With regards to Ted Ginn's Value

superpunk

Reaction score
Danny White;1445845 said:
Since they play different positions, let's not compare him to Hester.... put it this way, if Ginn were to be the next Dante Hall, would he be worth the #22 pick?

Lookit, I already told you - Ginger!

It wasn't a comparison, per se, that had anything to do with position played. I'm just saying if we can get a similar amount of special team production, is that worth a #1 - with WR development just being an added bonus if he ever materializes into a special offensive player?

I think it is, even if it's not quite as much as Hester's. I think anyone would give anything to have weapons like Hall (a few years ago) and Hester at their disposal.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with Tristan. Hester was a fast guy and great return guy without a position even in college. Ginn is definitely a WR and already a darn good one, he just needs more work to round out his game.

I don't have much doubt Ginn is going to be a big WR threat very soon and for years to come, unless he doesn't work at it or want it. To me, the return factor is just a bonus.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
4lifecowboy;1445533 said:
Anybody that has the potential to effect the outcome of any giving game, reguardless of position is worthy of a first round pick IMO.

sounds like justification to drafting a kicker first round............

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;1445528 said:
Let's say that it was a guarantee that Ted Ginn would produce at least 80% of what Devin Hester did last year, on special teams alone. And, he would be a marginal contributor from the WR position.

Do you take him at 22? Are the field position and explosive returns enough to justify that spot, with the hopes that his raw talent can be developed into a decent WR?

if we weren't so complete as a team, I would say no, Ginn isn't worth a 1st if we weren't a good team, Chicago was able to get away w/ taking Hester in the 2nd because they're a damn, good football team that doesn't need that much to score points

so in short, Ginn is worth a 1st if he's coming into a situation where he's not counted on to be much of a factor on O and would just be asked to do what he does best, make plays in the return game

Reaction score
I wouldn't be totally upset if Dallas chose him with the 22nd pick honestly. I look at all the places he can contribute...

1. Kickoff Returns

2. Punt Returns

3. Deep routes as a WR.

The guy is a playmaker!

Jake0

Reaction score
People who compare his receiving skills to Dante Hall's need to get a clue. Trying to compare a productive gamebreaking college receiver to someone who was a 4th string WR for a team with mediocre WRs for many seasons? Get outa here.

People who try to bring out the Dante Hall comparison have to be the pessimistic anti-Ginn guys. Compare his upside to more productive sub-6 foot receivers in the league. Obviously Steve Smith is a bit of a stretch cause he's just flat out dominant right now, but there's other good receivers under 6 feet that can do major damage. Like him or not, Santana Moss is 5'10 185 and it's pretty clear to any cowboy what he can do.

If Ginn's there at 22 that would be an amazing pickup imo. I really hope Pacman gets suspended for an extended period of time, cause I think that would pretty much force Tennessee to take a CB in round 1 and likely leave us with either Meachem or Ginn available for the taking.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We go WR at 22 it better be because he will be a #1 WR eventually and not because of his return skills.

Tristan

Reaction score
I wasn't realy directing my comments at the original poster, other than his statement that Ginn needed to (become) a decent WR. He already is more than a decent WR.

I personally would not spend a first on a Devon Hester, a second at most. I agree with the premise that at the very least Ginn will provide great returns, and at most could have a Reggie Bush type impact at WR IMO.

My response was more to the many posters I've seen suggest that Ginn really isn't much of a WR.

Anybody who actually watched a lot of Ohio State football games over the last few years would certainly see that Ginn is a heck of a WR. And in addition to being a dynamic deep threat, he is a guy with solid hands that makes plays all over the field consistently.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Even though Ginn would face faster competition ther is no question in my mind that Ginn is faster than the lionshare of DBs in this league. I dont watch a lot of college football but i have had a chance to watch Ginn a good bit and there was basically Ginn at one speed and then everyone else. He made everyone trying to keep up with him look like Brady James.

If he develops better skills on his routes and be a threat other than to just run deep posts and fly routes he will be phenomenal.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
superpunk;1445861 said:
Lookit, I already told you - Ginger!

It wasn't a comparison, per se, that had anything to do with position played. I'm just saying if we can get a similar amount of special team production, is that worth a #1 - with WR development just being an added bonus if he ever materializes into a special offensive player?

I think it is, even if it's not quite as much as Hester's. I think anyone would give anything to have weapons like Hall (a few years ago) and Hester at their disposal.

Why would you compare different positions?

And when someone starts with the "per se," it's game over. You are tripping over yourself.

Go git a better response or argument. :D

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
superpunk;1445528 said:
Let's say that it was a guarantee that Ted Ginn would produce at least 80% of what Devin Hester did last year, on special teams alone. And, he would be a marginal contributor from the WR position.

Do you take him at 22? Are the field position and explosive returns enough to justify that spot, with the hopes that his raw talent can be developed into a decent WR?

I wouldn't complain if we took Ginn at #22 although I do think there would be better WRs available at that point. That's strictly considering him as a WR though, when you throw in a guarantee like "He'll produce 80% of what Devin Hester did" then I really don't know how any one could complain. Even if Ginn was a WR who sat around 500 yards and 3 TDs every season he would be able to add a couple more return TDs per year and greatly shorten the field that the offense had to work down.

While you can't make a guarantee like you're suggesting in this scenario I do think that, strictly based on potential, Ginn would be an ok pick at 22.

DBoys

Reaction score
If Ginn is there at 22 we would be stupid not to take him.

I hope his 40 time sucks :)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
superpunk;1445528 said:

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Benni

Reaction score
I would love to draft Ginn at 22, but as mentioned above I to doubt he'll be there for us. IMO he's a better pick then even Meachem for us, because, of his return abilities. Would love to be able to spare Terrence Newman on this task.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Anyone have any takes on Ginns work ethic? I hear a lot about his talent but little about anything else.

Benni

Reaction score
As far as I've heard, he's supposed to be a hardworking guy.

I'm afraid I can't really give any other link then this review from the danish site draftday. dk :) http://www.draftday.dk/content/view/4900/249/
direct translated quote: "...a hard working type, who is very goal-directed. A sympathic and relaxed guy."

randy932

Reaction score
superpunk;1445528 said:

Positively not. No way. Too small, with wrong body frame.

randy932

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1446584 said:
We go WR at 22 it better be because he will be a #1 WR eventually and not because of his return skills.

Absolutely!!!
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

superpunk

Reaction score
randy932;1446848 said:
Positively not. No way. Too small, with wrong body frame.

There are plenty of small receivers with the wrong body frame who are enormously successful right now - and I'm not sure a single one of them was as heralded as Ginn in college.

Getting one of these small, shifty WRs the ball in space is both an easy completion and really hard to defend.