Woods' Mock 3.0 as of March 29th

Woods

Reaction score
jterrell;2707913 said:
Overall a solid job but you committed two errors imho.

1) You took 2 OGs without addressing Center. This is a bad mistake to make this draft because the OC value is much better and the class at center is amongst the best in a decade. Add to that we need an OG who can either help Gurode line everyone up and make playcalls or a new center and well you see the issues there.

2) You took 3 Clemson players. That's a school has hasn't experienced much success recently and Dallas likes guys who are team leaders of winning programs traditionally. Clemson did have a solid passing defense but being tied for 3rd best in the ACC is not exactly setting the world afire. And while I see the appeal of another Hamlin we need a safety who can flat out cover. Not just area but actual bodies. You ask how I know? Because we were going to use Scandrick there until we signed Sensabaugh. Sensabaugh is a short-term guy and we will look to add someone of that same mold. Hamlin only makes sense if we are cutting the other Hamlin imho.

I've been reading that Lang can project to playing Center as well. I think the problem with Lang is that he could have some trouble at the tackle positions, but that in the interior positions, he should do a good job, including Center.

Do you think otherwise?

As with Hamlin, I think he's got the body type that he could add on about 10 lbs or so, which would put him around 220-225 lbs. What I like about him is that he actually has the hands and instincts for the interception. Plus, he is a good tackler (also seen by his production at Clemson), and we need that at the Safety position. I think he and Clemons would provide very good back-ups this year, and down the line, they could push for more.

Woods

Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;2707733 said:
Round 2 - Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma, 6-5, 329 lbs.
Round 3 - Dorell Scott, DT, Clemson, 6-3, 312 lbs.
Round 4a - Jason Williams, LB, Western Illinois, 6-1, 241 lbs
Round 4b - Michael Hamlin, SS, Clemson, 6-2, 214 lbs.
Round 5a - TJ Lang, OG, Eastern Michigan, 6-4, 316 lbs.
Round 5b - Johnny Knox, WR, Abilene Christian, 6-0, 185 lbs.
Round 5c - Joe Burnett, CB, UCF, 5-10, 192 lbs.
Round 6a - Stephen McGee, QB, Texas A&M, 6-3, 225 lbs.
Round 6b - C Clemons, FS, Clemson, 6-0, 208 lbs.
Round 7a - Philip Hunt, DE, Houston, 6-1, 261 lbs.
Round 7b - L Murtha, OT, Nebraska, 6-7, 306 lbs.

Picks I like -
Duke Robinson, TJ Lang, Johnny Knox, Joe Burnett, Chris Clemons

Picks I would hate
-Dorell Scott, Jason Williams, Michael Hamlin

I'm on the fence on McGee, Hunt, and Murtha. McGee doesn't seem like a NFL QB to me but is a tough S O B. Hunt seemed to have his best games against lower level tackles. Murtha seemed very athletic at the combine but I'm not sure he's a football player.

What's with all the Clemson picks?

Dorell Scott played with a sprained knee most of last year (I think it was a sprain, but it was a gimpy knee in any case) until the final few games of the season, where he was finally getting back to normal. He actually had good soph and junior seasons, and was expected to have a great senior year, but his knee was injured. IMO, if Scott had a healthy Senior year, he would easily have been projected much, much higher.

Again, with the Scott pick, this is a guy who has the frame to add on another 10-15 lbs., and he has the versatility to play both DE and NT in Wade's 34. I think his versatility also makes him valuable.

The Clemson picks were unintentional. But other than Scott, the other two are in the later rounds, being rounds 4 and 6.

But we do know that the Cowboys are interested in both Scott and Hamlin. I'm guessing that they have Scott pegged for the 3rd and Hamlin end of the 4th. Maybe Hamlin can be picked early in the 5th, not sure though.

texmex

Reaction score
Woods;2707682 said:
I'm not including any trades in this Mock Draft. Also, I'm assuming we do nothing more in FA until after the Draft.

Round 2
Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma, 6-5, 329 lbs.
I've been debating between Duke and M Freeman and Kruger, and I'm going with Robinson for now. I have to say that at the OG position we may have the best depth in the NFL (between Bigg, Robinson, Kosier, and Holland).

Round 3
Dorell Scott, DT, Clemson, 6-3, 312 lbs.
I do think that Wade is serious when he says he likes Siavii. That said, Spears and Bowen can test FA next year, and I think that Scott can also play some DE in Wade's 34 as he has that type of versatility. I think we may end up keeping 7 DL this year. Cowboys have shown interest in this player.

Round 4a
Jason Williams, LB, Western Illinois, 6-1, 241 lbs
Very productive and a fantastic athlete as well. He gets to learn behind Brooking and Brady James. In 2009 he competes for playing time versus Carpenter in the nickel.

Round 4b
Michael Hamlin, SS, Clemson, 6-2, 214 lbs.
Hamlin has the hands for the interception playing the SS position, which is what the Cowboys are looking for. In addition, he's a very good tackler, and we need that at the Safety position. Hamlin has the frame to add another 5-10 lbs if necessary. Hamlin backs up Sensabaugh in 2009, though Hamlin has the ability to push for a starting position in 2010. Cowboys have shown interest in this player.

Round 5a
TJ Lang, OG, Eastern Michigan, 6-4, 316 lbs.
Lang can play multiple positions on the OL, but he projects the best inside. I think he can play Center as well. Also, Lang has the frame to add another 10-15 lbs. He's a Hudson Houck mauler type, like Robinson. Suddenly, our OL is starting to shape up. Lang is moving up the draft boards, hopefully we can still get him here.

Round 5b
Johnny Knox, WR, Abilene Christian, 6-0, 185 lbs.
Knox is super fast, and with R Williams, Austin, Crayton, and Hurd, I don't think Knox needs to be rushed to produce. However, Garrett should be able to develop a few packages for Knox to utilize his speed from Day 1. Knox can also perform KR and PR duties, and we clearly need that added element. Knox has very good hands as well, and this is a player we should be able to develop over the next couple of years as he needs to get bigger and stronger.

Round 5c
Joe Burnett, CB, UCF, 5-10, 192 lbs.
Burnett is not super fast, but he is instinctive and productive. After parting ways with PacMan Jones and Henry, we need another CB. Burnett would start out as our 5th CB, but he has the skills to develop into much more than that.

Round 6a
Stephen McGee, QB, Texas A&M, 6-3, 225 lbs.
I think McGee is an excellent development QB. He has the raw tools, but he needs a lot more game time experience. McGee could go a round higher, but it's difficult to predict as he has limited experience.

Round 6b
C Clemons, FS, Clemson, 6-0, 208 lbs.
Clemons can definitely play centerfield on defense, and he also can run a sub 4.4 40. He is a playmaker who we can develop behind Ken Hamlin. Well, that's 3 Clemson players in my mock draft along with D. Scott and Michael Hamlin (purely unintentional)!

Round 7a
Philip Hunt, DE, Houston, 6-1, 261 lbs.
Hunt moves to OLB in Wade's 34. Again, a super productive college player with good physical abilities. Though Hunt is a bit short, he has good size in his lower and upper body. Hunt runs a 4.6 40 as well.

Round 7b
L Murtha, OT, Nebraska, 6-7, 306 lbs.
I'm going heavy on the OL this draft. Murtha has the physical attributes, but he needs to stay healthy.

Alternates to Murtha (as he is moving up the draft boards):
Alt 1. Antonio Appleby, ILB, Virginia, 6-4, 243 lbs. He fits in right away.
Alt 2. Ra'Shon Harris, Oregon, DT, 6-4, 300 lbs. (projects to DE) We stash him on the PS for a year. Cowboys have shown interest in this player.

Like the thought process of your mock. I would only switch the positions of the Dorrell Scott/Joe Burnett. I could see a corner in round 3 and NT in round 5. Based on cowboys recent draft history, they like OL, LB, CB in the first few rounds. They also like CBs who time well in the 40, which Burnett doesn't. I could definitely see Robinson in round 2 if there and I agree they don't take a WR until Round 5 at the earliest. I also think they try to find a backup C in this draft to take Proctor's spot on the roster

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice job Woods. I am concerned about not taking someone who we know can definitely play center.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Woods;2708033 said:
I've been reading that Lang can project to playing Center as well. I think the problem with Lang is that he could have some trouble at the tackle positions, but that in the interior positions, he should do a good job, including Center.

Do you think otherwise?

As with Hamlin, I think he's got the body type that he could add on about 10 lbs or so, which would put him around 220-225 lbs. What I like about him is that he actually has the hands and instincts for the interception. Plus, he is a good tackler (also seen by his production at Clemson), and we need that at the Safety position. I think he and Clemons would provide very good back-ups this year, and down the line, they could push for more.

I am not sure on Lang as center. I haven't watched him play the position at the Senior Bowl or anything. I have seen 5 or 6 Centers who won awards collegiately playing the position and who started 3 or 4 years at the position for major colleges. To me you go get one of those guys if you want to draft a guard because you can't put a massive blocking Guard next to Gurode and then think all is well.

We all heard how good a job Proctor did from the coaches.... Ever wonder why? Because he knew the line calls and could line everyone up. Gurode is not a good adjustor at the line and while he has pro bowl physicality he has only played his best with centers next to him at guard calling out adjustments. So there's no way I wait and take a flier on Lang who is an unknown while I draft another road grader at OG in r2. The team wants to get better on the OL not tread water. It isn't just about getting the most talent we can it is about fit and scheme.

This team has 4 OGs it really likes anyway with Davis, Kosier, Holland, Proctor. I would focus on places like safety to DE in round 2 that will actually play as a rookie unless someone great falls. And there is not a guard ranked high enough that getting him at 51 is a steal.

If you woulda gave me Eric Wood at 51 and then Lang later I could buy into that.

And to me Hamlin adding 10-15 more pounds is the last thing we want. The team just signed Gerald Sensabaugh detailing the kind of safety they want to Ken Hamlin. But Sensabaugh has off-field issues and is a stop gap so we need to draft someone like him for the long term. We cut RW38 and haven't resigned any other safety so it is clear we going a different direction at the position. That direction is away from "strong" safeties.

Again though I think you did a good job overall and I am just discussing the couple of picks I would do differently.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I have no faith in our FO's ability to scout and draft OL - our track record the last few years is just pitiful.

James Marten - 3rd round
Doug Free - 4th round
Pat McQuistan - 7th round
EJ Whitley - 7th round
Rob Petitti - 6th round
Jacob Rogers - 2nd round
Stephen Peterman - 3rd round
Al Johnson - 2nd round
Andre Gurode - 2nd round
Tyson Walter - 6th round
Matt Lehr - 5th round
Char-ron Dorsey - 7th round

Outside of Gurode, the rest of these guys are busts. That's basically one hit out of 12.

I have much more faith in our ability to draft DB's.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Avery;2708109 said:
I have no faith in our FO's ability to scout and draft OL - our track record the last few years is just pitiful.

James Marten - 3rd round
Doug Free - 4th round
Pat McQuistan - 7th round
EJ Whitley - 7th round
Rob Petitti - 6th round
Jacob Rogers - 2nd round
Stephen Peterman - 3rd round
Al Johnson - 2nd round
Andre Gurode - 2nd round
Tyson Walter - 6th round
Matt Lehr - 5th round
Char-ron Dorsey - 7th round

Outside of Gurode, the rest of these guys are busts. That's basically one hit out of 12.

I have much more faith in our ability to draft DB's.

While I tend to agree I am not sure it is the scouting and drafting that is killing us. I think it is the patience aspect.

Al Johnson played ok and while undersized was a decent NFL OC for a few years in the league. r2 was too high for him but he wasn't a total bust. Lehr and Peterman found homes outside Dallas after spending a few years here developing.

Marten and Rogers were super busts but that's why I am not all hot and bothered to go OL in rounds 1 or 2. Or even 3 really. I think you can get solid OL in rounds 4 and 5 and those guys need 3 years to develop anyway.

Of the guys above I wouldn't call any 7th rounder a bust so I'd say the hit ratio is more like 3 out of 9 which is still really bad and again why I wouldn't be in a hurry to take a Duke Robinson in r2. If he is sitting there in r3 so be it but interior OL always seem to fall.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell;2708091 said:
And to me Hamlin adding 10-15 more pounds is the last thing we want. The team just signed Gerald Sensabaugh detailing the kind of safety they want to Ken Hamlin. But Sensabaugh has off-field issues and is a stop gap so we need to draft someone like him for the long term. We cut RW38 and haven't resigned any other safety so it is clear we going a different direction at the position. That direction is away from "strong" safeties.

After thinking about I tend to agree with you JT. I think guys with Hamlin's body type and to a lesser extent Chung (5'11" 210lbs) are they types that gain even more weight as they age and lose enough speed where they become liabilities in coverage. I think both Hamlin and Chung are better playing in zone rather than man-to-man, which goes against what our corners are better at playing.

Give me a safety or even a hybrid safety-linebacker (ala Darren Woodson) who has enough speed to give up little speed as they age and I'll be pleased, especially if they have the so-called "loose-hips", which seems to be important when it comes to playing man-to-man.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell;2708121 said:
While I tend to agree I am not sure it is the scouting and drafting that is killing us. I think it is the patience aspect.

Al Johnson played ok and while undersized was a decent NFL OC for a few years in the league. r2 was too high for him but he wasn't a total bust. Lehr and Peterman found homes outside Dallas after spending a few years here developing.

Marten and Rogers were super busts but that's why I am not all hot and bothered to go OL in rounds 1 or 2. Or even 3 really. I think you can get solid OL in rounds 4 and 5 and those guys need 3 years to develop anyway.

Of the guys above I wouldn't call any 7th rounder a bust so I'd say the hit ratio is more like 3 out of 9 which is still really bad and again why I wouldn't be in a hurry to take a Duke Robinson in r2. If he is sitting there in r3 so be it but interior OL always seem to fall.

And we still have Holland who many seem to regard as a "scrub", but the guy could start at guard and not cause a significant loss of performance along the offensive line.

The one reason, I could see a talented guard be taken is if the Cowboys view Bigg as the main back-up at either tackle position.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
jterrell;2708121 said:

Fair enough. The reason I labeled Johnson as such is that I consider anyone drafted within the first 100 picks of a draft to be an impact player who will give a team years and years of service (at #38 overall, you expect a center who is already being drafted higher than normal to outperform).

Woods

Reaction score
Let me add that we have a meeting with LB Jason Williams scheduled as well.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I am on board with this mock if you switch Kruger with Robinson. Taking two Guards in one draft is overkill, and I'm not sure how quickly Lang can transition to the Center position, or if he even can.

Woods

Reaction score
BAT;2709540 said:
I am on board with this mock if you switch Kruger with Robinson. Taking two Guards in one draft is overkill, and I'm not sure how quickly Lang can transition to the Center position, or if he even can.

It was just posted we are showing interest in Lang as well.

As for Kruger, I had him as my pick in Round 2 in my earlier mock.

As I said, I've been going back and forth between Kruger, Freeman, and Robinson.

But you make a valid point.

I really like Kruger as well, esp his versatility.

I'm also curious as to whether the Cowboys invite him to Valley Ranch for a workout.