With QBs you either have it or you don't

csirl

Reaction score
Cowboys dont value the QB position. Dont draft them high, dont sign blue chip FAs. We have the worst QB depth in the league by a considerable margin.

Praxit

Reaction score
It's very obvious very early that a QB can play or not. This CAN be decided in the first season.
1. Tom Brady had it enough to automatically back up Drew Bledsoe right away.
2. Tony Romo was the best QB on the field his rookie season......Darren Woodson
3. Dak Prescott no matter how many haters, has it and had it his rookie year
4. Cooper Rush showed early he has it to at least be a capable backup and lead this team to at least a 500 record if anything should happen to Dak.

Mike White does not have it. It's very obvious, he should be cut and we should not waste a roster spot on a 3rd QB. Scan the waiver wire for a practice squad QB.
.......I must agree, a sad tale but arguably so.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's very obvious very early that a QB can play or not. This CAN be decided in the first season.
4. Cooper Rush showed early he has it to at least be a capable backup and lead this team to at least a 500 record if anything should happen to Dak.

Mike White does not have it. It's very obvious, he should be cut and we should not waste a roster spot on a 3rd QB. Scan the waiver wire for a practice squad QB.

I think I understand your point; however, you might need different wording.

I would say that it's very obvious very early that a QB does not have "it".

I would not say that it's always obvious early that a QB does have "it".

Young QBs could be put into 3 groups:
1. Definitely does not have "it".
2. Likely has "it" but needs significant time to know for certain.
3. Definitely has "it".

Examples
  • Mike White is in group 1.
  • Romo was in group 2.
  • Dak is either group 3 or group 2.
  • Rush is in group 2 but "it" means NFL backup in his case.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm looking at all these backup quarterbacks throughout the league. And I'm saying to myself not bad young man. And then I'm looking at rush and white. And thinking how do we not pick somebody else up. Like the bottom of the barrel you ask me
Joe Webb is looking really good as a backup to Watson in Houston.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think I understand your point; however, you might need different wording.

I would say that it's very obvious very early that a QB does not have "it".

I would not say that it's always obvious early that a QB does have "it".

Young QBs could be put into 3 groups:
1. Definitely does not have "it".
2. Likely has "it" but needs significant time to know for certain.
3. Definitely has "it".

Examples
  • Mike White is in group 1.
  • Romo was in group 2.
  • Dak is either group 3 or group 2.
  • Rush is in group 2 but "it" means NFL backup in his case.
Nice.

I'd say Rush is in group 3, but lacks the physical attributes to succeed at a high level.

kskboys

Reaction score
Kurt Warner and Rick Gannon career arcs say otherwise. Some people take time to develop. It's not uncommon in sports. Hell, Sandy Koufax was mediocre his first seven years before he finally broke out. If he wasn't a lefty he might not have hung on. The Phillies almost gave up on Mike Schmidt after he batted .196 his rookie year--now he is widely considered to be the best 3rd baseman in MLB history. Maybe Mike White doesn't have it, maybe he flat out sucks, but to make an all-encompassing blanket statement about young players is a mistake GM's in all sports have paid for with their jobs.
Sandy Koufax, wow. I'm glad you pointed that out about him, because I didn't know that.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Kurt Warner and Rick Gannon career arcs say otherwise. Some people take time to develop. It's not uncommon in sports. Hell, Sandy Koufax was mediocre his first seven years before he finally broke out. If he wasn't a lefty he might not have hung on. The Phillies almost gave up on Mike Schmidt after he batted .196 his rookie year--now he is widely considered to be the best 3rd baseman in MLB history. Maybe Mike White doesn't have it, maybe he flat out sucks, but to make an all-encompassing blanket statement about young players is a mistake GM's in all sports have paid for with their jobs.
Come on, Kurt Warner is a perfect example. The guy had it in his first season. It was obvious he had it. He was also very good in the arena league.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Drew Brees was replaced in SD not 3 years after they drafted him 32nd overall.

Eli Manning resembled a trash compactor his first year, a heck of a lot more than he does now.

Anyone remember Jared Goff’s rookie year? Troy Aikman’s? Brett Favre’s? Even Wentz didn’t set the world on fire before being runner up for MVP the very next year.

There are dozens more. I would counter argue and QB is the hardest position in team sports, and a learning curve is fully expected. The guys who come out of the gate running are the exceptions, not the rule.
All the guys mentioned could move an offense in the preseason or practice in their first and or second years. Mike White can barely get the team a first down in 7 on 7 drills.

kskboys

Reaction score
All the guys mentioned could move an offense in the preseason or practice in their first and or second years. Mike White can barely get the team a first down in 7 on 7 drills.
White looks shocked when he actually sees a WR and throws it to him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Come on, Kurt Warner is a perfect example. The guy had it in his first season. It was obvious he had it. He was also very good in the arena league.
And I think Gannon is a clear example of someone who did not have "it", but played so long he finally became competent. Same w/ Frank Reich.

Same w/ me in slow pitch softball. I coached a team and played for 10 years. And I was a terrible pitcher. However, after trying to emulate the high arcs in practice so my hitters could learn to hit them, I actually became a good pitcher around that time. I was far from natural, but I became good at it after around 10 years of doing it a lot.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The biggest problem I have is that White doesn't look like he's benefitted from the year of development he's already got. The book on him from Western Kentucky was a pocket QB with a live arm but a slow processor. If anything, he looks even more mechanical this year than he did as a rookie. I'm not in the meeting rooms and on the practice field with him every day, so I can't say myself, but the coaches need to decide how likely it is that he'll fix his issues with another year on the PS based on what they are seeing.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Kurt Warner spent 1994 on the Packers practice squad, three years playing for the Iowa Barnstormers, then a year with the Amsterdam Admirals before he ever played for the Rams. It was so "obvious he had it" he was backing up Trent Green, and only got a chance to start when Green tore his ACL.

So five years of bouncing around and then an injury to finally get a shot = obvious. :facepalm:

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Kurt Warner spent 1994 on the Packers practice squad, three years playing for the Iowa Barnstormers, then a year with the Amsterdam Admirals before he ever played for the Rams. It was so "obvious he had it" he was backing up Trent Green, and only got a chance to start when Green tore his ACL.

So five years of bouncing around and then an injury to finally get a shot = obvious. :facepalm:
And what did he do in his first nfl season? Was he not first team for arena league?

Flamma

Reaction score

I agree with everything you've said. But right now I don't think we have a solid backup at QB. Cooper Rush reminds me a lot of Gary Hogeboom.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Cooper Rush doesn't have it either.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper Rush doesn't have it either.

I'd Start Rush in a heartbeat over Dak!
First and foremost he has better ACCURACY don't know if you've heard but it's needed when you're playing QB.
He also has better awr in the pocket and presence.
Put Rush in with the first team and baby the passing game in general will improve.
Now don't misunderstand me Rush by no means is a verified NFL starting QB but compared to Lemon Dak the improvement in our passing game would be guaranteed!

Reid1boys

Reaction score

so.... Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Joe Montana are al three on the same roster. Brees in year 3, Montana a Rookie, and Brady in year 1.... 1 of those three is going to the practice squad.
Warner was on a team with a HOF QB and a pro bowler in front of him. What the hell did you think was gonna happen to him?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'd Start Rush in a heartbeat over Dak!
First and foremost he has better ACCURACY don't know if you've heard but it's needed when you're playing QB.
He also has better awr in the pocket and presence.
Put Rush in with the first team and baby the passing game in general will improve.
Now don't misunderstand me Rush by no means is a verified NFL starting QB but compared to Lemon Dak the improvement in our passing game would be guaranteed!

LOL......Im sure you would buddy. Always good for a laugh. Cooper in for Dak? Nicely done. Keep up the good work. The board would be a lessor place without you.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Drew Brees was replaced in SD not 3 years after they drafted him 32nd overall.

Eli Manning resembled a trash compactor his first year, a heck of a lot more than he does now.

Anyone remember Jared Goff’s rookie year? Troy Aikman’s? Brett Favre’s? Even Wentz didn’t set the world on fire before being runner up for MVP the very next year.

There are dozens more. I would counter argue and QB is the hardest position in team sports, and a learning curve is fully expected. The guys who come out of the gate running are the exceptions, not the rule.

Brees had a major shoulder injury and already was thought of as too small and they were simply afraid of how hes recover..got what they could for him and both teams ended up in the positive..Brees ended u with a better coach and surrounding cast, Rivers is great its not like they made a mistake..win win

Elis well ill eave that alone but..LOL