Article: Woman Claims She Ran Her $26 Million Lottery Ticket Through A Washing Machine

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
"The prize money from the unclaimed winning ticket will now go to California's public schools.
A California woman says she was the lucky winner of a $26 million lottery ticket — but accidentally ran it through a washing machine before she could cash it in.

On Thursday, when the final time came to redeem the winning California Lottery SuperLotto Plus ticket for the Nov. 14 drawing, no one showed up to claim the prize, which had been sold at an Arco AM/PM convenience store, according to the Associated Press.

But the unidentified woman, who believes she may have been the winner, returned to the store in the Los Angeles suburb of Norwalk on Wednesday, and told employees that she had put her ticket in her pants before placing them in the wash, store employee Esperanza Hernandez told Whittier Daily News.

The store's manager, who was only identified as Frank, told KTLA-TV that surveillance video from within the store showed the person who bought the winning ticket in November, and that store workers know her. The surveillance video was reportedly turned over to California Lottery officials."

More: https://people.com/human-interest/calif-woman-says-she-ran-lottery-ticket-through-washing-machine/

Big_D

Reaction score
If I was holding a winning lottery ticket that thing would be laminated and hanging around my neck until I get to lottery headquarters! It certainly wouldn’t be accidentally thrown in the laundry! That’s quite an expensive mistake!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
"The prize money from the unclaimed winning ticket will now go to California's public schools.
A California woman says she was the lucky winner of a $26 million lottery ticket — but accidentally ran it through a washing machine before she could cash it in.

On Thursday, when the final time came to redeem the winning California Lottery SuperLotto Plus ticket for the Nov. 14 drawing, no one showed up to claim the prize, which had been sold at an Arco AM/PM convenience store, according to the Associated Press.

But the unidentified woman, who believes she may have been the winner, returned to the store in the Los Angeles suburb of Norwalk on Wednesday, and told employees that she had put her ticket in her pants before placing them in the wash, store employee Esperanza Hernandez told Whittier Daily News.

The store's manager, who was only identified as Frank, told KTLA-TV that surveillance video from within the store showed the person who bought the winning ticket in November, and that store workers know her. The surveillance video was reportedly turned over to California Lottery officials."

More: https://people.com/human-interest/calif-woman-says-she-ran-lottery-ticket-through-washing-machine/
How does the video prove she bought the winning ticket?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
If the time stamp on the winning ticket coincides with the video?
That would get it close, but it’s still not definitive unless they show the previous ticket buyer with time stamp and the post buyer with time stamp.

Big_D

Reaction score
That would get it close, but it’s still not definitive unless they show the previous ticket buyer with time stamp and the post buyer with time stamp.

I would think they can narrow it down to the exact second the ticket was bought and who was standing at the machine at that moment?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I would think they can narrow it down to the exact second the ticket was bought and who was standing at the machine at that moment?
I’m sure they can as long as there’s no break in the video and the ticket register timing is synced with the video timing.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Every person who bought a ticket in that store that week, caught on the video surveillance, could make the same claim.

My dog ate my ticket! Honest!

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
How incredibly stupid.
If i had a winning ticket i would know its wherabouts 24/7 until it was cashed in.