Witten to coach UT?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
People love to hadn't Jason Witten stuff....he got handed a backup tight end position on the Raiders last year...got handed the Monday Night Football gig.....their program I guess lol....

dwreck27

Reaction score
Dude needs to actually you know Coach before he should get that job

I can see some kind of AD assistant role or AD if boosters are hell bent on propping him up in a role to be the face of that program

but hey if they want to sacrifice a career to guide through their sanctions go ahead

Motorola

Reaction score
All he has to do is manage it, he can hire coordinators and a former head coach to his staff and he'll be fine. Deion Sanders is HC at a university in Florida.
Incorrect.
Sanders is head coach at Jackson State University, located in Jackson, Mississippi.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
i heard they were looking into getting Ranching and Garrett. Witten can do rogaine commercials.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
That bunch would turn on him very quickly. I am in Knoxville alot and watch the local news there. They think they are the tides without there coach.

Motorola

Reaction score
J
My bad, thanks.
You're welcome.
Even though we are Cowboys Fans -- we have our own worlds to chart out and navigate every day...thus are not obligated to keep up with everything concerning our team - i.e. what every former great Dallas player is doing now.
Your footpath at Cowboys Zone presents you as a great contributor here.
My update was just giving information you were not aware of...and your response was acknowledgement of it -- all in a respectful manner.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Dan Patrick threw it out there that Witten could be in the running for the Tennessee job. That place has turned into a total dumpster fire

Wow, i mean i like Witten and think he is a swell guy, but it appears that he seems to attract incredible opportunities which he is not really qualified. He got that big Monday Night Football gig without even having any broadcasting experience, and now possibly be in the running for the Tennessee HC job without even having any kind of coaching experience much less recruiting experience. He must be a very likeable guy by influential people. Oh,....and in these parts...UT stands for The University of Texas.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Wow, i mean i like Witten and think he is a swell guy, but it appears that he seems to attract incredible opportunities which he is not really qualified. He got that big Monday Night Football gig without even having any broadcasting experience, and now possibly be in the running for the Tennessee HC job without even having any kind of coaching experience much less recruiting experience. He must be a very likeable guy by influential people. Oh,....and in these parts...UT stands for The University of Texas.
Plenty of guys are awarded booth analyst jobs immediately after their playing careers are over.

Witten didn't have the charisma or personality for it.

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
People love to hadn't Jason Witten stuff....he got handed a backup tight end position on the Raiders last year...got handed the Monday Night Football gig.....their program I guess lol....
Romo got handed the CBS job, what’s wrong with Witten going back to his alma mater?

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
Yeah if I were Jason I'd stick my feet in the water before diving head first.

We all saw first hand how smoothly his broadcasting career went.
Jason witten doesn’t have any direction for his career. He should just relax for a year and study his former teammate and now head coach Dan Campbell’s career if he still wants to continue with football

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
Yeah, exactly. Hire an OC and DC and recruit. I would recommend Sean Lee as DC. Witten and Lee would be able to recruit and they would be an instant draw for fans win or lose. TV ratings would soar. It would be fun. And fun seems to be missing a lot at Tenn.
Young guys don’t care about Sean Lee and witten. Just give them the McDonald’s bags of cash baby

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Romo got handed the CBS job, what’s wrong with Witten going back to his alma mater?
Nothing wrong with it I just find it funny that people keep handing him jobs when he doesn’t deserve it but he’s been a professional and I guess that goes a long way with some. Romo got handed the CBS job and took it and ran with it. Listening to Romo even before he got that job I think most knew he would be a good announcer. He was born with that gift of explaining football.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The key for any college HC is hiring his staff. Look at Saban and Swinney's staffs.

The other key is recruiting and if you are a 4 or 5 star player, what's your ultimate goal? How many Power 5 HC's are HOF NFL players? That can carry some recruiting clout with 17-18 year old young men.

The challenge is the conference and being in the East SEC with FL and GA isn't a cakewalk.

Can he get enough time to complete a rebuild because the Vols alums have high expectations that haven't been achieved in a longtime. And some don't care that the previous regime cheated. They care that they got caught for nothing. From the Bill Belichick Cheating Handbook, if you are going to cheat, win.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten, like Garrett, makes a good presentation of himself. Image can create a lot of shortcuts.

He got that MNF gig because of the success of those before him like Aikman and Johnston. I can't believe they didn't at least try him out like Aikman got in Europe before they put him on NFL games.

In Witten's defense, that's not in his skillset and he had little help from a first time director and one too many people on the games. He got Tessitore to school him and had to deal with McFarland and it was a chatter fest.