Woods Mock Draft - Version 2

Woods

Reaction score
Assumptions:

1. No trades in this mock draft version
2. Cowboys pick up a reasonably priced veteran FG kicker in the off-season (i.e., Stover)

Round 1
Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho
6-5, 325/330 lbs
First of all, I actually think there is a reasonable chance he drops to 27. Though Iupati has 35" inch arms, has good feet for a big man, etc., he's going to be an OG for at least the next couple of years. Down the line, I think he has the versatility to likely play RT as well. But we all know that OG tend to drop. The first 4-5 OL will probably be OTs, IMO. I think Iupati could drop right to our spot.

The question then is does JJ stay at 27 or does he trade down? Does he trade down for a Safety, for example? If we really like Iupati, an OG, at 27, my guess is that our scouts think he has Pro Bowl potential. And if that's the case, I think we draft him. It will be difficult to turn down a potential Pro Bowl quality player, even though quality OGs can be had in the lower rounds.

Round 2
Morgan Burnett, FS, Georgia Tech
6-1, 210 lbs, 4.54
So, the Cowboys want a playmaker at Safety? Someone with ball skills? Check this out: In 2007 Burnett had 3 ints, in 2008 he had 7 ints, and in 2009 he had 4 ints. In his Georgia Tech career, Burnett has had 14 ints. I believe in 2008 Burnett had more interceptions alone than the remainder of the team's secondary. Also, given Burnett's athleticism, he also played some nickel CB in college. Thus, he offers some versatility which would be useful for the Cowboys secondary. Burnett also had good size for the FS position.

Round 3
J Ford, WR, Clemson
5-09, 185 lbs, 4.3 (maybe faster)
He's not just a track star trying to play WR. Yes, he did win the 60mm NCAA indoor event in 2009. And he does run around a 10.2 sec 100mm. But, as he proved at the Senior Bowl, he does have good hands. In fact, he showed some of the best hands at the Senior Bowl, to the surprise of many. Importantly, he also can return kickoffs. We know that the team is looking for an upgrade in that department. Ford gives the Cowboys another guy who can stretch the field, along with Austin and F Jones.

Interestingly, Ford's legs are built like a RBs. And at Clemson, he was used in a variety of ways, including as a runner (in some formations), etc. I think Ford is the type of player Garrett can put together a set number of plays for in a game and can get a lot out of this player. For example, Ford can be used for reverses, fly patterns, quick WR screens, etc. The opposing defenses will have to respect his speed. And Ford can catch. It's not that he's only a burner.

Round 4
Kyle Calloway, OT, Iowa
6-6, 322 lbs, 5.28
Kyle Calloway is a RT prospect, and he has the size the Cowboys like, along with Iupati. That said, he has also played some LT and OG at Iowa. Personally, I think Calloway can be a starter at RT down the line. If Free is focused on LT, Calloway could eventually be the RT in a couple of years.

Round 6
Walter Thurmond, CB, Oregon
5-11, 182 lbs, 4.53
Walter should be healthy by the Combines (or so he expects). Worst case is that he'll run at his Pro Day in March. Again, here's another guy who was a playmaker in college - until his injury. He had 11 ints in his Oregon career. If not for his injury, Walter could easily have been a Day 1 pick. Also, Walter was the primary kick returner at Oregon in 2008, averaging about 25.1 yards per kickoff. I think this guy is worth the injury risk - so long as the medical staff has checked him out. I'm looking forward to his times at the Combine/Pro Day.

Round 7
Danny Batten, OLB/ILB/DE, South Dakota State
6-4, 252 lbs, 4.68
A couple of people on this board have highlighted this player. I have to admit, he looks like an intriguing prospect. After some preliminary research, it appears that various teams, including the Bears, are intersted in him.

His versatility would help him with a roster spot on the team. I envision him playing ILB in Wade's 34. Our starting 4 LBs are set, we know that V Butler, B Williams, and J Williams make the team. Carpenter probably also makes the team as a nickel LB. That's already 8 LBs. Then there's Octavian, Hodge, etc. Who we keep as the 9th LB, for example, has to be able to play STs and any additional versatilty is critical. Batten has a chance since he can likely play multiple LB positions.

Comments welcome.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I'll take that draft.

Although, I would pass on Iupati and go with the Penn State DT Odrick or Tenn DT Williams

Woods

Reaction score
ninja;3283338 said:
I'll take that draft.

Although, I would pass on Iupati and go with the Penn State DT Odrick or Tenn DT Williams

i had Odrick in my first mock draft version. Also, I probably should have put it in the assumptions, but I'm assuming that DT Williams is already gone, along with T Williams, Bulaga, Campbell at OT. The top 2 safties are also gone.

The main guys remaining at 27 include Iupati, Odrick, Pouncey, Spikes at LB, along with C Brown at OT and Weatherspoon at LB. Nate Allen at Safety is still there, and Tate is also still at 27.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I'd take that, though I think Calloway will be long gone by the 4th.

Woods

Reaction score
VACowboy;3283361 said:
I'd take that, though I think Calloway will be long gone by the 4th.

quite possibly. i was using nfldraftscouts rankings this time around for consistency. they had him as a 4th rounder (for now, at least).

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
ninja;3283338 said:
I'll take that draft.

Yea b/c drafting a DT when you have one of the best DT's in the league makes so much sense. Especially when both he and the coaches have said he likes being a DT and wants to play DT. Brilliant.

The only possible way I'd take Odrick with 27 would be if every FS/OL/WR/LB we like is gone. That likely won't happen. D-Line is far from a priority at this time.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Muhast;3283493 said:
The only possible way I'd take Odrick with 27 would be if every FS/OL/WR/LB we like is gone. That likely won't happen. D-Line is far from a priority at this time.

What is a priority? Arguably only 2 positions on the filed are up for grabes and one of them is a kicker. Your dont draft for priority. No one was complaining when Jimmy Johnson was stocking up on DL and it worked out pretty good.

We should have a better idea come April if we are entering camp with the Spears, Bowen and Hatcher trio but I know if it was me and Spears left town then Odrick would become a major priority.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
SDogo;3283500 said:
What is a priority? Arguably only 2 positions on the filed are up for grabes and one of them is a kicker. Your dont draft for priority. No one was complaining when Jimmy Johnson was stocking up on DL and it worked out pretty good.

We should have a better idea come April if we are entering camp with the Spears, Bowen and Hatcher trio but I know if it was me and Spears left town then Odrick would become a major priority.

When you have an aging O-Line that just crumbled in a playoff game, a 35 year old MLB and Safeties that can't make a play on a football, all of those are much more important then a run stopping DE.

SDogo

Reaction score
Muhast;3283515 said:
When you have an aging O-Line that just crumbled in a playoff game, a 35 year old MLB and Safeties that can't make a play on a football, all of those are much more important then a run stopping DE.

Actually he is much more then a run stopper. He provides a better pass rush then any DE we currently have. With that said, Arguably if Spears leaves DE becomes our greatest need. We could possibly bring back both our safeties, we have a young man in Michael Hamlin we know very little about and Alan Ball showed a lot of promise last year. No one we draft at OL will start this season. Brooking is 35 but we have Jason Williams who again, we know very little about but more then any rookie we could draft.

That silly DE is just as much a need as any you listed under possible circumstances and realistically could have more of a impact this season then any OL we draft.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Muhast;3283515 said:

I have always found the arguements on both sides of the fence compelling...draft bpa...draft need...

Drafting BPA gives you a football player most of the time(witha chance of getting a playmaker) but that BPA may be at a position of strength and of little use to the team till 3,4,5 years down the road due to the numbers.... either at his position or what they are getting paid. example OLB Ware & Spencer are probably a safe bet to be here awhile... would another guy make sense giving the limited cap dollars (assuming there is a cap)...

now lets say they had a O-line guard available at the same time who though he wasn't bpa was at a position of need and they thought he could step right in and play and that he wouldn't slide much further down in the draft...should they draft him?...

one maybe a playmaker the other maybe no more than solid but at a postion of need.

I find the answer is hard to give as there may not be a right/wrong one...there are possibilities of trades etc. but it is sometimes fun to ponder.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
SDogo;3283525 said:
Actually he is much more then a run stopper. He provides a better pass rush then any DE we currently have. With that said, Arguably if Spears leaves DE becomes our greatest need. We could possibly bring back both our safeties, we have a young man in Michael Hamlin we know very little about and Alan Ball showed a lot of promise last year. No one we draft at OL will start this season. Brooking is 35 but we have Jason Williams who again, we know very little about but more then any rookie we could draft.

That silly DE is just as much a need as any you listed under possible circumstances and realistically could have more of a impact this season then any OL we draft.

Marcus Spears stats were better in college than Jared Odricks. We could get a DE in FA or later in the draft. Besides we have capable players on our team already. Drafting one in the first when we have far more pressing needs is just not smart IMO.

"arguably our greatest need".. Hatcher and Bowen would be more then serviceable at DE platooning. We have far greater needs in a playmaking Safety and OLine.

Even if Spears leaves, we still have 3-4 positions more important then a DL.

SDogo

Reaction score
Muhast;3283592 said:
Marcus Spears stats were better in college than Jared Odricks. We could get a DE in FA or later in the draft. Besides we have capable players on our team already. Drafting one in the first when we have far more pressing needs is just not smart IMO.

"arguably our greatest need".. Hatcher and Bowen would be more then serviceable at DE platooning. We have far greater needs in a playmaking Safety and OLine.

Even if Spears leaves, we still have 3-4 positions more important then a DL.

What have you seen out of either Hatcher or Bowen that makes you believe any platoon of those two would hold up over the course of 16-19 games?

What do you want at safet in the first round? Berry and Thomas are likely to be gone. Do you reach for a Nate Allen in the first and hope he is better then Ball or Michael Hamlin?

As far as OL, yes I believe it needs addressed but it's one of the deepest positions in this draft and we dont know what we have in Brewster. It's obvious it needs addressed just as safety but you dont reach for one.

I just dont see the logic in passing up a better player to make yourself feel better for picking a position.

People here argue all the time that Jimmy Johnson may have ran some of the best drafts we seen yet he himself always believed you dont draft on need you draft on talent.

Teams that start ignoring their board to draft to fill the depth chart find themselves drafting to fill a draft chart year after year.

SDogo

Reaction score
Muhast;3283592 said:
Marcus Spears stats were better in college than Jared Odricks.

I'm hoping you took the time to research this and just got mixed up. I know your better then this.

One thing anyone here will learn about me is I take the time to research and I research a lot and not just at the times I need to.