(WIP Radio) Cowboys have a team that can compete for a decade... depressing

tyke1doe

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1832922 said:
And that would be stupid.

I don't think so. Essentially, we traded our pick in the first round this year to get in position to take McFadden. And, remember, we still got a first round pick from Philly and selected Anthony Spencer. So that first round pick from Cleveland was essentially a freebie or extra pick in my book because we didn't really have to sacrifice not taking the player we wanted (Spencer).

So let's say we give up two No. 1 picks this year for one player and then one for next year, which should be very low. In my estimation, you're really only giving up one extra pick for a player.

2007 1st round - Anthony Spencer.
2008 1st round - Darren McFadden.
2008 1st round - traded to Miami (Cleveland's freebie pick)
2009 1st round - traded to Miami.

If we hadn't traded back into the first round for Spencer, I'd consider the loss of the Cleveland pick greater. But I think that pick was made with the hope that Cleveland would draft No. 1 overall but the realization that it was a pick to use to manuever up the board to nab McFadden.

I don't think giving up 3 No. 1s under that scenario is all that unwise, especially if you think McFadden is the next great running back.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
STSINAZ;1832839 said:
i think jerry is going to get mcfadden...three firsts will get it done...2 this year and one next

If you were only looking for a response then here...
punch%20face-crop2.jpg

tyke1doe;1832938 said:
I don't think so. Essentially, we traded our pick in the first round this year to get in position to take McFadden. And, remember, we still got a first round pick from Philly and selected Anthony Spencer. So that first round pick from Cleveland was essentially a freebie or extra pick in my book because we didn't really have to sacrifice not taking the player we wanted (Spencer).

So let's say we give up two No. 1 picks this year for one player and then one for next year, which should be very low. In my estimation, you're really only giving up one extra pick for a player.

2007 1st round - Anthony Spencer.
2008 1st round - Darren McFadden.
2008 1st round - traded to Miami (Cleveland's freebie pick)
2009 1st round - traded to Miami.

If we hadn't traded back into the first round for Spencer, I'd consider the loss of the Cleveland pick greater. But I think that pick was made with the hope that Cleveland would draft No. 1 overall but the realization that it was a pick to use to manuever up the board to nab McFadden.

I don't think giving up 3 No. 1s under that scenario is all that unwise, especially if you think McFadden is the next great running back.

No matter how you slice it... ITS DUMB.
What is he trying to do? Top his Galloway blunder??

tyke1doe

Reaction score
YoMick;1832940 said:
No matter how you slice it... ITS DUMB.
What is he trying to do? Top his Galloway blunder??

I hated the Galloway trade too. But the reason I hated that trade was ...

1. Galloway was on his way out of Seattle anyway and.
2. The Cowboys had aged quicker than Jerry Jones realized and they were a few years removed from the peak of their power.

At any rate, we can agree to disagree. I really don't care which way we go, personally. I think three No.1s are okay (actually it's just two). I think about Dan Marino and all he needed was a great running back to push him over the top to another Super Bowl. He never really had that. If that player is there you go for him, especially if you have all the other elements in place.

Having said that, though, I would still be good to get a cornerback and a running back, which this drafts appears to be deep in.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I know the Pro-McFadden guys are going to jump me for this, but let me ask you ask question:

How many Elite teams in the NFL have elite running backs? And by Elite, I mean guys you would give up 3 number 1 picks right this minute to get them.

I bet a good case could be made that most of the Elite running backs play for marginal teams or ones that are underachievers.

Having McFadden on this team would be a great thing, but I do not think he puts us over the top.

This team needs a young Wide Receiver and a complimenatry RB much like Jones, but much more effective. Now whether that is through the draft or FA, who knows, but you may need some of those 3 number 1 picks to get them.

Wimbo

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1832958 said:
I know the Pro-McFadden guys are going to jump me for this, but let me ask you ask question:

How many Elite teams in the NFL have elite running backs? And by Elite, I mean guys you would give up 3 number 1 picks right this minute to get them.

I bet a good case could be made that most of the Elite running backs play for marginal teams or ones that are underachievers.

Having McFadden on this team would be a great thing, but I do not think he puts us over the top.

This team needs a young Wide Receiver and a complimenatry RB much like Jones, but much more effective. Now whether that is through the draft or FA, who knows, but you may need some of those 3 number 1 picks to get them.

I understand your logic, but on the other hand... Dallas had Emmitt Smith for its last dynasty. Was Emmitt necessary, or would Dallas had won as many games and Superbowls with say... Leroy Hoard (taken the round after Emmitt that year) at RB?

superpunk

Reaction score

There's more than one way to skin a cat. Just because the big winners aren't sporting franchise backs doesn't mean that's not a good route to take, particularly if you've already got a good QB.

But, if you have to skin the cat using 3 first rounders, yuo should probably bail on that endeavor.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
superpunk;1832977 said:
There's more than one way to skin a cat. Just because the big winners aren't sporting franchise backs doesn't mean that's not a good route to take, particularly if you've already got a good QB.

But, if you have to skin the cat using 3 first rounders, yuo should probably bail on that endeavor.

Of course, my whole point was based on the portion in bold.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
tyke1doe;1832955 said:
I hated the Galloway trade too. But the reason I hated that trade was ...

1. Galloway was on his way out of Seattle anyway and.
2. The Cowboys had aged quicker than Jerry Jones realized and they were a few years removed from the peak of their power.

At any rate, we can agree to disagree. I really don't care which way we go, personally. I think three No.1s are okay (actually it's just two). I think about Dan Marino and all he needed was a great running back to push him over the top to another Super Bowl. He never really had that. If that player is there you go for him, especially if you have all the other elements in place.

Having said that, though, I would still be good to get a cornerback and a running back, which this drafts appears to be deep in.

Agree on the agree to disagree....

The reason that trade was hated was because we lost 2 #1's and Galloway went down... when he did play he didnt do anything.. we had no QB.

It was a bad move.

What happens if you trade THREE #1's and McFadden gets hurt? All the eggs in one basket - never good!

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I would need to do some research, but I wonder when the last time a team won a Super Bowl right after spending 3 number 1 picks to acquire a rookie in the Draft the previous year?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score

Exactly. Not to mention that there are potentially a ton of good running backs in the draft. McFadden, Slaton, Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, Kevin Smith, Jonathan Stewart. Even guys like Tashard Choice or Chris Johnson might be a nice complement to Barber.

Turner is a free agent this year as well. How many teams are really in the running back market? It's a buyer's market this year IMO.

What would be the quickest, most efficient way to leverage free agency and the draft? One argument would be to sign a guy like Turner while drafting WR and CB early.