With 20+ FAs, this organization needs a GM with a critical eye

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Surely our fans know by now one of the biggest if not most fatal flaw of our egomaniac GM: He falls in love with HIS players too long.

Why is this so bad? Well…GMs winning SBs have two important qualities: 1. Their job is on the line and they are motivated accordingly. 2. They have a wary eye for their own players. Meaning they can see when a player has lost a step or lost value before others do.

But our GM doesn’t have those qualities. He runs this team like a fan, not a true GM. And it has been killing this organization for 26 years and counting.

And facing an off-season where more than 20 current players are about to hit the FA market- with 8 of those players current starters and 4 more significant contributors- a discerning eye is needed. Not a super fan’s eye like the GM we have.

Here are the players I believe we need to part ways with- some who are still under contract:
  • Zeke Elliott- he’s a cap liability who needs to be a Pre-June 1 cut for cap space. He’s an average at best RB who is the highest paid RB in the league. 31 other teams would cut him. I doubt Jerry will.
  • Amari Cooper- another too expensive player. Yes he’s an excellent receiver but what has that translated to on this team at $20 mil a season? Very little. I would let him go. The team has an escape route this off-season in his deal.
  • Connor Williams- he can lead the league in holding penalties somewhere else.
  • Randy Gregory- I vacillate on this one. He has talent for sure but he is also someone who has proven undependable. I would make an offer but wouldn’t match a higher price.
  • LVE- adios. Good guy who gives us average at best LB play. And an injury waiting to happen.
  • Keanu Neal- was just bad this year. Bye.
  • Noah Brown- seems like he’s been here 10 years. Hasn’t developed that much. Bye.
  • Jeremy Sprinkle- backup TE who played like one. See ya.
  • Ty Nseke- the swing T we signed last spring to be our backup T and he was so bad we almost never used him. This is a no brainer. Buh-bye.
  • Carlos Watkins- made a few plays but wasn’t as good at stopping the run as we hoped.
  • Damontae Kazee- meh.
  • Brent Urban- wasn’t bad but he’s not worth the cap space.
  • Malik Hooker-
Players I would try to keep:
  • Jayron Kearse- was a bright spot and playmaker at S. Unless this team decides to finally draft a S, I would keep Kearse.
  • Brian Anger- best P in the league. A real weapon. Is he affordable though?
  • Michael Gallup- he’s been great but he will probably be too expensive IMO. I would make a play to keep him but doubt we can afford him.
  • Dalton Schultz- another we may not be able to afford. But he’s turned into a very dependable receiver even though he’s not spectacular.
  • Cedric Wilson- has turned into a versatile playmaker. He should be more affordable than Gallup.
  • Dorance Armstrong- made lots of plays this year and I believe is still developing. If we can keep him at a decent price, yes. He may be the replacement for Gregory.
  • Jake McQuade- long snapper. These guys are hard to find and he did a good job.
  • Malik Turner- this guy has a lot of potential. If Gallup and Cooper are gone he may have role here.
  • Cory Clement- could be a committee RB paired with Tony Pollard. He’s also a great STs player.
The draft will also need to provide immediate help at OL and perhaps LB.
Wish we had a GM on the hot seat.

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
Like last year we need to get 3-4 starters in the draft. Other than that, we are pretty hosed. I think a lot of these FAs will take some other teams money.