With the 18th pick in the 2006 draft the Dallas Cowboys select:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
2. Manny Lawson, N.C. State (6-5 3/8, 241, 4.45)
Lawson had a complete workout at the Combine. He ran his two 40s in 4.43 and 4.46 and recorded a 39½-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-4 long jump, a 4.18 short shuttle, a 6.90 three-cone drill and 23 bench presses. He played defensive end and running back in high school, and qualified for the State track meet in four different events. He played as a true freshman in 2002 and led the nation with three blocked punts. He also competed on the track team in the spring. He started three games in 2003 and won the ACC long jump in track competition with a 24-foot-3½ jump. Last season, he started 11 games at defensive end and had 10½ sacks. Lawson has great athletic ability with above-average toughness. He has very good pass-rush ability and very good quickness. He lacks bulk, but he should be able to put some on. He will be 22 years old in July. I think his best position is defensive end, but he most likely can play outside linebacker and can also be a very good special teams player.
:bow:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I am concerned about his size. he needs to add weight and the added weight will slow him down just a bit....which puts him in the same category as carpenter...except carpenter has LB experience and is a known quantity...and lawson is a gamble.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Wow.
I never expected to see that.
That's a new take on things.
You really went out on a limb with this one.
It's refreshing to see such a new outlook.

Saturday can't get here fast enough.

;)

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
I dont watch NC State football. Who has seen the kid play. Was he getting the attention or was it much more Mario Williams doing that?

If we draft him, I trust it. Parcells knows LB's. And SOLB is one of the positions that really need an upgrade, not just depth

canters

Reaction score
He is a slightly quicker and faster version of Demarcus Ware, but his is noticeably thinner in build, really so from the hips down.

He will be a pass rushing demon, but he is weak against the run. He gets tangled up with bigger OL and they maul him. He either must get bigger or learn to shed blocks.

He is a very intelligent guy who will learn fast. I think he will be fine as a NFL player, but not as good at first as Carpenter. Depends on what you want,,,a run stuffer or a pass rusher.

Stuffer = Carpenter

Pass Rusher = Lawnson.

My bet is Wimbley. Best of both worlds.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
With the 18th pick in the 2006 draft the Dallas Cowboys select:

barney.jpg

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
I dont watch NC State football. Who has seen the kid play. Was he getting the attention or was it much more Mario Williams doing that?

If we draft him, I trust it. Parcells knows LB's. And SOLB is one of the positions that really need an upgrade, not just depth

Now if Ngata slips to us at #18, then all my Manny Lawson stuff is history.......we would have to take the big Oregon tackle IMO!

This guy is a monster and can stuff the middle as well as any player in the game already........any! ;)

cboyd

Reaction score
we should take Wimbley or Lawson with the #18 pick. They will be able to stop the run and will be a terror to any offense. Who would terroize an offense more Lawson/Wimbley and Ware or Carpentar and Ware. To me this is easy. Give me Lawson or Wimbley

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Now if Ngata slips to us at #18, then all my Manny Lawson stuff is history.......we would have to take the big Oregon tackle IMO!

This guy is a monster and can stuff the middle as well as any player in the game already........any! ;)

Having a nose like Ngata would be insane. The guy is a freak of nature. Wouldn't mind him in nickel situations either, he's quick as hell.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CrazyCowboy said:
Really going out on a limb there CC. :lmao:

I still think at least a 50/50 chance we trade down.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Lawson had a complete workout at the Combine. He ran his two 40s in 4.43 and 4.46 and recorded a 39½-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-4 long jump, a 4.18 short shuttle, a 6.90 three-cone drill and 23 bench presses.

Just what we need... A candidate for the US Olympic long jump team;)