Wondering if TE Brandon Pettigrew may be available?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Word is that the Likns won't be bringing former 1st round blocking TE Brandon Pettigrew back. The following article states that he will be going to NFI but it also states that his locker has been cleared out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/07/lions-moving-on-from-pettigrew/

I'm wondering if this means that Detroit will soon release him or that they'll simply 'put him on ice' for the rest of the season and release him in 2017?

If he were released, I think he could be a help to ease the loss of Swaim to the run game.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Word is that the Likns won't be bringing former 1st round blocking TE Brandon Pettigrew back. The following article states that he will be going to NFI but it also states that his locker has been cleared out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/07/lions-moving-on-from-pettigrew/

I'm wondering if this means that Detroit will soon release him or that they'll simply 'put him on ice' for the rest of the season and release him in 2017?

If he were released, I think he could be a help to ease the loss of Swaim to the run game.
Man...he's a decent TE! Decent blocker. Good pickup, if we can get him

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man...he's a decent TE! Decent blocker. Good pickup, if we can get him

Yeah, I'm not sure whether they're going to release him, or just make him inactive for the rest of this season.

I think he'd do a much better job of blocking than what we're getting from Escobar.

I'm going to keep my eye on it.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Haha. That guy was my 'partner' in high school Art. Blowoff class. Still, one of the biggest 16 year olds I've ever seen in my life. Watching him run through 170 pounds high school kids was funny.

Why are they releasing him? Seems kinda weird since he's decent. He'd be good depth as long as he's not being released for disciplinary stuff.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Lions are releasing the TE. He's a solid blocker. I'd love to see us give him a look.

Pats will likely pursue him too.

Ay29K.jpg

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lions are releasing the TE. He's a solid blocker. I'd love to see us give him a look.

I posted something about him in the Roster Zone yesterday, but I wasn't sure if the Lions were releasing him or not.

The article from PFT stated that they were putting him on NFI, so I wasn't sure of it was a release, or just sitting him for the season.

If he's available, I'd love to sign him as I think he would be a big upgrade at the #2 blocking TE position.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Blast from the past, that's who Detroit picked with the #1 pick they got from Dallas for the fantastically genius trade for Roy Williams which put Dallas over the top and made them a force for years

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Reports indicate that he has been on PUP and was moved to NFI. I didn't know that was possible. I though they had to be on NFI to start the season.

Since he has been cut, I don't think any of the PUP/NFI rules affect him because he is a free agent. Actually, he wouldn't be a free agent is he is claimed on waivers but that seems highly doubtful.

Hailmary

Reaction score
How does the waiver wire work? Is it based on this year's record or last?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I didnt think about Roy Williams at all, I don't see the connection and why we would be reminded

Maybe it's just me, but he was picked with the first rounder we sent to Detroit for him. But my comment was partially made in jest, if he can contribute, sure, but I doubt he can.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
And be reminded of the failure that was Roy Williams all through our playoff run...no thanks
Pettigrew won't cost a 1st, 3rd, and 6th round pick like Williams did. Ironically, Detroit used that 1st rounder to select Pettigrew so , in a sense, we would be getting some of that Williams deal back.