Woods' Mock Draft - Version 1.0

Woods

Reaction score
Assumptions:
We sign a veteran FG kicker in FA.
I am assuming no trades on Draft Day.

Round 1
Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State, 6-5, 301 lbs.
Simply said, I think he may be the top guy remaining at 27, and he is not a reach. I think the top OTs will already be gone. My alternative pick is Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida.

Also, I think Odrick is the type of player who can get some penetration playing DE in a 34 scheme. This fits in well for JJ because after this coming season he has to deal with expiring contracts/FA status for guys like Spears, Bowen, and Hatcher. While we all want M Dixon to work out, he is still a relative unknown.

Round 2
Dexter McCluster, WR/RB/KR, Miss, 5-8, 165 lbs, 4.42
In a sense, this would be a "luxury" pick for the Cowboys. I would not expect McCluster to be a full time WR or RB, but rather a spot player. His immediate contribution would be on STs as a kick and punt returner. As a wideout, there would be special packages specifically for him, like on WR screens, reverses, deep routes, etc.

McCluster would basically add another playmaker on Offense to complement Austin and F Jones, and very importantly, another guy who can stretch the field. I have to admit, however, the Cowboys don't typically draft small wideouts, but in McCluster's case, he is a dynamic playmaker. I would think the Cowboys would use McCluster like Minn uses P Harvin.

As an alternative, I'd consider guys like Taylor Price (in the 2nd/3rd round) or J Ford in the 3rd/4th round.

Round 3
Jason Fox, OT, Miami, 6-6, 314, 5.16
Fox started at RT playing at Miami, but then proceeded to play LT. In the pros, Fox may be better suited for RT. While he may not have elite athleticism, he is a tough, experienced player, and he knows how to play through pain. I think Fox offers versatility on our OL, and at the very least, I think he could at least play RT. I see Free eventually playing LT, and Brewster playing OG/RT.

Fox could go in Round 2, but for purposes of this mock, I'm assuming his health related issues cause him to drop a little bit. NFLDraftScouts have Fox as a 2-3 rounder.

Round 4
Chris Cook, CB, Virginia, 6-2, 212 lbs
C Cook is the type of player the Cowboys like, IMO, as he can play both CB and FS - similar to what Ball is currently doing. In effect, players like C Cook offer the versatility to save a roster spot. As we know, the Cowboys have some interest in Cook. I especially like physical corners with size, and Cook offers that.

Round 6
Chris Scott, OT, Tenn, 6-5, 346 lbs, 5.36
C Scott started his career playing RG before playing LT at Tenn. I would look at Scott as a potential OG (and possibly RT) prospect in the pros. He has the size that the Cowboys like on the OL, and he has played multiple OL positions at Tenn as well, which offers the team some versatility. Scott does have significant playing experience against top talent.

Round 7
Donald Butler, ILB, Washington, 6-1, 242 lbs, 4.80
Butler is an instinctive and very active ILB. His forte is playing the run. We already have guys like Carp, potentially Hodge who would be typical nickel ILBs. Hopefully J Williams develops as a 3 down ILB in the next couple of years. In the meantime, Butler plays on STs. He is a guy who the staff can develop over the next couple of years.

Comments?

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
I very seriously doubt we address D line with our 1st pick...to me that would make no sense

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting mock Woods.

While I'm not big on drafting a DL in the first round, if all the prime Olinemen are gone, I could see this happening.

lkelly

Reaction score
If Odrick's there, and there's no glaring need pick staring them in the face, I'd love that pick. He's a far better pass rusher than either of our starting DEs. He gets double teamed every play already and he definitely gives 100% all game. I don't think you can ever have enough good pass rushers and he has plenty of upside.

All that said, he's probably gone by pick 20.

Woods

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;3261353 said:
Interesting mock Woods.

While I'm not big on drafting a DL in the first round, if all the prime Olinemen are gone, I could see this happening.

To be honest, my preference is getting an OT in Round 1 as well, but I don't want to reach. I just think the top guys will be gone, and I don't see Ducasse as a Round 1 OT (rather a early/mid Round 2 type of guy).

I assumed no trades in my Mock, so I was a bit stuck, and I thought the best thing is to take the best guy possible. By most accounts, Odrick is a Round 1 talent.

Woods

Reaction score
dadymat;3261317 said:
I very seriously doubt we address D line with our 1st pick...to me that would make no sense

Assuming no trades (as per my assumption), and that the top OT are gone, I think Odrick may be the best guy available.

That said, I hope a top OT drops to us, but I think the odds are relatively low.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woods;3261294 said:
Round 1
Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State, 6-5, 301 lbs.

Round 2
Dexter McCluster, WR/RB/KR, Miss, 5-8, 165 lbs, 4.42
I really don't see us going in either direction until later in the draft. It does look like Jerry is just going to sit and wait until 27 and pick. But you never know. If the guy he wants is still there in the early 20's he will be itching to pull the trigger.

Gaede

Reaction score
Love the Butler pick. I've read a lot of good things bout him at senior bowl practices

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I think taking a DE in the 3-4 with your 1st overall pick will be a waste, personally but I like the draft.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't see us taking a DL with our first pick. There should be ten players in our tier.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Woods;3261668 said:
To be honest, my preference is getting an OT in Round 1 as well, but I don't want to reach. I just think the top guys will be gone, and I don't see Ducasse as a Round 1 OT (rather a early/mid Round 2 type of guy).

I assumed no trades in my Mock, so I was a bit stuck, and I thought the best thing is to take the best guy possible. By most accounts, Odrick is a Round 1 talent.

we pick near the end of the 1st round

what's the difference?

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3262477 said:
Why? Neither of the first two picks addresses an area of need.

Debatable and when you draft for need is when you get in trouble. No need to reach for a OL if it's not there. If you read his explanation that becomes clear.

Ordick can play DT or DE in our system. McCluster can fill all sorts of needs.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I definitely like the 1st and 3rd rounds. I wouldn't want to go that high for McCluster. Torn on the rest of the picks.

Reaction score
SDogo;3262517 said:
Debatable and when you draft for need is when you get in trouble. No need to reach for a OL if it's not there. If you read his explanation that becomes clear.

Ordick can play DT or DE in our system. McCluster can fill all sorts of needs.

exactly, btw nice mock in your sig, hope thomas falls.