World of Warcraft Classic coming this Monday!

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Been playing a little bit for most every day since release. Got my Warrior up to level 20, as well as leveled up my Mining/Blacksmithing and First Aid.
Died a few times in PVP.
Died many more times in PVE
Made a little bit of $$ selling stuff on the Auction House.
Got in a few good groups that made questing a whole lot easier but still haven't been in Deadmines yet but am looking forward to it.
Even when the server is at full capacity the longest ive had to wait is around 6 minutes.
This is in my opinion the best MMO on the market today. Much better than FF14, ESO, GW2, as well as the FTP versions of EQ1/2 and LOTRO. I wont mention any Eastern MMOs because they aren't in the same league.

I see no reason anyone would return to WOW retail.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been playing a little bit for most every day since release. Got my Warrior up to level 20, as well as leveled up my Mining/Blacksmithing and First Aid.
Died a few times in PVP.
Died many more times in PVE
Made a little bit of $$ selling stuff on the Auction House.
Got in a few good groups that made questing a whole lot easier but still haven't been in Deadmines yet but am looking forward to it.
Even when the server is at full capacity the longest ive had to wait is around 6 minutes.
This is in my opinion the best MMO on the market today. Much better than FF14, ESO, GW2, as well as the FTP versions of EQ1/2 and LOTRO. I wont mention any Eastern MMOs because they aren't in the same league.

I see no reason anyone would return to WOW retail.
The real issue with playing classic/re-released MMOs is not the leveling aspect. During that period the game is fun, nostalgia is great and you feel like you make real progress each time you login instead of the grind-and-repeat you find with most longtime MMOs. The problem arises once you and most of the server hit the level cap. Sure you can create alts, but after you max out multiple alts you start to wish they would open up more expansions (and maybe they will). Until that happens, the game gets repetitive and somewhat boring.

I think it's great that Blizzard spent months rebuilding the original WoW so that gamers can re-experience or experience for the first time the original game. I just would not be quick to dismiss the regular servers given the massive amount of content they contain, especially compared to WoW Classic.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
The real issue with playing classic/re-released MMOs is not the leveling aspect. During that period the game is fun, nostalgia is great and you feel like you make real progress each time you login instead of the grind-and-repeat you find with most longtime MMOs. The problem arises once you and most of the server hit the level cap. Sure you can create alts, but after you max out multiple alts you start to wish they would open up more expansions (and maybe they will). Until that happens, the game gets repetitive and somewhat boring.

I think it's great that Blizzard spent months rebuilding the original WoW so that gamers can re-experience or experience for the first time the original game. I just would not be quick to dismiss the regular servers given the massive amount of content they contain, especially compared to WoW Classic.

Well Classic to me at least is new, I only played a day or 2 on release and stuck with EQ2 for the most part. I constantly have to use Google ** to learn about whats the best way to spend talent points or what are the best skills to train/or not train. I have about 2 weeks left on this sub and will sub again at least once more. At the slow pace I move it may be quite a while til I max a couple of alts.:laugh:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well Classic to me at least is new, I only played a day or 2 on release and stuck with EQ2 for the most part. I constantly have to use Google ** to learn about whats the best way to spend talent points or what are the best skills to train/or not train. I have about 2 weeks left on this sub and will sub again at least once more. At the slow pace I move it may be quite a while til I max a couple of alts.:laugh:
I wasn't criticizing the game. I played WoW off and on but never got anywhere close to max level on my characters. I never disliked the game. I just always had other games I would rather play instead.

That said, if I knew Blizzard was going to activate each expansion eventually (and on what schedule) on the classic servers, I would probably be more interested in playing it.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I wasn't criticizing the game. I played WoW off and on but never got anywhere close to max level on my characters. I never disliked the game. I just always had other games I would rather play instead.

That said, if I knew Blizzard was going to activate each expansion eventually (and on what schedule) on the classic servers, I would probably be more interested in playing it.

Hope so!
Hopefully other companies jump on the classic bandwagon, would love to see LOTRO back to its original state from release until 2010. I would pay a sub for that.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hope so!
Hopefully other companies jump on the classic bandwagon, would love to see LOTRO back to its original state from release until 2010. I would pay a sub for that.
LOTRO already released their version of the Classic server. Just like Daybreak did with EQ1 and EQ2, they simply used their current games with time-locked content. Meaning, each expansion and DLC will open over time. In other words, they didn't really put much effort into them.

LOTRO calls theirs "Legendary" Servers while Daybreak calls theirs, "Time-Locked Expansion (TLE)" servers. Even though both games are free to play now, their classic-like servers require subscriptions so its a great way to avoid free-to-play players.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
LOTRO already released their version of the Classic server. Just like Daybreak did with EQ1 and EQ2, they simply used their current games with time-locked content. Meaning, each expansion and DLC will open over time. In other words, they didn't really put much effort into them.

LOTRO calls theirs "Legendary" Servers while Daybreak calls theirs, "Time-Locked Expansion (TLE)" servers. Even though both games are free to play now, their classic-like servers require subscriptions so its a great way to avoid free-to-play players.

Yes played on the Legendary server for 1 month and it wasn't the same. The PVE didn't seem to be quite as hard and the LOTRO store was still there selling everything they do in the current ftp version. Almost tried the EQ2 TLE server but decided not to after reading it just wasn't the same.

CashMan

Reaction score

What my friends and I would do when endgame got boring was to roll twinks. Like a lvl 39 full decked out twink.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
How is PVP in Classic?

Even though I really have no interest in PvP I joined a PvP server because a friend did. Several nights ago a group of about 40 Horde invaded Lakeshire in the Redridge Mountains. They were about 30 Alliance players there on the bridge in basically a standoff until the Horde advanced and killed everything in sight{me included}.

CashMan

Reaction score
Even though I really have no interest in PvP I joined a PvP server because a friend did. Several nights ago a group of about 40 Horde invaded Lakeshire in the Redridge Mountains. They were about 30 Alliance players there on the bridge in basically a standoff until the Horde advanced and killed everything in sight{me included}.
I was apart of The Enclave PVP guild back when BC dropped. We did some sick stuff. We went to every Horde main city and killed the king. A lot of that stuff is still up on youtube.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I was apart of The Enclave PVP guild back when BC dropped. We did some sick stuff. We went to every Horde main city and killed the king. A lot of that stuff is still up on youtube.

Awesome, will look it up later tonight on YT.:thumbup: