Windows XP VLA WPA

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
For all you IT folk out there - I recently bought, through my university, Windows XP Pro on a VLA (Volume Liscense Agreement). I was under the impression that I could install this to both my laptop and desktop.

I successfully did so to my laptop, and am happy with my OS. However, when I went to activate the same program on my desktop, I was prompted that my software could only be activated, using my current Activation Key, on a single computer.

I put off contacting Windows - seems I will have to tomorrow, but I absolutely REFUSE to pay 100+ dollars for a program I already purchased, especially just to get a new liscense.

Is there any way that I can get around this, or is Windows pretty tough on the topic? If not, can anyone tell me how to just get rid of XP Pro and go back to the home edition that was already installed at the factory? I would prefer to keep the more stable Pro edition, but if I have to go back to Home to save money, it will have to suffice.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
If you do, in fact, contact Microsoft.... be prepared to go into the Witness Protection Program...

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
trickblue said:
If you do, in fact, contact Microsoft.... be prepared to go into the Witness Protection Program...

Ug...what can you tell me about Linux?;)

I don't mind the bureaucracy so much - I just want someone to talk to me in clear English, and to be confident they understand me too.

k19

Reaction score
GTaylor said:
*Cough* *Cough* Hack *Cough* *Cough*

I HEARD from this guy I know that the generators wont let you do the auto updates and whatnot as far as the SP's go

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
For all you IT folk out there - I recently bought, through my university, Windows XP Pro on a VLA (Volume Liscense Agreement). I was under the impression that I could install this to both my laptop and desktop.

I successfully did so to my laptop, and am happy with my OS. However, when I went to activate the same program on my desktop, I was prompted that my software could only be activated, using my current Activation Key, on a single computer.

I put off contacting Windows - seems I will have to tomorrow, but I absolutely REFUSE to pay 100+ dollars for a program I already purchased, especially just to get a new liscense.

Is there any way that I can get around this, or is Windows pretty tough on the topic? If not, can anyone tell me how to just get rid of XP Pro and go back to the home edition that was already installed at the factory? I would prefer to keep the more stable Pro edition, but if I have to go back to Home to save money, it will have to suffice.

We bought the XP Pro and had the one CD yet got a liscense for 50 users.

Meaning we could put them on 50 different computers with no problem.

Now I am sure we have even went beyond that amount as we have used it on all the computers at work, and even a few of them multiple times....plus I have used it at home as some of my co-workers have done as well.

Now this was a couple of years ago that we got this deal, but as early as a a few weeks ago I used the same cd and serial number on my cousins laptop and it worked fine.

Not sure if the new CDs have something else to them that is preventing them from working now or what is going on.

I can only think that the interent (updates and when installing will connnect to microsoft) is keeping the log and when you go to try to install and the section where it checks the net, it is checking that number and not letting you go further.

What you may try to do is install but leave any network cables or phone lines unplugged and let it install without having the chance to go online again.

You may have to complete reformat your hard drive before doing this, though it should only take a few minutes if you were installing to a new hard drive.

One other thing that you could try...is to ghost the hd from your laptop and then to your desktop computer...once that is done you may have to go through a list of changes to be made as the hardware would be different.
However I do not even know if laptop computers have primary and secondary jumper switches to do that so it may not work anyways.

Rambling I know.

But reformat you hard drive on the second computer completely.
Make sure you have no way of getting on the internet....
Install windows and see if it will let you go.
Because unless it goes online I can not see a way windows would know if the cd and serial number has been used before.

However if it still scews up...goto windows and figure it out with their people...if you have paid for multiple liscense then you have nothing to worry about.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
We bought the XP Pro and had the one CD yet got a liscense for 50 users.

Meaning we could put them on 50 different computers with no problem.

Now I am sure we have even went beyond that amount as we have used it on all the computers at work, and even a few of them multiple times....plus I have used it at home as some of my co-workers have done as well.

Now this was a couple of years ago that we got this deal, but as early as a a few weeks ago I used the same cd and serial number on my cousins laptop and it worked fine.

Not sure if the new CDs have something else to them that is preventing them from working now or what is going on.

I can only think that the interent (updates and when installing will connnect to microsoft) is keeping the log and when you go to try to install and the section where it checks the net, it is checking that number and not letting you go further.

What you may try to do is install but leave any network cables or phone lines unplugged and let it install without having the chance to go online again.

You may have to complete reformat your hard drive before doing this, though it should only take a few minutes if you were installing to a new hard drive.

One other thing that you could try...is to ghost the hd from your laptop and then to your desktop computer...once that is done you may have to go through a list of changes to be made as the hardware would be different.
However I do not even know if laptop computers have primary and secondary jumper switches to do that so it may not work anyways.

Rambling I know.

But reformat you hard drive on the second computer completely.
Make sure you have no way of getting on the internet....
Install windows and see if it will let you go.
Because unless it goes online I can not see a way windows would know if the cd and serial number has been used before.

However if it still scews up...goto windows and figure it out with their people...if you have paid for multiple liscense then you have nothing to worry about.

The software requires that you activate it online or by phone. Even if I reformat and start from scratch, I will still be required to get through their database. I am not willing, at this time, to reformat a perfectly good HDD that has lots of data that I would prefer not to lose.

I went to B&N today and bought a Linux manual, and I have been reading on linux.org. Seriously, does anyone use Linux instead, and what are pros and cons? I have been threatening to convert for about a year, but now I am really considering doing so. Thoughts?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
The software requires that you activate it online or by phone. Even if I reformat and start from scratch, I will still be required to get through their database. I am not willing, at this time, to reformat a perfectly good HDD that has lots of data that I would prefer not to lose.

I went to B&N today and bought a Linux manual, and I have been reading on linux.org. Seriously, does anyone use Linux instead, and what are pros and cons? I have been threatening to convert for about a year, but now I am really considering doing so. Thoughts?

Oh...my mistake I thought you were installing it on a new computer or had a new hard drive (in other words did not realize you were loading onto a previous version).

So have you tried calling them or did you just stop when you saw that?
If you did call did they give you the run around?

Very odd...it must be something new they are doing with the activation stuff.

Sorry wish I could have helped you more but I would at least call about the situation...I mean it is your right if you bought the software with multiple user licenses.

As far as linux goes...the resident linux guy is Jterrell so you might want to ask him.

I have an old version of linux on CD and was going to try it out on an old secondary computer but never got around to it.

GTaylor

Gif Dude
Reaction score
‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^› said:
I HEARD from this guy I know that the generators wont let you do the auto updates and whatnot as far as the SP's go

So far this is false - I've got a PC and I've updated it w/SP2 and any other updates using a copied XP (Had to since the XP disk that came with the laptop wouldn't let me format FAT32 or manually partition for dual-boot systems). However the new activation that MS is coming out later on this year is a different story. I have a feeling it's going to be a nightmare, people on a tech forum tested it out with a legit copy only to find it deactivated when MS claimed it wasn't legit

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Frick it...I will try a hack or something, but if it doesn't work I will remove the upgrade from my laptop and put XP on my desktop.

Linux is going on the laptop, and I will learn all I can. Perhaps it will eventually be migrated to the desktop, but other people use that one, and I can't ask them to join my steep learning curve as well. Curse this nonsense.

JTerrell......where are you?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I just called MS...when I told him that this was purchased via a VLA, the gentlemen immediately provided me with a new Product Activation Key. Shoulda done that first, instead of dealing with you bastids. ;)

Seriously, thank you all with your help, I appreciate it immensely. I still plan on converting to Linux, but now I may choose to put it on top of windows and run both. Again, thank you all very much!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You can use a program called keyfinder to find and change your registration code.

Just google for it if you ever need it.

My ancient version of XP always requires this update to add new service packs even tho I have a legit license. Its easier to just get a new key than call MS every time.