Winning ugly

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why won't the offense be as explosive? With the Jalen's improvement the WR's will be better. The TE's will be better. The running game will be better with the upgraded OL. The only thing that will slow the offense is playing better teams this year.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I have a feeling that the offense won't be as explosive, but the defense will be improved especially against the run (fingers crossed). I can see us winning quite a few 19-17 or 20-17 games.
Its not bad , offense will have some starting trouble ( Dak and CD connection) and so if D can hold the run with our Lbs and secondary we can stop the passing game of most offenses. Winning close games build character and helps in the playoffs, blowing off weak teams and struggling against good teams , means 1 and out in playoffs.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Improved OL hopeful but I don’t see how anyone with credibility says Dowdle / Elliott is an upgrade over Pollard / Dowdle ? And behind those 2 the depth is scary cupboard thin .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Another factor in this offense . When Ferguson not on the field can Schoon take over some slack , block & catch consistently to merit a 2nd round choice .

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why won't the offense be as explosive? With the Jalen's improvement the WR's will be better. The TE's will be better. The running game will be better with the upgraded OL. The only thing that will slow the offense is playing better teams this year.
:eek: OMG we have to play real teams this coming season?
Man the NFL is out to get us!!!!:muttley:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m not so sure the offensive line or running game are upgraded….i hope it is but I don’t see our offensive line bullying people. I think we miss Tyron and Biadiz.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Should be about the same as last year. 23 and 24 the boys didn't/don't have a dynamic back and will need to rely on the passing game for the majority of the offenses success

Chasing6

Reaction score
I have a feeling that the offense won't be as explosive, but the defense will be improved especially against the run (fingers crossed). I can see us winning quite a few 19-17 or 20-17 games.
I believe we really got exposed last year in the run game. We have a tougher schedule this year. Good teams will try and exploit this, eating up the clock and keeping our offense off the field.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The running game will be the worst we've ever seen this season.

This team isn't built to win close games. It's built to play downhill.

The lack of running game and the lack of the ability to stop the run will make the Cowboys a one dimensional passing team that is going to lead to trouble very quickly at the start of the season.

plasticman

Reaction score
The fourth leading scorer last season was Daron Bland.

In fact, during the past three seasons, the defense has been one of the Cowboys most lethal scoring threats with 18 TD's.

If the offense is struggling, simply punt on 1st down. ;)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The fourth leading scorer last season was Daron Bland.

In fact, during the past three seasons, the defense has been one of the Cowboys most lethal scoring threats with 18 TD's.

If the offense is struggling, simply punt on 1st down. ;)
Well that’s another thing. I don’t think that’s gonna continue.

plasticman

Reaction score
Well that’s another thing. I don’t think that’s gonna continue.
That's what some said after Diggs 11 INT season. I mean, what other young Cowboys CB could produce a season similar to that type of impact?

It only took two seasons to find another "yawn" 1st team All Pro CB. It would be greedy to expect another young CB with All Pro potential, right?

What team could possibly find three 1st team All Pro CB's in a five year span?

Does Caelen Carson lack the potential? Is it an impossibility?

I'm not saying that another CB is going to be a scoring leader for the Cowboys but the defense, in it's entirety, has the ability to directly and indirectly influence their ability to put points on the board.

During the past three season the defense has influenced the offense's ranking in scoring.

The Cowboys were ranked #1 in offensive scoring last season but hold on. Where would they rank among the league if all teams omitted their defensive and special teams scoring?

Chasing6

Reaction score
That's what some said after Diggs 11 INT season. I mean, what other young Cowboys CB could produce a season similar to that type of impact?

It only took two seasons to find another "yawn" 1st team All Pro CB. It would be greedy to expect another young CB with All Pro potential, right?

I'm not saying that another CB is going to be a scoring leader for the Cowboys but the defense, in it's entirety, has the ability to directly and indirectly influence their ability to put points on the board.

During the past three season the defense has influenced the offense's ranking in scoring.

The Cowboys were ranked #1 in offensive scoring last season but hold on. Where would they rank among the league if all teams omitted their defensive and special teams scoring?
Well if Zimmer can get creative and get Parsons more one one matchups, while blitzing specifically up the middle, it would take away the pocket for QB's to step up into.

This would only result in more sacks or more arrant passes for our DB's to pick off.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I think it goes both ways. There were 7 games last year that Dak didn’t play the fourth quarter in….thats a lot of offensive production missing. Their offensive stats might’ve been even better if not for the D.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The offense can be better since the OL should be improved. So the run game should look better. Not great, but can be better.
With Zeke at short yardage and goal line situations, and pass protection. Opposing defenses will need to repeat that more than last year.
This will help Dak and the passing game, some RPO's and play action.

The defense can be better as well, since Zimmer will put more emphasis on stopping the run. And will play real LB's in their real positions. And play Safeties at their real positions. I am concerned about the pass rush though. Who will step up and how much were they depending on the progress of Sam Williams.
Will / can Zimmer control and pace Micah so he is not tired the 1st week of December.

Depth could be a concern for the entire team. We seem to have depth every year, but turns out not so much.