPRESSIVE... but still I want manny lawson

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
This is the player I would like to see us take, would be perfect opposite Ware. If we could move down a little bit and still get him,all the better. Between Wimbley and Carpenter, Lawson how could we not take one of these 3?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Wimbley might be the one ladies and gentlemen. This would be his third interview with Dallas. Once at the senior bowl, then the combine, and now here.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
I'm absolutely positive that we are going to take an OLB with our first pick (whether it be at #18 or later). And it is going to be Wimbley, Lawson or Carpenter. Lawson is pure pass rusher. Carpenter is more of a Strongside, point of attack LBers. I think Wimbley is between the two.

I would be very happy with Wimbley starting at OLB opposite Ware net year.

Wimbley & Ware. Two young studs for some time to come.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
WIMBLEY
2005- 11G 26T 11 TFL 7.5 SACKS 0 FF

LAWSON
2005- 12G 58T 19.5 TFL 10.5 SACKS 1 FF

Personally, I like PARYS HARALSON (Tennessee).
6-2, 250
2005- 11G 45T 16.5 TFL 8.5 SACKS 3FF
Could be had in the 2nd round.

dallasfan

Reaction score
Wimberly intrigues me, but only if Lawson is gone. If Lawson goes to cleveland, we should trade down and grab Wimberly/Carpenter.

ddh33

Reaction score
I really like him. He's been my guy for weeks. He's got great intangibles, as mentioned earlier, and he's a good football player. He had very good measureables, and I like his bulk and strength better than some of the other prospects.

ghst187

Reaction score
Did Wimbley have a knee injury sometime in the last year or two? I thought that was the case but maybe not.
I like Lawson and Carpenter better but Wimbley will be there in the second.
Maybe we're looking to trade completely out of the first round again?

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Did Wimbley have a knee injury sometime in the last year or two? I thought that was the case but maybe not.
I like Lawson and Carpenter better but Wimbley will be there in the second.
Maybe we're looking to trade completely out of the first round again?

Nope, Wimbley atleast played in all of FSU's game his first three years. He missed 2 games this past year though.

marchetta

Reaction score
ghst187 said:

Yes he did...

Kamerion Wimbley DE Florida St

Strengths
Kamerion has solid pass-rushing skills and has good speed to go along with those skills. He gives great effort on every play and looks to be a good teammate. He has exceptional strength for the college level and quick change of direction ability, which should help him a lot at the next level.

Needs to Improve
Kamerion is coming off a knee injury that I, personally, do not feel he's recovered from mentally. He doesn’t continue his moves if his initial move gets stoned. He does not carry enough bulk and he is not strong at the point of attack. He doesn't use his hands very well. However, the biggest problem I see is that he's still worried about his knee. He will not make that tight cut around the corner, dip his shoulder and go under the block to get to the QB.

Bottom Line
In my opinion, Kamerion is a tweener DE/OLB, but I’m not convinced he has the agility to be an OLB. Kamerion is definitely concerned about hurting his knee again or his knee is not quite right yet. If he gets clear sailing to a QB, he looks fine. However, if an O-lineman gets his hands on this kid, he shuts down and doesn’t finish the job. Kamerion has to add a lot more bulk to his frame without affecting his speed and quickness. If you use him at OLB, he's still not stout at the point of attack. That means he comes into the league as a situational pass rusher who is concerned about getting injured. That’s not enough for me to rate him as a first round pick! He does have talent and he looks to be a good kid overall with a strong work ethic. That shows me a lot. He has enough talent to work with, along with good size and speed. If you can get him over the mental injury issue and bulk him up, then you just might have yourself a pretty good player. Kamerion is a long range developmental DE, but I think he's an excellent one to take the time to develop.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
cobra said:
I'm absolutely positive that we are going to take an OLB with our first pick (whether it be at #18 or later). And it is going to be Wimbley, Lawson or Carpenter. Lawson is pure pass rusher. Carpenter is more of a Strongside, point of attack LBers. I think Wimbley is between the two.

I would be very happy with Wimbley starting at OLB opposite Ware net year.

Wimbley & Ware. Two young studs for some time to come.
I think you are right on. I think it's OLB and it's Lawson, Wimbley, Carpenter in that order. It looks like those 3 guys are going to be available in the 20's, so I think the Boys will look to move down, and if they can't find a partner will just draft one of those guys.

Silverstar

Reaction score
dallasfan said:
Wimberly intrigues me, but only if Lawson is gone. If Lawson goes to cleveland, we should trade down and grab Wimberly/Carpenter.

Agreed.

:starspin

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Though I'm still partial to Carpenter, I'm starting to think Wimbley may be our first pick. I was reading about our interest in this player months ago, when few had him even rated in the first two rounds. Based on what we've done in FA, I just can't see us passing on either Lawson, Wimbley or Carpenter at #18 (or lower). It's nice to have so many options to be happy with our pick.