Witten says he's 'coming back' for 16th season

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Oh, I'm back," Witten said. "I'm coming back. I love playing this game too much and I know that I can play it at a high level."

By returning in 2018, Witten will have more service time with the Cowboys than any player in team history. Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Bill Bates and Mark Tuinei each played 15 seasons with the Cowboys. Witten is already the team leader in most games played (239), most consecutive games played (235), most games started (229) and most consecutive games started (179).

"I know this: The burn is strong inside me to play at a high level and to be a part of one of these groups of guys and one of the leaders to see this thing through and go try to compete for a championship," Witten said. "When I wake up tomorrow, that's where my focus will be on as I move forward. It hurts because you don't get a whole lot more opportunities at this and I realize that, but rest assured that I'm going to do everything in my power to help us be better as we move forward. And I think it needs to be clear that it starts with yourself."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21927827

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Oh, I'm back," Witten said. "I'm coming back. I love playing this game too much and I know that I can play it at a high level."

By returning in 2018, Witten will have more service time with the Cowboys than any player in team history. Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Bill Bates and Mark Tuinei each played 15 seasons with the Cowboys. Witten is already the team leader in most games played (239), most consecutive games played (235), most games started (229) and most consecutive games started (179).

"I know this: The burn is strong inside me to play at a high level and to be a part of one of these groups of guys and one of the leaders to see this thing through and go try to compete for a championship," Witten said. "When I wake up tomorrow, that's where my focus will be on as I move forward. It hurts because you don't get a whole lot more opportunities at this and I realize that, but rest assured that I'm going to do everything in my power to help us be better as we move forward. And I think it needs to be clear that it starts with yourself."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21927827
Good. We need leaders. It would be nice if he took a bit of a pay cut, but if not, I'm still happy about him being here. He's earned his money.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
tenor.gif

conner01

Reaction score
Witten is the least of our troubles
He’s still putting up good number and is still one one the best
When someone can beat him out then he will be a part time player
He doesn’t play a lot of reps in pre seasons the the chance to show something is there for a young guy

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Jason my man, I love you, but sometimes over run their popularity by sticking around too long. You put sweat. blood, and bones in this team. More than anyone during the last 15 years. My advise is that if you come back, make it as a back up TE, teach the young ones, coach them up.

Your status with us, and the whole world, is set in stone. Pass the torch. You will still get the ring you deserve

:cool:

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
As was the case with most of our receivers, it appears that generally speaking this was Witten’s worst season. But it wasn’t too far off a few of his other seasons, and 5 TDs wasn’t too bad. Given his age, it’s hard to say that he’s not doing the best he can. But there’s a clear trend with his performance so I think we know what to expect going forward.

MarkP88

Reaction score
I have total respect for him, he's a hall of famer. An all time great Cowboy.

But he is a shell of his former self and should not be starting and playing significant snaps. The position needs an infusion of youth and speed.

LittleD

Reaction score
Witten has been a joy for all his years with the Boys and has given all he has to give. There just comes a time when you have to move on
and wish him well. We need a different type of TE who has speed and can break the LB press. Just don't have enough speed in our WR's to open
the separation that gives Dak a target because he just cannot throw WR's open. That skill is not remotely in his toolbox. TE is a must in the first 3 rounds
of next year's draft.

tm1119

Reaction score
Needs to be as the 2nd blocking TE and for less than he’s currently scheduled to make. If those 2 things happen I’m glad to have witten back. If the front office doesn’t upgrade the position I’ll be pretty upset.

movaughn88

Reaction score
Look man, Wit is a great dude, leader yada yada yada.

But have you guys ever seen Old Yeller?