World Cup

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I know this is off topic but I am really curius what the general opinion of soccer is.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
::Yawn:: Wake me when it is over.....How many more years will it take before people in the U.S. realize that we will never be able to compete with the rest of the world in soccer????

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
JakeCamp12 said:
::Yawn:: Wake me when it is over.....How many more years will it take before people in the U.S. realize that we will never be able to compete with the rest of the world in soccer????

Why would we want to?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
World Cup is the only time I really pay attention to American soccer, overall I find the game itself boring

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
JakeCamp12 said:

Thats obvious, I just keep hearing how soccer is growing in popularity in the US by various media outlets and was wondering with what group. I dont know a single American that gives a rats butt about it.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I referee soccer just about every weekend.
US team put up a poor effort the other day.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Doomsday said:
Thats obvious, I just keep hearing how soccer is growing in popularity in the US by various media outlets and was wondering with what group. I dont know a single American that gives a rats butt about it.

I see more young kids getting involved with soccer instead of football. I think more parents are concerned with injuries and look at soccer as a safer sport for young kids.

Woods

Reaction score
Actually, I think the US team world ranking was very high going into this World Cup.

I'm not a big fan, but living in Europe, I'm forced to watch the World Cup . . . .

I think one of the reasons soccer has had a problem catching on in the US is that there are already enough sports for each season in the US.

Between football (both pro and college), baseball, basketball (plus college basketball), nascar, golf, tennis, hockey, etc. etc. there is only so much room for soccer.

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
Fantastic sport.

Everybody can play.

Unites the world (arguably also splits).

There are not always advantages to being tall.

Can be as complicated or as simple as the players/viewers choose.

Costs virtually nothing to play - allowing even poverty stricken regions to compete.

The US rides quite high in the FIFA rankings - but that doesn't mean too much. More importantly, it is difficult to qualify for this stage - reflecting SOME success. Whether the US will ever compete as a top nation is another matter.

Punchline - I love the sport, but spend more time trawling for information on American Football than Association Football (Soccer).

jem88

Reaction score
Doomsday said:
I dont know a single American that gives a rats butt about it.
...yet there seems to be endless talk amongst American media outlets about how you guys don't care for the game. If you're all so indifferent then why the continual need to tell the rest of the world how indifferent you are.

Soccer is the best sport in the world and the World Cup is the greatest sporting event. Argentina has looked the best so far.

jem88

Reaction score
Chrissyboy said:
Fantastic sport.

Everybody can play.

Unites the world (arguably also splits).

Can be as complicated or as simple as the players/viewers choose.

Costs virtually nothing to play - allowing even poverty stricken regions to compete.

The US rides quite high in the FIFA rankings - but that doesn't mean too much. More importantly, it is difficult to qualify for this stage - reflecting SOME success. Whether the US will ever compete as a top nation is another matter.

Punchline - I love the sport, but spend more time trawling for information on American Football than Association Football (Soccer).
What are your thoughts on England? I thought they looked awful on Saturday. Guys like Lampard, Gerrard, and Beckham just aren't in the same league as guys like Riquelme, Kaka and Nedved. I really hope Rooney is back to full strength, otherwise England has no chance.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
International soccer is entertaining, IMO. I don't watch MLS.

I like the continuous play and general absence of commercials.

jem88

Reaction score
ZeroClub said:
International soccer is entertaining, IMO. I don't watch MLS.

I like the continuous play and general absence of commercials.
Agreed. The older I get, the harder I find it to put up with the constant barrage of commercials during an NFL game.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Chrissyboy said:

no advantage? in the chec(sp?) v.s. US there was a forward, i think, who was 6'7" and headered it in for a goal over team us's 6'1" defender...so theres a little importance to height :p: