Winslow added to All-Time Busts?

phildominator

Reaction score
I ask the wise ole board - if KWII never plays another down because of this moto accident, could he be mentioned in the same breath as the Ryan Leaf's, Tony Mandarich's, Todd Blackledge's and Kelly Stouffer's?

thewivil

Reaction score
I wouldn't say anyone is a bust due to an injury ending their career.

slick325

Reaction score
phildominator said:
I ask the wise ole board - if KWII never plays another down because of this moto accident, could he be mentioned in the same breath as the Ryan Leaf's, Tony Mandarich's, Todd Blackledge's and Kelly Stouffer's?

Good question. They were discussing a similar topic on Mike and Mike in the Morning the other day. Greenberg says he doesn't see people like Steve Emtman (check spelling), Ki Jana Carter etc as busts because injury cut their careers short. Using that logic I would say no.

Duane

Reaction score
I don't think so because the other guys clearly failed on the field. KWII, if never seeing the field would always be "We'll never know how good he could have been.". Kind of like what happened with Andre Wadsworth.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
phildominator said:

They were busts because they stunk KWII can play and prob be dominate at TE. I hate he has this injury I'd like to see him do well but you know they are now the front runner for Matt L from USC next year and if they do get him they owe it all to KWII

:D

Roughneck

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
They were busts because they stunk KWII can play and prob be dominate at TE. I hate he has this injury I'd like to see him do well but you know they are now the front runner for Matt L from USC next year and if they do get him they owe it all to KWII

:D
Well that makes one of us.

booboo

Benched
Reaction score
What is the fascination with the hatred for this man on this particular board? All that he’s done is call himself a solder and then quickly retract that statement.

I can see the hatred for say Carter, Hambrick, and George because we had to endure these losers. Really who cares about some other teams TE, why care?

I wonder how many of you would make 2 or 3 mistakes at 22 years old with $5 million dollars in your pocket?

I think that there’s some deep seeded internal issues with most of you guys i.e. low self esteem mainly.

AJM1613

Reaction score
thewivil said:
I wouldn't say anyone is a bust due to an injury ending their career.

Winslow was picked by the Browns with the sixth pick of the draft and contributed 5 catches for 50 yards in the two games he played.

To call a player a "bust" you have to look at what the player accomplished compared to their draft position, not at the player's ability. He wasn't the same "type" of bust as Leaf, Ware, Couch, Mandarich, Blackledge, and Blair Thomas because he wasn't necessarily a bad pick for the Browns at the time, but looking back he was.

He'll probably play again and if he's 100% he could still be a Hall Of Famer, so this discussion is a little premature.

mbanx

Reaction score
He may not be a bust as far as talent goes but he definitley is a bonehead.

wxcpo

Reaction score
Speaking personally (I am a military member who served overseas in both the Afganistan and Iraq areas after 9-11) I found it very offensive that Winslow refered to himself as a soldier. He is nowhere near a soldier and it doesn't matter that he retracted it, he put it out there so obviously for a moment he thought of himself as one.

Now I don't label him a bust, yet, but he is definitely on his way. If we had drafted the guy imagine how we would feel as Cowboys fans right now. I sincerly hope he does come back and can play in the future, but I am just thankful that he is another team's problem.

Roughneck

Reaction score
booboo said:
What is the fascination with the hatred for this man on this particular board? All that he’s done is call himself a solder and then quickly retract that statement.

I can see the hatred for say Carter, Hambrick, and George because we had to endure these losers. Really who cares about some other teams TE, why care?

I wonder how many of you would make 2 or 3 mistakes at 22 years old with $5 million dollars in your pocket?

I think that there’s some deep seeded internal issues with most of you guys i.e. low self esteem mainly.
Thank you Dr. Phil.

:rolleyes:

If it was only one incident I could easily write it off as an action of immaturity. But even putting aside the motorcycle and his "I'm a ****ing soldier" quote, how do you explain someone dubbing themselves "The Chosen One"? Or doing the Heisman Pose after Catching a TD pass in Miami's very first game of the 2003 Season (his only Touchdown of the year)? Until I see evidence to the contrary, Kellen Winslow Jr. appears to be just one giant ******.

kidcard76

Reaction score
well... i dont know.... he will be out all of this year and most of last year... so.... lol...to hard to say

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
If he never plays again then he is as big a bust as any ever to come out. IF he does play again and play well then he is won't be. It is premature to call him a bust but his balloon is sitting on a pin point and one little push will make it a bust.

His outburst after the game in which he took the cheapshot on the opposing player and injured him then tried to justify it with the "Soldja" comment should have served notice to one and all that he had serious bust potential. Granted he had too much talent to not take a chance on drafting him but whoever took him should have known up front that he was a risk. We are now seeing that risk come to a head with this one.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Anyone ever think that he's been told a gillion times about how much of a warrior his father was? One of the NFL's most played clips have been of his father being carried off the field after his performance by what many call the greatest game in NFL history.

Funny how we hear about players past and present being called warriors or warrior of the game and choke back the tears when we reminese whatching them on ESPN classics but when a 19 year old call himself a soldier...oh my god, what an A-hole.

booboo

Benched
Reaction score
Roughneck said:
Thank you Dr. Phil.

:rolleyes:

If it was only one incident I could easily write it off as an action of immaturity. But even putting aside the motorcycle and his "I'm a ****ing soldier" quote, how do you explain someone dubbing themselves "The Chosen One"? Or doing the Heisman Pose after Catching a TD pass in Miami's very first game of the 2003 Season (his only Touchdown of the year)? Until I see evidence to the contrary, Kellen Winslow Jr. appears to be just one giant ******.

" Or doing the Heisman Pose after Catching a TD pass in Miami's very first game of the 2003 Season (his only Touchdown of the year)? Until I see evidence to the contrary, Kellen Winslow Jr. appears to be just one giant ******"

You just described Michael Irvin to a T here.

So I'm either going to put you down as an MI hater or as a person with double standards.

I enjoy reading posts about my team on this form, but as soon as some bonehead injects he's opinion this site becomes Comedy Central or would that be Moron Central?

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
booboo said:
" Or doing the Heisman Pose after Catching a TD pass in Miami's very first game of the 2003 Season (his only Touchdown of the year)? Until I see evidence to the contrary, Kellen Winslow Jr. appears to be just one giant ******"

You just described Michael Irvin to a T here.

So I'm either going to put you down as an MI hater or as a person with double standards.

I enjoy reading posts about my team on this form, but as soon as some bonehead injects he's opinion this site becomes Comedy Central or would that be Moron Central?

The last time i checked MichaelIrvin was a soon to be hall of Fame player, withan amazing NFL career. How in the world can you compare one friggin qoute to MI. He came out his rookie season and was instant impact, and carried it on, untill the dreadful day in Philty town. That my sir was a very unncesseray comment. and dumb at that

BadKarma

Reaction score
Too early to call him a bust. He's still young and will have the opportunity once he gets healthy.

I'm rooting for the guy myself.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
phildominator said:
If he never plays again, he will have taken a different route to get to the same destination as the others you mentioned. So if everybody starts in one equal spot and ends in one equal spot, can you say they were all alike? I'm thinking not so much.