Winslow added to All-Time Busts?

Roughneck

Reaction score
booboo said:
" Or doing the Heisman Pose after Catching a TD pass in Miami's very first game of the 2003 Season (his only Touchdown of the year)? Until I see evidence to the contrary, Kellen Winslow Jr. appears to be just one giant ******"

You just described Michael Irvin to a T here.
Aside from the fact that Michael Irvin did not play for Miami in their very first game of the 2003 Season, I don't ever remember seeing Mike strike the Heisman Pose during his time at Coral Gables, let alone after catching a Touchdown in the first freaking game of the season. Also note that Mike never had a season where he only scored one Touchdown. Aside from the fact that they both caught passes in College (at different positions) and both attended the same College (at different times), I'm not seeing a whole lot in common between the two.

edwardo

Reaction score
Seems to me that after two years and no production from an offensive player taken in the top ten; and top this off with a player that came in with an attitude problem . . . and then he screws up right before the season starts with a stupid stunt like a motorcycle accident, I would call this a bust until it is reversed on the field . . . this guy is worthless as tits on a boar hog . . . the Browns were given a gravy train and they totally screwed it up. Serves 'em right.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
Anyone ever think that he's been told a gillion times about how much of a warrior his father was? One of the NFL's most played clips have been of his father being carried off the field after his performance by what many call the greatest game in NFL history.

Funny how we hear about players past and present being called warriors or warrior of the game and choke back the tears when we reminese whatching them on ESPN classics but when a 19 year old call himself a soldier...oh my god, what an A-hole.

Who cares? There's a difference between everyone else calling his father a warrior and Winslow II calling himself a soldier.

The word is 'humility.' Something I seem to understand his father had...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
thewivil said:
I wouldn't say anyone is a bust due to an injury ending their career.

Exactly. IMO, to be a bust, you have to play, but play horribly.

RESIN8

Reaction score
wxcpo said:
Speaking personally (I am a military member who served overseas in both the Afganistan and Iraq areas after 9-11) I found it very offensive that Winslow refered to himself as a soldier. He is nowhere near a soldier and it doesn't matter that he retracted it, he put it out there so obviously for a moment he thought of himself as one.

Now I don't label him a bust, yet, but he is definitely on his way. If we had drafted the guy imagine how we would feel as Cowboys fans right now. I sincerly hope he does come back and can play in the future, but I am just thankful that he is another team's problem.

You've got to be kidding me. You found that offensive? THe guy was quoting some stupid rap group, and not referring himself to the brave serving.

This guy is a product of bad advice(Postons) and im suprised that his dad is backing him. His dad was a solider on the field that left it all out like in that game in Miami. A lot of coaches and players analogize the war terminology to the game of football. I mean are we gonna get all bent if Peyton Manning referred to his position as a Field General and that guys like Richard Seymour are trying to kill him?

I don't think he ment disrespect by the comment, even though it really sounded ********.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
wxcpo said:
Speaking personally (I am a military member who served overseas in both the Afganistan and Iraq areas after 9-11) I found it very offensive that Winslow refered to himself as a soldier. He is nowhere near a soldier and it doesn't matter that he retracted it, he put it out there so obviously for a moment he thought of himself as one.

Now I don't label him a bust, yet, but he is definitely on his way. If we had drafted the guy imagine how we would feel as Cowboys fans right now. I sincerly hope he does come back and can play in the future, but I am just thankful that he is another team's problem.

no disrespect, you guys are doing a hell of a job. but in his defense, alot of people compare football to war..not saying its anything near it, but that idea probably stuck with him, hearing it from his coaches for a wihle and whatever. I could definately see how it was a dumb comment, but give him a bit of a break. he's a 21 year old kid and he said ONE dumb thing

jamez25

Reaction score
Kind of like what happened with Andre Wadsworth.
I remember him healthy and playing against us and he did not impress me at all.....as for comparing Michael Irvin with "the soldjah"....he couldn't carry Irvin's jock strap...even in a humvee (the one's the army uses not the ones being bought by all these *******s)

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JackMagist said:
But...Ummm...Wasted Pick = Bust

No it doesn't. A wasted pick is exactly what this may have been, depending on whether or not he eventually returns.

A bust IMO, is someone who completely failed ON THE FIELD. It's not particularly fair to Winslow to call him a bust.

We truly don't even know if it's a wasted pick - yet.

The future holds the answer to that.

Leaf, Mandarich. etc. No those are busts. Players who had very high expectations but TOTALLY crapped out on the field.

Don't get me wrong, Winslow, from a personality standpoint, is a dud. Just unfair IMO to call him a bust. FWIW, of course.