Twitter: With Martin likely going to Tackle it looks like McGovern will be starting at Guard

HungryLion

Reaction score
McGovern was a 3rd round pick. He has NFL starting caliber athletic ability. He was a multi year starter at Penn State.

there was a set back from injury and there is bound to be growing pains. But I would not be surprised in the least if he is able to be a competent starter for the cowboys.

Here’s to hoping he can.

if McGovern can play well at guard. I honestly feel ok with Knight and Martin at tackle. Not as good as Tyron and LC at tackle. But still.

Jipper

Reaction score
McGovern is no Zach Martin. But he was a good run blocker at Penn State.

agreed but unfortunately at the pro level he has not demonstrated that he has the strength to get the type of push for separation that Martin gets....

I think he’s going to be good for us but just a year off still

HungryLion

Reaction score
agreed but unfortunately at the pro level he has not demonstrated that he has the strength to get the type of push for separation that Martin gets....

I think he’s going to be good for us but just a year off still

You may be right. The injury set him back. A torn pectoral is tough on a offensive lineman.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I honestly expect Martin to play at a pro bowl level at tackle.

So I’m not worried about that. We just need somebody to fill in competently at that guard spot.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
McGovern > Steele but Unfortunately I think we’re going to see Steele start and RT again. I think Martin gets moved after they realize Steele can’t play right now.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Nelson in Indy might be the only one and I am not totally sure he could do it. That kid is awesome though.

He is awesome. However, he didn't play T in college. That tells me he's likely not great on the outside because guys in the NFL drafted high tend to have played outside in college because you always put your best out there.

cern

Reaction score
It's not like there were other options. Though it's possible zack goes left and knight goes right. We'll see sunday. Possible record high temps expected.

kumizi

Reaction score
Mike Backsik is the single stupidest sports "analyst" in the DFW area. He can't even analyze baseball, the sport he played at the major league level. Maybe he's right but I'd wait for a better source.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Keeping Martin on the right side will be prudent as he can coach up the new guy and also will be better for Martin too, as he is strong at the point of attack & no spring chicken ( Most RTs will face the stronger but not fast pass rushers ) Let knight develop on the Left side , slide a blocking TE to help that side and carry on , there will be growing pains but you need to go through .

Williams is a disappointment, even though he bulked up still he gets overpowered completely.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
As long as he is not driven backwards by opposing DT's like rollerskates Connor Williams. Connor Williams is just to weak and it shows up on a few negative plays a game. Let's get a guard in there with grit and I can handle some learning mistakes.

McGovern was considered NFL ready for power last year. His relative weakness is pass protection.