Witten the best Cowboy Ever?

Wayne02

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys have put 12 players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but one of their active players might be the best in franchise history, according to quarterback Tony Romo.
Romo, in a conference call with the Seattle-area media Wednesday, said tight end Jason Witten might belong at the top of the list of greatest players to wear a Cowboys uniform.

Matthew Emmons/USA TODAY SportsJason Witten might be the best player to ever play for the Cowboys, according to Tony Romo.
"He might be the best Dallas Cowboy of all time," Romo said of Witten. "Literally, his career has been exceptional. He's hit every mark you could ever have, and he's going to go down as the first- or second-greatest tight end of all time. I've just been lucky enough to play with him."
Witten became the third tight end in NFL history to surpass 10,000 receiving yards in the Cowboys' victory over the Texans last Sunday, joining Tony Gonzalez (15,127) and Shannon Sharpe (10,060).
Witten, whose career yardage total stands at 10,014, is the Cowboys' all-time leader in receptions with 898. Only former Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin, one of those 11 Hall of Fame players, has more receiving yards (11,904)
He and Romo both came into the league with the Cowboys in 2003.
In all, the Cowboys have 14 members of the organization enshrined in Canton, including coach Tom Landry (inducted in 1990) and general manager Tex Schramm (1991). The 11 players are: defensive tackle Bob Lilly (1980), quarterback Roger Staubach (1985), running back Tony Dorsett (1994), defensive tackle Randy White (1994), defensive back Mel Renfro (1996), quarterback Troy Aikman (2006), offensive tackle Rayfield Wright (2006), Irvin (2007), wide receiver Bob Hayes (2009), running back Emmitt Smith (2010), cornerback Deion Sanders (2011) and offensive lineman Larry Allen (2013)
All of these men won at least one Super Bowl title with the Cowboys, something that Witten and Romo have yet to achieve.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Wayne02

Reaction score
It's just a QB giving credit to his buddy and longtime teammate. But there's no way in hell he's the best Cowboy ever.

I get that, but he shouldn't make blasphemous statements like that. All he had to say is that he's the best TE in Cowboy history, not the best player.

Wayne02

Reaction score
Guy said "might be" and you all get your knickers in a bunch. Calm down old timers.

He shouldn't have even said "might be" Witten is a great player but he isn't even close to being the best of all time for this franchise.

Wayne02

Reaction score
He can say what he wants as it is his opinion. Personally I think he was just talking up his friend. It's really no big deal.

And I can say how stupid his opinion is. He probably was just talking up his friend, but it was a dumb statement nontheless.

Staubacher

Reaction score
He shouldn't have even said "might be" Witten is a great player but he isn't even close to being the best of all time for this franchise.

Witten will be in the Ring of Honor which definitely puts him in the discussion of all time greats.

Besides, Romo can say what he wants

Lonestar94

Reaction score
Staubach is #1

but don't discredit Witten just because he hasn't had success.

Lol @ people putting Emmitt as #1. No.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
And I can say how stupid his opinion is. He probably was just talking up his friend, but it was a dumb statement nontheless.

Yea it is prevalent in today's society to downplay someone else's opinion because it differs from your own.

I'm sure you've never embellished when talking about a friend. It's human nature to talk up those that matter to us and it's obvious that Romo and Witten are close friends so step off the soap box and dial it down, lol.