With all the complaints about the offense's sluggishness...

stilltheguru

Reaction score
thats exactly what i was thinking.We shall see august 12, or 13th whenever we play seattle.

silver

Reaction score
yes. but...we're never gonna be happy.
you got a point though, this defense echoes memories of 1992. we got all the pieces together to make a push for all the marbles. how good are we that we can have the luxury of moving greg ellis around, our top pass rusher the last 8 years, because we have so much depth. in '92 we also had veterans like jeffcoat and such making sacrifices for the good of the team. our starting linemen were tolbert, maryland, casillas and haley with jeffcoat, jimmie jones and leon lett coming in on passing downs. only haley stayed in. we also had one chad hennings riding the pine all season. this year our front seven is scary. so much that our golden boy this time around (carpenter) will prolly ride the pine for a while too.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
a sluggish offense has nothing to do with a good defense. If the offense is sluggish, that means they arent sharp, missing blocks, dropping passes, etc. A great defense will be stopping them when those things arent happening.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Future 585 said:
a sluggish offense has nothing to do with a good defense. If the offense is sluggish, that means they arent sharp, missing blocks, dropping passes, etc. A great defense will be stopping them when those things arent happening.
A good defense can make a good offense look sluggish. Are you actually trying to deny this?

silver

Reaction score
the offense will come around once flo & co hit on all 8 cilinders.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
theogt said:
A good defense can make a good offense look sluggish. Are you actually trying to deny this?

I'm saying that a sluggish offense will look sluggish regardless of what the defense is doing. An offense can look crisp but still get pretty much dominated.

I haven't seen enough of TC to know what is going on, but im saying it isn't necessarily the defense being that great.

Manster68

Reaction score
Well, Big Bill has said that the secondary has been playing very well.

So well that they are even challenging Terrell Owens.

If the secondary can play well against Owens, imagine how well the defense will play if it gets an improved pass rush?

On top of that, imagine what the defense could be if they play more with a lead? You know, more opportunities for the pass rush to pin their ears back and attack the quarterback?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Future 585 said:
I'm saying that a sluggish offense will look sluggish regardless of what the defense is doing. An offense can look crisp but still get pretty much dominated.

I haven't seen enough of TC to know what is going on, but im saying it isn't necessarily the defense being that great.
"Sluggishness" is relative. If the defense is flying to the ball, beating blocks, etc. it makes the offense looks sluggish.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Anyone coinsider the fact that our defense may just be THAT good?

and maybe the offense is that bad which makes the defense look that good.

2 sides to everything, man.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
iceberg said:
and maybe the offense is that bad which makes the defense look that good.

2 sides to everything, man.
Well that "side" has been talked to death around here for the last week. Hence the purpose of discussing the other "side".

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
theogt said:
Well that "side" has been talked to death around here for the last week. Hence the purpose of discussing the other "side".

sorry man - just keeping it real. : )

in all, i *do* expect the defense to be a top 5 unit, so will agree it's a good one. but i'm not excusing our offense cause bp has had JUST as much time to work on it, but he seems to be having more fun on the D side fo the ball.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
iceberg said:
sorry man - just keeping it real. : )

in all, i *do* expect the defense to be a top 5 unit, so will agree it's a good one. but i'm not excusing our offense cause bp has had JUST as much time to work on it, but he seems to be having more fun on the D side fo the ball.
I really don't think the offense has been that bad from the reports I've read. I would hope that our schemes are complex enough that we wouldn't be able to get timing down in 3-4 days.

Draegerman

Internet Somebody
Reaction score
theogt said:
Actually, the other "side" has been discussed by Mosley & co. while reporting from training camp. I think that the bottom line is that our defense is more in sync at this time than our offense, which gives merit as to why the offense is more sluggish.

Bizwah

Reaction score
stilltheguru said:
We shall see august 12, or 13th whenever we play seattle.

No, I don't think we will.

Historically, Bill doesn't give us the best gameplan in our first preseason game. The first PS game is usually when he wants to see how we'll react to adversity.

Expect another poor offensive performance......we may get a decent idea of what we have on defense, but we won't learn anything about the offense.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
probably sluggish b/c Gurode is running first team center

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this time of year, and for the first few weeks. Defenses are always ahead of the Offenses. It will show in the first presaeason game also.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I'm not even sure the preseason is gonna tell us much. Parcells tries to work on most of the stuff we aren't good at in pre-season. Remember the Arizona game where we kept running the same running play over and over. Arizona knew it was coming. So, Parcells got blasted in the media. He said, to the media that you don't know what I'm trying to do...... So, we need to wait till a few weeks into the season it see just how good our offense is.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
jazzcat22 said:
At this time of year, and for the first few weeks. Defenses are always ahead of the Offenses. It will show in the first presaeason game also.

I was reading an article on Philly.com and they were mentioning the same thing about the Eagirls right now.