Witten might be at the end of his rope

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Everything you said was true, but it doesn't change my argument. The biggest thing I find fault in, is the suggestion that we should pay him because of his leadership. That has not stopped us from falling short, and is less of a factor than you would lead others to believe.

His production doesn't warrant his pay, and on 3rd downs others can step up here, chief among them being beasley.

Beasley doesn't replace Witten on any level. The thing about Witten is that when he's on the field, the defense doesn't know whether we are running or passing. It's paramount to both the running and play action game. You can't say that about Beasley or any other TE on the team. Like I said, You can't quantify his value through stats alone.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Beasley doesn't replace Witten on any level. The thing about Witten is that when he's on the field, the defense doesn't know whether we are running or passing. It's paramount to both the running and play action game. You can't say that about Beasley or any other TE on the team. Like I said, You can't quantify his value through stats alone.

With this offensive line, we can run out of any formation and teams realize that.

EST_1986

Reaction score
I don't think Witten is at the end of his rope at all I think Romo and the OC just have more dependable people in Dez and Murray. Not that they're more dependable than Witten but just more dependable in general.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Didn't even need to read this but the guy is still a top 5 te in the league and is still a baller....5 catches a game for 50 yards is all I want out of my te with 5-7tds on the year cause anything outside of that means we are struggling on offense as in years past. He still has another year or two after this season so this thread could be shut down till then

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Didn't even need to read this but the guy is still a top 5 te in the league and is still a baller....5 catches a game for 50 yards is all I want out of my te with 5-7tds on the year cause anything outside of that means we are struggling on offense as in years past. He still has another year or two after this season so this thread could be shut down till then

You should become more familiar with the tight ends across the league.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

13th among Tight Ends in yards this year, 16th in yards per game.

20th in yards per catch.

51st in YAC average

10th in 1st downs

Has no TDs in 4 games.

11th in Targets.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
I can't imagine watching a Cowboys game without Wit on the field.

As we saw on Sunday, Wit is still playing at an elite level. I think it's unfair to criticize Witten for his lack of TD's with Dez being arguably the most efficient goalline WR in the league, and Murray racking up TD's as well.

But I do agree with the thought that Escobar and Hanna can do at least a replacement level job at TE and that 8.5 mil for Wit isn't the best use of resources.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Witten is obviously not the focal point anymore, which might make him even more dangerous when they need him. He still has game left and is asked to do more blocking at this point. I like it, the ball is no longer being force-fed to him and this offense looks better because of that. Now, he is just an extra weapon instead of the #1 receiver.

lukin1966

Reaction score
I'd keep him ... even at his current pay, he's only 32, has only missed 1 game in his career and still wouldn't surprise me if he hauls in 60-70 catches by years end. Once the weather gets cooler and they get into those hard nosed NFC games he becomes even more valuable. And if he's not a hall of fame somethings not right in the world, he'll likely finish his career as the all-time reception leader for tight ends ... the only thing that could be missing is super bowl champion, but not everyone wins a title.

Eddie

Reaction score
Witten is 32. He still has some very good years in him. We don't need him to get 90 catches a season. If our O stays true to form, he can get half of that and still be just as effective. He's also one of the best blocking TE's in the league. His skills will eventually diminish ... as does all great athletes, but no worries yet.

Macnalty

Reaction score
You should become more familiar with the tight ends across the league.

Watch what Graham(Texans TE 3.75 mill per year) brings to the table today for the Texans, I think you would agree Witten is greater and creates more exposure for team defenses than what the stats indicate. IMO this offense is a thing of beauty when Tony has his passing game working and Witten is integral to this scheme . It is very humbling for defenses, on these long drives for points we are like a constrictor working with its meal ever tightening our grip as they try to repel.

Eddie

Reaction score
Either way, Escobar needs to step it up and get ready to take over soon.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
13th among Tight Ends in yards this year, 16th in yards per game.

20th in yards per catch.

51st in YAC average

10th in 1st downs

Has no TDs in 4 games.

11th in Targets.

Because we are running the ball more than ever. Where's Dez ranking right now? If you don't think Witten is a huge part of our running game keep a close eye on him today.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Witten was our "running game" from 2010-2013.

Now his role has changed, and will remain changed barring significant injuries at OL and/or RB, which are definite possibilities, btw.

dstovall5

Reaction score
You don't pay players just because you like them or because they've been a big part of your team in the past. That is what gets you in trouble.

And NFL contracts aren't a promise, which is why they aren't guaranteed. He hasn't earned anything, nor has any other player.

His off the field presence and leadership isn't worth 8 million per year, if it was we wouldn't have gone 8-8 the last three years.

8 million a year can get you a great pass rushing defensive end. The opportunity cost of paying Jason Witten that money is way too high.

I agree you don't pay players just because you like them, and Romo and Witten didn't get contracts "just because we liked them". They were top tiered players when we gave them contracts, and they still are. Witten may have lost a step physically, but he's gained two steps mentally. With Witten it's not just about being a Red Zone threat, he's much more then that, he's a complete all around TE which can't be said for 99% of the TEs in the NFL (including Graham, Davis, Gronkoski, ect). Witten definitely doesn't have the same speed, or quickness, but it doesn't matter much as his game isn't dependent on those attributes. He beats you with his precise route running, great hands, great blocking, and his mental sharpness. And I honestly don't see how you're going to fault him for the 8-8 record the past 3 years, especially considering you're a huge Romo supporter.

(About M.Bennet) Also, when Bennet was here he was a terrible TE, he deserved to go. Bennet himself has stated that he wasn't a good player in his younger days. According to him, he said he's really figured it all out these past 2 years, IMO you can't fault the Cowboys for moving on from him. Some players just need a different scenery/environment to be successful, just like how Rolando has been great here but in Oakland he was a bust.

I agree we'll ask/should ask Witten to restructure or take a pay cut, but like I said originally. Coming from a players perspective, I won't be shocked when Witten tells us, No, at least on a straight up pay cut. Ask Brady how well that worked out for him in NE when he was asked. He took a pay cut so they could bring in more help for him, yet that never happened, funny how that worked out.