Recommended Word of Muth: Cowboy Zone

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's Ben Muth's latest column on the Cowboys O-line. By his own admission, it's not one of his more interesting columns, but the stuff on individual plays is still pretty great. He focuses entirely on running plays here, and there's good stuff about Free, Waters and Frederick.
Despite a pretty convincing win, it wasn’t a great performance from the Dallas offense. As a team they put up 31 points, but 17 of those were the result of a punt-return touchdown and short fields. I think they missed DeMarco Murray once he went out, but mainly it just seemed like an off-night from Tony Romo that held Dallas back. In fact, it’s pretty humorous that Romo will get basically zero flak this week for being sub-par after he was killed last week for playing absolutely outstanding.

But we aren’t here to talk about Tony Romo, we’re here to take a look at what happened up front for Dallas. The column is going to be a little disjointed this week. This is largely because the Cowboys offense was a little off, but not in particularly interesting ways. So this week I’m just going to try to pick the plays I found the most interesting with little regard for a cohesive theme throughout the column.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2013/word-muth-cowboy-zone

basstapp

Reaction score
he still completed 60% of his passes and had a clutch TD when it mattered. The interception can be pointed at Romo, but it was really good d-line play. Not to mention Romo didn't need to pass the ball the last two drives.

Wood

Reaction score
I think the author needs to reconsider what he considers a success. Wins matter not fantasy stats.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
he still completed 60% of his passes and had a clutch TD when it mattered. The interception can be pointed at Romo, but it was really good d-line play. Not to mention Romo didn't need to pass the ball the last two drives.

True. But he still didn't look as sharp as he has lately.

His numbers looked pretty ugly because of the things you mentioned, but his actual play also didn't look nearly as great except for that beauty of a TD to TWill.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was pretty clearly an off-day for Romo: not sure what's controversial about that. The 60% completion percentage and 5.7 YPA are very low by Tony's standards, and just watching the game, a number of passes were off-line, which I'm not used to seeing from him. But of course, the article focuses on running plays anyway.

Tricericon

Reaction score

I think the author needs to reconsider what he considers a success. Wins matter not fantasy stats.

A lot of Tony's completions were short and not very useful; he finished with < 6.0 yards per attempt.

Anyway, wins are a team stat and I rather doubt the author considers Sunday night unsuccessful for the Cowboys, even if it was somewhat unsuccessful for Romo.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I'll be watching for that right-side counter when Witten lines up on the left, to see if we just got careless with our tendencies, or if we were setting up the Eagles.

erod

Reaction score
First, that throw to Williams for the TD is as good of a throw as there's been in the league this year.

Second, big returns can throw an offense off. Too much standing around on the sideline.

Lastly, the Commanders have a good front, and Haslet has a very complicated blitz scheme that he definitely wanted to use on our young lineman.

Overall, it was an encouraging performance by the o-line.

visionary

Reaction score
A lot of Tony's completions were short and not very useful; he finished with < 6.0 yards per attempt.

Anyway, wins are a team stat and I rather doubt the author considers Sunday night unsuccessful for the Cowboys, even if it was somewhat unsuccessful for Romo.

if we blame the qb (romo) when the team loses, we need to credit him when the team wins

JMO

Wood

Reaction score

If Romo threw for 500 yards and the RB fumbled the ball to the loose the game...I would agree with your take on it. But as we know that is not what happend. Romo directly impacted the outcome of game regardless of the track meet that ensued for the previous 58 minutes.