Wish I had my arm strength when I was in High School

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I've had a lot of injuries in my life, including a cyst in my tailbone area when I was a junior that basically derailed my football playing days in High School. I was a kicker and DLine. I wasn't like great or anything, but I had fun when I wasn't injured. That said, I've been noticing that my arm strength and kicking strength has gotten better. Granted, I'm 30 now, but I've been actually delighted with the way I have been throwing and kicking lately. Shame I don't have any video.

Firstly, I was at a beach nearby here in Cleveland in May, and I had a chance to punt in a pickup game. I bombed one that hit the upper-middle part of a tree that was probably about 30 yards away, and the kick had a lot more power to it to where it probably could've gone about 50 yards. In high school, I was lucky to get them to go 25-30 yards. I should note that I punted it barefoot.

Then, just before the USFL Championship game, where I saw the Birmingham Stallions (whose kicker is now a Cowboys kicker) beat the Maulers, I was throwing the ball around on a field near the museum (it's to the right of the museum). I threw one that went from the endzone line and hit my WR near the 40 yard line (who dropped it). I then had a few that day (should note, it was raining until about when the pregame show started and then it started again for a bit when the game started) where I was hitting my WR in the back of the endzone often and one that would've been a corner of the endzone TD if the WR had run a corner route. I never used to have that kind of arm strength. Not saying I'd ever be able to trot onto a Cowboys training camp. Besides, my injury history would probably prevent it before I even start to try to do anything. But, it's been fun to find.

Finally, I was at a meetup with a bunch of friends of mine. When I decided to take my suit head off after hanging out, some of my friends and me decided to throw the ball around. I started with a few medium passes that had a really good spiral on them. So, one of my friends wanted to see how long I could throw. So, he stepped back about 30 yards from where I was standing. I launched one, and overshot him by about 10 yards. So, he stood around 40 yards away, and for the most part, I was getting it to him. It hurt my arm a bit after a while so I had to step closer, but I was delivering several passes between 30-40+ yards, including one very lucky pass that nearly went 50. Mind you, I was throwing barefoot both this time and the USFL game as I had sandals and took them off. Also, I found that I've got a bit of zip on it when I throw while running to the right. So, yeah, I really wish I had this strength when I was in high school. This was fun seeing it and playing with my friends today. Then again, with my injuries, I probably wouldn't have made it very far past high school with American Football. Besides, I was just having fun throwing it around, and I'm thrilled with how far I was able to throw it today and last week.

What are some skills with football that you've found that you either still have or that you've been surprised to find that you've actually improved at from HS until now?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I've had a lot of injuries in my life, including a cyst in my tailbone area when I was a junior that basically derailed my football playing days in High School. I was a kicker and DLine. I wasn't like great or anything, but I had fun when I wasn't injured. That said, I've been noticing that my arm strength and kicking strength has gotten better. Granted, I'm 30 now, but I've been actually delighted with the way I have been throwing and kicking lately. Shame I don't have any video.

Firstly, I was at a beach nearby here in Cleveland in May, and I had a chance to punt in a pickup game. I bombed one that hit the upper-middle part of a tree that was probably about 30 yards away, and the kick had a lot more power to it to where it probably could've gone about 50 yards. In high school, I was lucky to get them to go 25-30 yards. I should note that I punted it barefoot.

Then, just before the USFL Championship game, where I saw the Birmingham Stallions (whose kicker is now a Cowboys kicker) beat the Maulers, I was throwing the ball around on a field near the museum (it's to the right of the museum). I threw one that went from the endzone line and hit my WR near the 40 yard line (who dropped it). I then had a few that day (should note, it was raining until about when the pregame show started and then it started again for a bit when the game started) where I was hitting my WR in the back of the endzone often and one that would've been a corner of the endzone TD if the WR had run a corner route. I never used to have that kind of arm strength. Not saying I'd ever be able to trot onto a Cowboys training camp. Besides, my injury history would probably prevent it before I even start to try to do anything. But, it's been fun to find.

Finally, I was at a meetup with a bunch of friends of mine. When I decided to take my suit head off after hanging out, some of my friends and me decided to throw the ball around. I started with a few medium passes that had a really good spiral on them. So, one of my friends wanted to see how long I could throw. So, he stepped back about 30 yards from where I was standing. I launched one, and overshot him by about 10 yards. So, he stood around 40 yards away, and for the most part, I was getting it to him. It hurt my arm a bit after a while so I had to step closer, but I was delivering several passes between 30-40+ yards, including one very lucky pass that nearly went 50. Mind you, I was throwing barefoot both this time and the USFL game as I had sandals and took them off. Also, I found that I've got a bit of zip on it when I throw while running to the right. So, yeah, I really wish I had this strength when I was in high school. This was fun seeing it and playing with my friends today. Then again, with my injuries, I probably wouldn't have made it very far past high school with American Football. Besides, I was just having fun throwing it around, and I'm thrilled with how far I was able to throw it today and last week.

What are some skills with football that you've found that you either still have or that you've been surprised to find that you've actually improved at from HS until now?
Lol what a great post. As I have gotten older I have developed freakish old man strength. My family calls me “Lenny”. Bookish types will get the reference. With this strength come an unnatural lack of flexibility and a rotation of soreness. I swear that I am going to go on a yoga kick to help that. Still waiting on the final inspiration. Football wise I can still pick it. Got good hands. My arm though is weird. Can sling it but really struggle throwing a spiral. Maybe can’t snap the wrist anymore. Who knows. My freakish strength and overall mean disposition would allow me to blow up a couple people but no doubt I would tear a hammy before the end of the first quarter.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Lol what a great post. As I have gotten older I have developed freakish old man strength. My family calls me “Lenny”. Bookish types will get the reference. With this strength come an unnatural lack of flexibility and a rotation of soreness. I swear that I am going to go on a yoga kick to help that. Still waiting on the final inspiration. Football wise I can still pick it. Got good hands. My arm though is weird. Can sling it but really struggle throwing a spiral. Maybe can’t snap the wrist anymore. Who knows. My freakish strength and overall mean disposition would allow me to blow up a couple people but no doubt I would tear a hammy before the end of the first quarter.

That's pretty cool. My throwing motion is a bit strange. Mainly with the footwork. I tend to kick out when I'm throwing long.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
When I was late 20s, I used to go toss the football around too.

At that point, though, you're not really going to play anywhere other than in the street and things like that. I've always had a pretty good arm. Probably not now that I'm pushing 50, but I could hit home plate from the fence in center field in HS. Never really considered myself a QB, but I threw the ball a lot better when I was older myself.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
When I was late 20s, I used to go toss the football around too.

At that point, though, you're not really going to play anywhere other than in the street and things like that. I've always had a pretty good arm. Probably not now that I'm pushing 50, but I could hit home plate from the fence in center field in HS. Never really considered myself a QB, but I threw the ball a lot better when I was older myself.

That's a good arm still, being able to hit home plate from the fence.

CowboysFilmStudy

Reaction score

Yeah? How much you wanna bet you could throw a football over those mountains?
200w.gif