Twitter: Wink Martindale offers to help outclassed DC Parker

THEY GAVE UP 34 POINTS

The bar for the defense is so low as to be completely untethered from reality.
I think what people mean is the D put us in position have the chance to win.

I dont think anyone thinks the D was "good"
 
Parker is talented. He will be a solid DC and someday HC.

It’s just that we all wanted this defense to transform overnight, and that’s unrealistic. It’s not easy to rebuild and win at the same time.

I remember when Jim Fassel had to take play calling away from Sean Payton with NY. Sometimes it takes time.

I listen to Tiiki Barbers show here and there, and while he wasn’t talking specifically about Parker, he said that as a first year coordinator, you really don’t have a clue. This was months ago, and I was holding out some weirdo hope that it wouldn’t apply to us. Same as those decades where I was hoping Jerry and kid could maybe trip over some good enough luck…..just not how it works.
 
I think what people mean is the D put us in position have the chance to win.

I dont think anyone thinks the D was "good"
Yea I know what people mean. It's dumb. No they didn't.

It is no different than saying the defense gave Dallas a chance to win the Broncos game in 2013.
 
Call him Jerry ...........now
Guess you could bring him in as a consultant........CP doesn't lose his locker room






Wade Phillips is still the consultant I would bring in. Made some defenses pretty great in a short period of time, even getting a couple of teams to Super Bowls because of those defenses.
 
Yea I know what people mean. It's dumb. No they didn't.

It is no different than saying the defense gave Dallas a chance to win the Broncos game in 2013.
Right. We're so desperate for good defensive play that we view giving up 34 points as giving us a chance. What that gives us is little room for error on offense. Few offenses have to operate under such constraints.

That doesn't excuse the offense from not doing more with the opportunities it had. Just says that asking the offense to score 35 points because the defense gave it a chance by only giving up 34 is kind of ridiculous.
 
THEY GAVE UP 34 POINTS

The bar for the defense is so low as to be completely untethered from reality.
We have the 5th lowest paid defense in the league being run by a new, first time DC.

The cap hit this year for Dak, Ceedee, and Pickens alone is under $1 million less than what the cap hit is for all 26 defensive players combined.

Not saying they don't suck. Not in the slightest. The 5th lowest paid defense in the NFL is giving up the 8th highest number of points. The team is simply getting exactly what they are paying for on that side of the ball.

We pay our offense 67% of the available cap space. This team is literally going to have to rely on outscoring teams. It's where the vast majority of are resources in talent and money are allocated.

Sucks, but it's what it is. Expectations for both sides of the ball have to, unfortunately, be drastically different.
 
Last edited:
Wade Phillips is still the consultant I would bring in. Made some defenses pretty great in a short period of time, even getting a couple of teams to Super Bowls because of those defenses.
G..............lol
Most NFL people can only take Wade in small doses. Granted, his defenses ALWAYS come out of the gate strong for a year or two, THEN he starts angling for the head coach job...

How long do you think it would take him to claim credit for the turnaround and CP demoted to secondary coach:lmao2:
 
G..............lol
Most NFL people can only take Wade in small doses. Granted, his defenses ALWAYS come out of the gate strong for a year or two, THEN he starts angling for the head coach job...

How long do you think it would take him to claim credit for the turnaround and CP demoted to secondary coach:lmao2:
I'm not sure where you get this take. I've never heard evidence of Phillips being bad to work with. He clearly doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL head coach, but he has received praise for his work as a coordinator.
 
I'm not sure where you get this take. I've never heard evidence of Phillips being bad to work with. He clearly doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL head coach, but he has received praise for his work as a coordinator.
Ok.......I'm probably a little hard on him but I meant what I said about going after HC jobs (lol). I do agree; he's always been a damn good DC.


https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/PhilWa0.htm
 
I don’t take this quite as bad as everyone else seems to be. CP is a 1st time DC in his 30s and has been called out by multiple older defensive experts now.

I look at a guy like Marcus freeman whose one of the hottest college coaches around right now, but has had moments of being out coached. Tom Hammock isn’t exactly a household name but supposedly spoke with freeman about the errors he was making after NIU upset ND a couple years ago.

Even if they’re not elite coaches these guys with more experience can offer value. Were clearly seeing CP slow to make in game adjustments and making some bad situational play calls. Not saying it has to be wink but there is nothing wrong with having a guy like that in an advisory role.
 
After 3 weeks??????

animated-laughing-498-x-301-gif-c0qi23ad0tcttjt2.gif
Dallas defense needs all the help they can get.

Defensive Breakdown
    • Total Defense: 30th overall (387.0 yards allowed per game)

      Passing Defense: Tied for 14th (207.3 passing yards allowed per game, 7 touchdowns allowed).

    • Rushing Defense: 31st (179.7 rushing yards allowed per game, 3 touchdowns allowed).

    • Efficiency (EPA): Ranked 32nd in EPA per play through the opening weeks of the seaso
 
Ok.......I'm probably a little hard on him but I meant what I said about going after HC jobs (lol). I do agree; he's always been a damn good DC.


https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/PhilWa0.htm
I do think he could come in and offer Parker some tips on how to better deploy his 3-4 sets. I thought Parker's 3-4 was going to be pretty much the same as Phillips' 3-4, but it seems more like a cross between the standard 3-4 (where linemen primarily try to absorb blockers to keep the linebackers clean) and Phillips' 3-4 (which relies on linemen one-gapping to tie up blockers with penetration).

Because of the difference in the systems, I don't know if Phillips would be ideal as a consultant. I just know that he has had a lot of success over the years with what he does.

I believe we missed our window with him because he was such a soft head coach ... which made the same problem we've had with other coaches, namely the front office, even more of a problem.
 
Even if they’re not elite coaches these guys with more experience can offer value. Were clearly seeing CP slow to make in game adjustments and making some bad situational play calls. Not saying it has to be wink but there is nothing wrong with having a guy like that in an advisory role.
100%..........it's hard to make adjustments if you're NOT sure whether the outcome is negative or positive. This is where he needs experience or an experienced advisor.
 
I do think he could come in and offer Parker some tips on how to better deploy his 3-4 sets. I thought Parker's 3-4 was going to be pretty much the same as Phillips' 3-4, but it seems more like a cross between the standard 3-4 (where linemen primarily try to absorb blockers to keep the linebackers clean) and Phillips' 3-4 (which relies on linemen one-gapping to tie up blockers with penetration).

Because of the difference in the systems, I don't know if Phillips would be ideal as a consultant. I just know that he has had a lot of success over the years with what he does.

I believe we missed our window with him because he was such a soft head coach ... which made the same problem we've had with other coaches, namely the front office, even more of a problem.
What do you think, Mike Petine????
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,012
Messages
14,656,946
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top