News: With Martin done, Collins sole long term question on Cowboys OL

Ebnorice

Reaction score
With Zack Martin finally locked up as the highest-paid guard in the NFL with a $93 million contract, the Cowboys can rest easy that their three first-round picks on the offensive line are now all locked up until at least 2023. Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick signed extensions in 2014 and 2016 respectively and Zack Martin is around until at least 2024 with his new deal.

Newcomer Connor Williams has a deal that can keep him here until at least 2021 so the Cowboys have secured the future of the most important position group.T he one player who doesn’t have a long-term future at the moment is the right tackle, La’el Collins.

Collins’ uncertain future with the Cowboys has nothing to do with his character or his performance.

Collins has always been a unique case ever since he arrived in the NFL in 2015.

A sure-fire first-round pick coming out of LSU, Collins found himself in the middle of a police investigation in the days leading up to the draft. A former girlfriend was found shot dead in her apartment and on the eve of the draft, Collins had to fly home to meet with the police.

Of course, this made him nearly undraftable because of the ongoing police investigation and Collins’ career looked to be over before it began.

Collins, who professed innocence all along, was never named as a suspect and was cleared during the draft, but it was too late. The first few rounds had already concluded, and Collins had lost out on millions.

He and his agent made a gamble to let teams know he wanted to make it to UDFA status. And it worked.

This strange turn of events landed Collins in the unlikely locale of Dallas. A team that already had three first-round picks got a pseudo fourth first-round pick when Collins signed has an undrafted free agent.

After two years, the minimum years of service for an undrafted free agent, the Cowboys made good on their promise to take care of Collins and made up for all the money he lost in the draft process; he signed a three-year deal leading up to the 2017 season worth close to $12 million, similar to what he would’ve received had he been drafted in the first round like he should’ve been.

While Collins’ service is guaranteed for the next two years, the Cowboys will find themselves having to make a tough decision very soon.

They already have close to $300 million invested in their offensive line and after 2018, players such as Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott will be eligible for a new contract.

There is only so much money that can go around in the salary cap era and Collins may be the odd man out of the group when it comes for his first real pay day?

Collins battled through injury and played every game at right tackle in 2017 and looks to have that spot locked up again heading into 2018.

Leading into the draft, Dallas floated the Best 5 concept which could’ve resulted in a move back to left guard where he played his first two years. The selection of Williams to play guard secured Collins home on the right edge, leaving off-season free-agent signing Cam Fleming as the swing tackle.

If Collins can string together another strong season, Pro Bowls and All Pro honors could be in Collins’ future; he does play on the most recognizable offensive line in the NFL after all.

:starspin::starspin::starspin:
For the lazies, who I know won’t click the button, I have copied the article for you
I would personally say Tyron is a even bigger question. Back issues can ruin careers

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
As for long term OLine contracts:

Frederick, Smith, Martin all locked up for years, cornerstones in place.

Williams on 4 year deal, hasn't played a down, too early to worry about. Leave him at LG and be happy that 4 spots are stable for years.

Collins on a 2 year deal. Leave him at RT and let's see what he grows into there:

Is he good but not great? That might be cheap and that might be good enough given his neighbor.

Is he great? Let him test the market and consider him if hes affordable. This is a unit that will get an Oliner in the HOF if he sticks around, and there's gotta be loyalty points given his story. More than likely he gets a massive deal elsewhere. Maybe he has a 16 game pro bowl season, and so you take your 3rd round comp pick to the bank. Or, he might not even be that great on a different team.

Is he average or bad? If he looks bad with this unit then let him walk.

Fleming? 1 year deal. It feels good to have a swing tackle we can trust, doesn't it? But, he's got all the marks of a classic Dallas bridge player, and I think you gotta treat him as such: evaluate and continue paying if affordable.

My thinking is that you plan for Collins to develop and walk. If you can keep him, great, but I think you just gotta be glad you got what you did as it was a stroke of fate that landed him here. Besides, if he develops into something, you could be looking at a 3rd round comp pick to boot. It shouldn't be hard to land a rookie or FA to play solid RT. With this supporting cast we only need solid and shouldn't pay for great.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
What trouble and how did it manifest?

And "kicking the can down the road" is great business in the NFL. The cap expands so those dollars buy less ie are worth less in future years and more in the present. There is no interest.

Handwaving at the Cowboys restructures is a big part of the fearmongering.

The issue was not paying money to a corner; the issue was with not scouting out someone better than Carr. It was the same with Hamlin, Barber, RW11 and others.

We stopped paying age and we stopped spending in VFA and instead focused on drafting and player development. We still hand out big contracts and restructure them procedurally.

The last time we were in cap hell as people like to moniker it was when Troy, Michael, Emmitt, and Deion were signed to big contracts and then Troy and Michael were forced to retire back to back.

Eating those prorations forced them to cut a lot of players. That has never happened since. They were not forced to move on from Ware because of the cap either.

Meh, that sounds like a chicken or the egg viewpoint.

Yeah, you say the scouts picked a bad corner to pay, but at the end of the day they paid one, and the cap suffered for it, and they had to deal with it.

Yeah, you say the scouting improved and they stopped wasting money on VFA, but they didn't have the money to waste without "kicking the can down the road".

Yeah, you say that future dollars are worth more, but future contracts are more costly and future dead money is bigger. If we kicked the can down the road, would we have 50 million in cap space next year? Would we have the youth?

It's chicken or the egg, idk which of us is correct or if it's possible to even seperate the two concepts with the data and public info available.

We're both right?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:laugh:
I feel ya pappy. I challenge you to say one positive, nice, or optimistic thing about the cowboys today. Just one.

All kidding aside, it is a dilemma about the Oline. Ok now back to that happy, nice, or positive post. Just one.
Pappy or crappy?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke...Lee...D-Law...Awezie....Offline...Hurns....Beasley...Twill....Heath(special teams only)

On the fence.....Our Rooks....

Waiting for them to pop up and say Hello.....Jaylon Collin Trapper Taco Woods Gregory

Not sold on...Dak...Dak...Dak...Dak....

Did Pappy make you Happy? lol
Pappy with the happy ending!!

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Zeke...Lee...D-Law...Awezie....Offline...Hurns....Beasley...Twill....Heath(special teams only)

On the fence.....Our Rooks....

Waiting for them to pop up and say Hello.....Jaylon Collin Trapper Taco Woods Gregory

Not sold on...Dak...Dak...Dak...Dak....

Did Pappy make you Happy? lol
You did pappy! I knew you were capable!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Meh, that sounds like a chicken or the egg viewpoint.

Yeah, you say the scouts picked a bad corner to pay, but at the end of the day they paid one, and the cap suffered for it, and they had to deal with it.

Yeah, you say the scouting improved and they stopped wasting money on VFA, but they didn't have the money to waste without "kicking the can down the road".

Yeah, you say that future dollars are worth more, but future contracts are more costly and future dead money is bigger. If we kicked the can down the road, would we have 50 million in cap space next year? Would we have the youth?

It's chicken or the egg, idk which of us is correct or if it's possible to even seperate the two concepts with the data and public info available.

We're both right?

Not really. I think the question is what is good cap management. You seem to try to project personal finance concepts like kicking the can down the road and make it about that. I look at it as roster construction and how you proportion where you pay your players and how you utilize price control measures like rookie contracts.

And you provide absolutely nothing to say how cap issues prevented us from doing anything. No players that we could not sign or players we had to cut. All I see is general fearmongering with nothing actually manifest.

As for costs being higher that is right but you are missing the point. By pushing the costs forward you are trading for a percentage of cap dollars in the present year for a smaller percentage in following years. You get the whole cap every year. Losing 5% of your budget will always be better than losing 10%. Add into that how assets in hand are always worth more than future assets and it makes it a no brainer.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
What are we gonna have the half a billion dollar oline?

Cant pay everyone, and we should be CONCERNED about T Smith; his contract/health dont add up.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What are we gonna have the half a billion dollar oline?

Cant pay everyone, and we should be CONCERNED about T Smith; his contract/health dont add up.

You can never have enough Beef on the offline !!!! Heck we have a QB who need's 10 sec to pass and Zeke is worthless unless he's running behind all that Meat and Dr. Evil agrees baby!!!

P.S. Defense who needs one of those now .....jeez....don't you know the opposing offense wont't get on the field bud.....JJ football...looks good on paper and crashes in real time...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is 2 years away, why are people so concerned over it now. And it is an easy fix. Get rid of Twill and very unproductive Crawford, and there is the money to extend Collins.

Other than that, get back to this worrying in 2 years. Even then, I will not be worried. Not concerned at all.
And there is nothing any of us can do anyway.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I doubt we pay Collins. To date, he hasn't played like a guy who deserves a big extension (the contract we gave him was to make him whole on his deserved 1st round contract), and we just can't support 4 big offensive line contracts plus a Dak mega-deal.

Don't be surprised if we draft a tackle high next offseason to replace either him or Tyron.
I can also see a mid-round developmental guy but I certainly agree with you OT or G with an eye on replacing Collins.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
This is 2 years away, why are people so concerned over it now. And it is an easy fix. Get rid of Twill and very unproductive Crawford, and there is the money to extend Collins.

Other than that, get back to this worrying in 2 years. Even then, I will not be worried. Not concerned at all.
And there is nothing any of us can do anyway.

It's the offseason and we're having a discussion on a team fan forum about the state of the team. None of us can do anything anyway about anything related to Dallas so by your logic why are you even here?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's the offseason and we're having a discussion on a team fan forum about the state of the team. None of us can do anything anyway about anything related to Dallas so by your logic why are you even here?

For the same reason you are, and DO NOT even start this crap questioning why am I here. I stated my opinion so live with it.
What, you think by your smart arse response I will go away. You are wrong.

MrPhil

Reaction score
:laugh:
I feel ya pappy. I challenge you to say one positive, nice, or optimistic thing about the cowboys today. Just one.

All kidding aside, it is a dilemma about the Oline. Ok now back to that happy, nice, or positive post. Just one.

He can be whatever he wants on my ignore list.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I'm wagering Collins plays well enough that we want to keep him, and we might. Dak (assuming we keep him) would need a new contract then, so we probably let Collins go (comp pick possibly). Still, if you're going to spend money, a homegrown OL is hard to go wrong with.

I think we'll have a better idea what William's can do after this year. Fleming as well. Flemings only going to be 26 in September, he can improve. Maybe we lock him up as a swing tackle with potential after this season, who knows.

Depending on how William's plays, I'd be looking for a T next year. If you're lucky and are pretty confident he could play T then you can just draft a G which is a better position to be in.

I wouldnt wait until his contract season to start looking, but if value doesnt fall we might do it. A T or G in the top 2 rounds after Collins' second year should be able to step in.

Anyways, long way away, but the draft next year could be a good indicator of what Collins' future looks like. Or he could just be awesome and we lock him up, there are worse ways of spending cap.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The way I see it I think that Connor is the future at RT, ease him into the NFL between two All-Pros, let him get some NFL weight training and swing him over in two years When Collins will most likely want premiere money. They will need to sign a young LG next year or draft a replacement for Connor. Much easier to find OG due to the strict measurable that OT calls for so many draft have ton of NFL guard types even if the guy played tackle all through college.

The OL as it is projected has 4 College tackles on it.