News: With short-yardage focus, Cowboys QB Tony Romo will not practice Tuesday

CCBoy

Reaction score
With short-yardage focus, Cowboys QB Tony Romo will not practice Tuesday

With short-yardage focus, Cowboys QB Tony Romo will not practice Tuesday

...While Romo will miss Tuesday's practice, the Cowboys will welcome back defensive linemen Tyrone Crawford (back), Cedric Thornton (virus) and Terrell McClain (toe). Crawford missed six practices, McClain five and Thornton three, which forced the Cowboys to move players across the defensive line. Linebacker Kyle Wilber (back) could return to duty after missing four practices.

"What you try to do is use your eyes, you listen to what they say and you make your decisions accordingly," Garrett said. "We feel like they can come back to practice, but we will keep our eye on them in practice to see how they are doing, listen to their feedback and we will go from there. These guys have had a little time off, they've done a good job of rehabbing and getting themselves healthy, and now it's time to go again."

The return of the defensive linemen should help with the short-yardage and goal-line work, which will feature live tackling.

"I think you always want to see how your team responds to the physicalness of goal line," Garrett said. "We don't tackle very much. We tackled the other day with young players at the end of the Blue-White Scrimmage and then we'll tackle today in this goal-line period, but then we won't tackle any other time during training camp.

"But this is a situation where you have to work on this. It's going to come up in the game on Saturday night; we're going to be in goal line on offense or on defense. You want to make sure the team is prepared for it."

phildadon86

Reaction score
I'm more curious about when Zeke is back. Any updates on that?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Camp Cupcake.

More like Camp Creaky: Reserving the Romo.

It will be followed next year by Camp Creaky II: Retire the Romo? Then, Camp Creaky III: Return of the Romo.

Then, the Cowboys will try to do a prequel by finding a young Romo and it will ruin the franchise.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Camp Cupcake.

That was a Wade reference. Most reports have the Garrett camps as being pretty tightly run and as difficult as they can be under the new CBA.

I wonder if they're limiting Romo or just giving more reps to the QB2s in advance of the game this week. Probably just limiting Romo, but it'll be interesting to see how they handle things agains the Rams.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm more curious about when Zeke is back. Any updates on that?

Yeah, it's kind of weird being this far into camp and not getting the rave reviews re: Zeke. I was sort of expecting him to be the talk of early camp, but that's hard to do with a twinged hammy.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes folks were actually going to be tackling so Romo's out:rolleyes:

They need to decide on the number 2 real soon and get him all the reps they can

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Yes folks were actually going to be tackling so Romo's out:rolleyes:

They need to decide on the number 2 real soon and get him all the reps they can

Yes, because we should be training Romo to be tackled. Genius!

Thanks for the SPOTD.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Absolutely.

Believe in the tooth fairy as well?

Myself, there have been too many reports of how intense the Cowboys workouts have been...pick up on more than the off-cuff negatives floated by disgruntled fans.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yeah, it's kind of weird being this far into camp and not getting the rave reviews re: Zeke. I was sort of expecting him to be the talk of early camp, but that's hard to do with a twinged hammy.
Yeah. I'm more concerned at the lack of updates on him. I doubt he plays Saturday.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah. I'm more concerned at the lack of updates on him. I doubt he plays Saturday.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he doesn't. Fundamentally, I have zero worries about him. I just was looking forward to the rave reviews about having added another superstar in the making.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
So do they rest him every other practice? Serious question. Seems like they're resting him an awful lot.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
That was a Wade reference. Most reports have the Garrett camps as being pretty tightly run and as difficult as they can be under the new CBA.

I wonder if they're limiting Romo or just giving more reps to the QB2s in advance of the game this week. Probably just limiting Romo, but it'll be interesting to see how they handle things agains the Rams.

People forget this is an NFL thing. Teams need to adapt and figure out how this post-concussion aware NFL mentality can be used to benefit them. This is an opportunity to gain a new mastery. When everyone has to do it, no one suffers.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People forget this is an NFL thing. Teams need to adapt and figure out how this post-concussion aware NFL mentality can be used to benefit them. This is an opportunity to gain a new mastery. When everyone has to do it, no one suffers.

Yep. There are a handful of trigger topics that are going to get the handful of reflex responses on Dallas boards everywhere: 'Camp Cupcake' when there's a practice hiccup. 'RKG' if there's a player conduct issue. 'Play calling' if a play doesn't work. I try to treat them like midges or mosquitos, but if you get enough of them, it makes the room uncomfortable.

You're right, of course, about the changing landscape of NFL training camps under the CBA. Limits on how much you can practice and how often. Everybody's feeling the pain of changing SOPs, and everybody's having to adjust. I don't believe we have it any worse than anybody else.

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
Yep. There are a handful of trigger topics that are going to get the handful of reflex responses on Dallas boards everywhere: 'Camp Cupcake' when there's a practice hiccup. 'RKG' if there's a player conduct issue. 'Play calling' if a play doesn't work. I try to treat them like midges or mosquitos, but if you get enough of them, it makes the room uncomfortable.

You're right, of course, about the changing landscape of NFL training camps under the CBA. Limits on how much you can practice and how often. Everybody's feeling the pain of changing SOPs, and everybody's having to adjust. I don't believe we have it any worse than anybody else.

I don't think people realize how uninjured so many of these guys are either. It was everything Stephen Jones could do to not confess that he didn't think there was much wrong with EE at all in a recent interview. If these were normal training camp days then a boat-load of these guys would be practicing. This is JG trying to find his way through these new rules the best way he knows how. There are benefits.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So do they rest him every other practice? Serious question. Seems like they're resting him an awful lot.

We've got almost 30 players out for one reason or another. I wonder if they're specifically trying to front-load some of the training camp reps and opportunities here for the younger players with key players out or coming back from surgeries or something. It does seem like an unusual amount of caution, not just for Tony.