Video: Wolf Hunter Interview with Slater and Bobby Belt

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cant recall specifically but think he said something off the cuff about this being the type of injury that can end a career
Chocolate Lab said Garrett said something about not thinking the injury is career threatening at this time, and his objection to that was simply the idea of bringing up the question of how it affects his career. If that's the case, I don't see the problem. Obviously with a neck injury that's going to be a question the media would ask, and ask repeatedly until they get an answer, so it's best just to address it.

If Garrett said it more like you recall, that was the wrong way to put it, and he should have used his words more wisely.

Still, I probably judge words in front of the press less harshly than a lot of people do, even if the words are a mistake. It's not easy to say exactly the right thing in exactly the right way with press always asking questions and sticking a microphone in a person's face.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Good for LVE. Very likeable player.

As opposed to...sorry for off topic...

If I were a coach, walking into the stadium in a fur coat and shiny sunglasses then stinking on the field would be "career threatening."

Position change isnt much more than one step closer to the door....(#24 and #54).

Hoping for an early LB next April then gimpy can take his act elsewhere.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Said he hasn’t felt this good in a Long time.

What else is he supposed to say? Having neck surgery only two years into his career is pretty alarming. He was having issues with his neck in college. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t think he’s going to have a very long career.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
My only reservation is that in this situation (being interviewed), the guy can’t say anything OTHER than he’s feeling 100% again and feeling better than ever.

Travis Frederick said the same thing leading into last season... then, once he retired, he admitted he never got to the point of feeling like himself, which is why he said it’s best to retire.

I’m not saying LVE is lying and that he’s not at full strength. But even if he is, neck injuries are only one awkward hit away from resurfacing.

I kinda lump LVE in the same category of Tyron and Sean Lee — appreciate it while he’s playing, but don’t count on it in the long term.

Agreed. I believe he's 100% and feels 100%. But I still have concerns due to the nature of injury and surgery.

Proof

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said Garrett said something about not thinking the injury is career threatening at this time, and his objection to that was simply the idea of bringing up the question of how it affects his career. If that's the case, I don't see the problem. Obviously with a neck injury that's going to be a question the media would ask, and ask repeatedly until they get an answer, so it's best just to address it.

If Garrett said it more like you recall, that was the wrong way to put it, and he should have used his words more wisely.

Still, I probably judge words in front of the press less harshly than a lot of people do, even if the words are a mistake. It's not easy to say exactly the right thing in exactly the right way with press always asking questions and sticking a microphone in a person's face.

no. He got it right, not me. It was just the inclusion of career threatening when no one suggested it. And speculation ran rampant. Almost like parents having an argument and saying “I don’t think we’re getting a divorce”. You know? Just introduced the idea somewhat unnecessarily

Bowdown27

Reaction score
What else is he supposed to say? Having neck surgery only two years into his career is pretty alarming. He was having issues with his neck in college. Hope I’m wrong but I don’t think he’s going to have a very long career.
I understand that. He has to be optimistic. Hopefully he has a long career but he could have a kuechley type of career.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I understand that. He has to be optimistic. Hopefully he has a long career but he could have a kuechley type of career.

Frederick was saying all the right things last season. He said he felt great, was getting stronger and sounded very optimistic. Players are always going to say they’re feeling great and sound optimistic coming back from injuries or illnesses. You mentioned Luke Kuechly he retired at 28. Nothing retires players faster than concussions and neck injuries. We’re all pulling for LVE.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I’m not saying that didn’t happen, but I could’ve swore Travis said something along the lines of feeling like he was 80 pct back and offering very cautious optimism. I don’t remember him saying best he ever felt or anything like that just that he could resume his job
It was in the early part of the season that he said he was feeling great and “back to normal”.. I can specifically remember the interview because I was kind of skeptical of it. But you’re right, doesn’t matter much toward LVE. Hoping for the best!

cern

Reaction score
In 2016, we were told romo was in his best condition ever having missed most of 2015. It took just one hit in a preseason to finish his career. I hope for the best regards lve. But a neck injury to a linebacker is tenuous at best.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

There are also HIPPA issues in play where you can not publicly disclose a medical issue unless you are a doctor and you have permission.

That's why things are sort of cloudy on the subject. We will hear more if anything changes.

I personally think Clay Matthews would be a good backup and rotational guy to help the LBers.

Depends I think on if Dak signs and the FO really thinks we have a shot this year to do anything.

If so, then they might sign him for a run.

plasticman

Reaction score
What is he going to say?

"Looks like this neck isn't healing quite properly. Yes, I can still play but I'm only going to be 80% of the player I was before."

"I've been practicing to the full extent that I possibly can under the circumstances.".

"Obviously, Jason was constantly informed as to my condition when he was here, we should all expect that I will be tested."

"I am looking forward to the season. Questions about my level of play? Not so much."

"My reaction to the drafting of CeeDee? Shocking is a word you can use. Overjoyed is another. If they had drafted his college teammate, LB Kenneth Murray, that would have meant that they already made up their mind about me."

Seriously, I hope his answers are truly the case, NFL fans would be deprived of the potential he showcased in his rookie year. However, his performance in the preseason and first couple regular season games will tell us the truth.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are also HIPPA issues in play where you can not publicly disclose a medical issue unless you are a doctor and you have permission.

That's why things are sort of cloudy on the subject. We will hear more if anything changes.

I personally think Clay Matthews would be a good backup and rotational guy to help the LBers.

Depends I think on if Dak signs and the FO really thinks we have a shot this year to do anything.

If so, then they might sign him for a run.
I'm sure there is an agreement between the players and the league on Hippa because info is given on injuries even while the game is going on.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I'm sure there is an agreement between the players and the league on Hippa because info is given on injuries even while the game is going on.
Sure.

But on TV they only tell us what they want us to know.

Don't tell me everything you read on the internet is really true?

Only 18 year olds believe that.
:angry:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure.

But on TV they only tell us what they want us to know.

Don't tell me everything you read on the internet is really true?

Only 18 year olds believe that.
:angry:
Huh? All I said was they have an agreement on Hippa, not that having an agreement on Hippa means they tell every medical detail.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Good news, yes, but I want the Cowboys to go after a linebacker in next years draft or free agency, ya know, just to be sure.