Witten might be at the end of his rope

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Before anyone states that I'm hating on Witten, I'm not. While I don't think he will get into the HoF easily, he is one of my all time favorite Cowboys. So while I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, I think objectively there is no other argument to be made.

One thing you have to look at though, is his cap hit for next year. Is Witten actually worth more than Murray in a more running based offense?

We have two tight ends in Hanna and Escobar that can step up here given the opportunity, and I think the drop off would be smaller than Murray to Randle.

A lot of us have pointed out that we don't want to pay a lot for a running back, but why are we so willing to pay a tight end who doesn't really match up with his peers in terms of scoring productivity. We were all so quick to push Bennett out of Dallas, and this year Bennett might be the better of the two tight ends. He just never got a chance here in Dallas.

8.5 million dollars for a tight end that doesn't score touchdowns. I think that is money that can be better spent.

So I would say the front office should approach Witten for a reduction in pay, again not because he isn't a good player anymore, but because the amount of money doesn't make sense. He isn't going to get paid 8+ million in free agency, and I think his agent would recognize that. I think he would be lucky to get 4 million a year in free agency.

My favorite player on the team is actually Romo, and I think he should take a pay cut next year too, to get that ring. Next year might be the best chance this team has to win a super bowl. If you see veterans like Romo and Witten who are nearing the end of their careers drop their compensation, we can really do something on defense next year. A combination of a draft focused almost entirely on defense with some additional spending capacity for defensive free agents... I could easily see this team being the best in the NFL.

The reason I brought this up is mainly because many people (myself included for the most part) don't believe in paying Murray a lot of money, but then I thought at the same time, why are we okay with how much money is going towards Witten? Murray represents a much larger portion of our offense than Witten, and while his success might be more related to our offensive line, I'd worry about a drop off to Randle or even Williams compared to the drop off from Witten to Escobar/Hanna.

dstovall5

Reaction score
Me personally, I don't think players should take a pay cut if that's what was agreed to in the contract. Maybe push the money forward, but an outright pay cut definitely isn't happening. I think those two guys have earned every penny on their contract, they're one of you few you can say that about on this team. I see what you're saying though, 8 million/year definitely is a steep price, not just for Witten but for any TE. With that said, even though Witten's production may not be what it once was, his off the field presence and leadership are still the same and he's a mentor for these younger guys. With a team so young, you need a couple veterans to pave the way and show them the ropes of being a PRO.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't be worried about either drop-off.

I think you're selling Witten's productivity in the current offense dramatically short. At the same time, he probably will be getting overpaid a fair amount this year and next. I'm in favor of overpaying him a little bit because of what he has meant to the organization, but he is a player whose replacement is already on the roster. Which stinks for us who are big fans of Jason's game.

I'm too lazy to compare Bennett's contribution to Jason's. But I will say that it's taken way too long for that loudmouth to develop into an actual player, and that I'm just really glad we didn't take that thrill ride through Planet Jupiter any longer than we actually did.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Before anyone states that I'm hating on Witten, I'm not. While I don't think he will get into the HoF easily, he is one of my all time favorite Cowboys. So while I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, I think objectively there is no other argument to be made.

One thing you have to look at though, is his cap hit for next year. Is Witten actually worth more than Murray in a more running based offense?

We have two tight ends in Hanna and Escobar that can step up here given the opportunity, and I think the drop off would be smaller than Murray to Randle.

A lot of us have pointed out that we don't want to pay a lot for a running back, but why are we so willing to pay a tight end who doesn't really match up with his peers in terms of scoring productivity. We were all so quick to push Bennett out of Dallas, and this year Bennett might be the better of the two tight ends. He just never got a chance here in Dallas.

8.5 million dollars for a tight end that doesn't score touchdowns. I think that is money that can be better spent.

So I would say the front office should approach Witten for a reduction in pay, again not because he isn't a good player anymore, but because the amount of money doesn't make sense. He isn't going to get paid 8+ million in free agency, and I think his agent would recognize that. I think he would be lucky to get 4 million a year in free agency.

My favorite player on the team is actually Romo, and I think he should take a pay cut next year too, to get that ring. Next year might be the best chance this team has to win a super bowl. If you see veterans like Romo and Witten who are nearing the end of their careers drop their compensation, we can really do something on defense next year. A combination of a draft focused almost entirely on defense with some additional spending capacity for defensive free agents... I could easily see this team being the best in the NFL.

The reason I brought this up is mainly because many people (myself included for the most part) don't believe in paying Murray a lot of money, but then I thought at the same time, why are we okay with how much money is going towards Witten? Murray represents a much larger portion of our offense than Witten, and while his success might be more related to our offensive line, I'd worry about a drop off to Randle or even Williams compared to the drop off from Witten to Escobar/Hanna.

chris-farley-o.gif

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Me personally, I don't think players should take a pay cut if that's what was agreed to in the contract. Maybe push the money forward, but an outright pay cut definitely isn't happening. I think those two guys have earned every penny on their contract, they're one of you few you can say that about on this team. I see what you're saying though, 8 million/year definitely is a steep price, not just for Witten but for any TE. With that said, even though Witten's production may not be what it once was, his off the field presence and leadership are still the same and he's a mentor for these younger guys. With a team so young, you need a couple veterans to pave the way and show them the ropes of being a PRO.

You don't pay players just because you like them or because they've been a big part of your team in the past. That is what gets you in trouble.

And NFL contracts aren't a promise, which is why they aren't guaranteed. He hasn't earned anything, nor has any other player.

His off the field presence and leadership isn't worth 8 million per year, if it was we wouldn't have gone 8-8 the last three years.

8 million a year can get you a great pass rushing defensive end. The opportunity cost of paying Jason Witten that money is way too high.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
You don't pay players just because you like them or because they've been a big part of your team in the past. That is what gets you in trouble.

And NFL contracts aren't a promise, which is why they aren't guaranteed. He hasn't earned anything, nor has any other player.

His off the field presence and leadership isn't worth 8 million per year, if it was we wouldn't have gone 8-8 the last three years.

8 million a year can get you a great pass rushing defensive end. The opportunity cost of paying Jason Witten that money is way too high.

I'll go ahead and agree to an extent. At this point, as much as I respect what he's done for this team, I'd have no issue if releasing him next off season helped the salary cap (I don't know if it would or not).

JBS

Reaction score
witten is absolutely a hof player...hes a lock to get in

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I'll go ahead and agree to an extent. At this point, as much as I respect what he's done for this team, I'd have no issue if releasing him next off season helped the salary cap (I don't know if it would or not).

If you cut him in June or designate him a June cut, it helps us a lot.

Could give us 5 million more for next year and another 5 million the next year.

Looking at his contract, I can't see him here for his going rate for more than another year. Cutting him in 2016 is just too easy financially.

landroverking

Reaction score
I think it all depends on what type of playoff run Dallas has.
That can change the mindset of both the front office and any given player.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Meh, I prefer offseason talk to remain offseason talk.

That said, I've read in a couple places that the Cowboys aren't cutting Witten for salary cap reasons. He's this generation Mr. Cowboy. He might retire before they consider cutting him.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
To the OP: Your argument is well represented. You make some great points and they certainly have merit. However, I don't the leadership role can be as easily overlooked. Jason's effect on the team goes way beyond the numbers he produces on the field. Another thing to keep in mind is that this offense hasn't totally been maximized just yet. Witten may only have 5 catches in a game but 4 of them are critical 3rd down conversions. Those are hard to quantify with a salary cap number. Witten doesn't get open because he's a vastly superior athlete. He get's open because he is, possibly, the most complete and savvy TE in the entire league. Escobar and Hanna are both very athletic guys but they just don't have the football smarts that Witten does. Don't be surprised to see Witten take over a game at some point in this season because Murray and/or the WRs are having an off day or a smothering defense. I have no doubt that Witten has more than one 12 rec 2 TD performances left in the tank.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
To the OP: Your argument is well represented. You make some great points and they certainly have merit. However, I don't the leadership role can be as easily overlooked. Jason's effect on the team goes way beyond the numbers he produces on the field. Another thing to keep in mind is that this offense hasn't totally been maximized just yet. Witten may only have 5 catches in a game but 4 of them are critical 3rd down conversions. Those are hard to quantify with a salary cap number. Witten doesn't get open because he's a vastly superior athlete. He get's open because he is, possibly, the most complete and savvy TE in the entire league. Escobar and Hanna are both very athletic guys but they just don't have the football smarts that Witten does. Don't be surprised to see Witten take over a game at some point in this season because Murray and/or the WRs are having an off day or a smothering defense. I have no doubt that Witten has more than one 12 rec 2 TD performances left in the tank.

Everything you said was true, but it doesn't change my argument. The biggest thing I find fault in, is the suggestion that we should pay him because of his leadership. That has not stopped us from falling short, and is less of a factor than you would lead others to believe.

His production doesn't warrant his pay, and on 3rd downs others can step up here, chief among them being beasley.