CFZ Worse Injuries In Cowboys History

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The cowboys are injury prone. Overshawn gone, promising rookie tight end gone, another player i think rookie gone in preseason. Then smith injury, and now biadz and diggs. And a few of the safeties. Of course Lewis and pollard last year. The list goes on and on and on. There appears to be a huge problem with conditioning on this team i beileve and turning into a veritable mash unit. The Red Cross kettle should be the teams new insignia on all helmets and shirts. We are never going to Super Bowl with this baloney.
Stars----i was thinking because of negotiations players are not as in shape starting season which has to account for many of the injuries??

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Worse injuries I can think of because of what they represented and impacted, imo:

-Irvin knee his rookie year.
-Galloway knee, first year and first game we traded for him
- Romo- pick a time.
- Dak's leg
-Kevin Smith- 1st game when he was coming into his own.
-Frederick- just horrible.
I have an autoimmune disease and the fatigue from it as just a normal guy is crazy. I can totally understand why he retired. Totally blows.

plasticman

Reaction score
did we not lose NFC champ game against Commanders 26-3?....just going off memory...nope i lied i looked at google
Correct, in a game where Hall of Famer CB Herb Adderly was unavailable and then Charlie Waters went down. Almost every Washington point was scored over the head of 3rd team CB Mark Washington.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score
Yea I’m especially since they just wasted a 100 million dollars on this guy that could have went to lamb

Tractor1

Reaction score
I'm an old guy, but can remember a Tony Dorsett toe injury that cause much consternation. The reported cause was a dropped mirror that was used for snorting cocaine.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Charlie Waters for the 79 season ro injury. We lost the whole right side, Too Tall retired, Hollywood was kicked off team and then we lost to Ferragamos Rams in the plsyoffs.....horrible year....Stsubachs last.

Gorgon

Reaction score
Greg Ellis comes to mind as a significant injury.
As I recall, Dallas had just gotten Deion and in game one in NY Kevin Smith, the other CB, who was better than Larry Brown, pulled an achilles (I think). Larry Brown finished the season and
had the amazing (lucky) Super Bowl vs. Steelers. Still, I would have liked to have seen the Deion/Smith CB combo just one year. Smith was never as good when he came back, either.

Gorgon

Reaction score
The Galloway one was definitely rough. We weren’t a good team and I doubt we did much even with him healthy, but I think it was more that we had just literally traded away years of draft picks for him. Minnesota Herschel Walker’s Trade revenge along with the Randy Moss beatdowns.

The Frederick one was for sure the most unexpected bummer of them all. You don’t want it to happen, but you know the players are going to get hurt through the season. That one being what it was was a complete shocker. Those three linemen - TFred, Tyron, and Zack — should have all got into the Hall of Fame together.
Correct and we had another guy at RT who, as I recall was nearly at their level. I think he got hurt and was replaced by La'el Collins?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
agreement...we will adjust...i remember Jourdan Lewis shutting down his side against unbeaten Saints team i think 2018?...he is not JAG
That was a CZ fictional story.

He played 8 total snaps in that game.

Gorgon

Reaction score
Many probably won't remember this because we went on to win the Super Bowl, but Mark Stepnowski had I think gone FA and we brought in James Donaldson from Indy at center. I recall a game against the Chiefs he was just
manhandling DTs and the holes were never so big---then he broke his leg as I recall and was done for the year. We brought in Derrick Kennard from the saints, a guard whom we made center. He was good, and I think we won the Super Bowl that year, but the line with Donaldson was probably the best in Cowboy history.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Didn’t rookie Alexander Wright get a season ending knee injury, the next year he injured it again and his career was over? He played like 1 or 2 NFL games?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am creating this thread to give some context and, perhaps, offer a little hope.

We are all disappointed by the sad news that Diggs is lost for the season, particularly since this season's defense was playing at an historic level, not just for the Cowboys but the entire NFL.

However, he is not going to be replaced by some undrafted rookie free agent. When the shuffling is completed, the next starter will be the former starter at the particular position he will be playing. Jourdan Lewis is a 7 year veteran. In his last starting season, Jourdan had 3 INT's, a forced fumble, two recovered fumbles, 1.5 sacks, 47 solo tackles, 3 QB hits, and a tackle for a loss.

There have been far more devastating injuries in Cowboys history.

The 2015 season was certainly disappointing with Tony Romo going down. He was the NFL leader in passer rating the previous season and everyone was excited about the team building on their successful 2014 season.

One of the more devastating injuries in Cowboys history occurred in 1986 when Danny White went down. This was the season that Herschel Walker joined the Cowboys. They had a 1-2 punch of Walker and Dorsett in the backfield. Halfway through the season, they were 6-2 and primed for their 21st consecutive winning season. They looked strong.

When White was replaced by Steve Pelluer, everything went downfield. They went 1-7 in the 2nd half and Tom Landry and the Cowboys had their first losing season since 1965. They never recovered, going 7-8 in 1987 and then 3-13 in 1988 which ultimately led to Landry's dismissal.

The Cowboys won their first Super Bowl in 1971 with Roger Staubach at quarterback. He was the leading passer in the NFL that season as well as SB MVP. The following year, Roger Staubach was lost for the entire regular season when he was injured during a preseason game. The Cowboys still made it to the playoffs but lost in the NFC championship game. Losing Staubach that season was probably the single most traumatic event in my years as a Cowboys fan.

In the first round of the 1984 draft the Cowboys selected LB Billy Cannon Jr., the son of legendary college player and Heisman trophy winner Billy Cannon. Cannon Jr. broke his neck in the 4th game of his rookie season. It didn't just end his season. It ended his career.

In 1986 the Cowboys drafted WR Mike Sherrard in eh first round. He had a great rookie season and we were all excited to see him build on it during his 2nd season. However, he broke his leg in the preseason. The following year he was jogging on a beach just before the start of the preseason and he broke his leg again.

These are tragic events but they are part of football, a sometimes violent game. Diggs will be back and I'm sure we all look forward to his return next season. In the meantime, this is nowhere near the end of the season and we are fortunate that the Cowboys defensive backfield is one of the deepest units in all of football.

Participating in sports teaches us many things like teamwork, sacrifice, perseverance, and commitment. All the teams will experience adversity at some point in the season and it's the great ones that succeed in overcoming their adversity to reach their goal.

I have no doubt that this Cowboys team has the character, leadership, and unity to overcome and continue an historic and successful season. Go Cowboys!
The 1994 Erik Williams car wreck cost the Cowboys a Super Bowl...

Plankton

Reaction score
Ralph Neely breaking his leg while a number of Cowboy teammates were jumping motorcycles in 1971 was a bad one. Losing a left tackle is never easy, and they ended up bringing in two guys out of retirement - Forrest Gregg and Tony Liscio - to fill the hole. Liscio started the rest of the season, and they went on to win their first Super Bowl.

The Erik Williams injury wrecked the 1994 season for the Cowboys (especially in the title game when Larry Allen had to play RT on a badly sprained ankle), and ultimately wrecked his career as a HOF quality right tackle.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Many probably won't remember this because we went on to win the Super Bowl, but Mark Stepnowski had I think gone FA and we brought in James Donaldson from Indy at center. I recall a game against the Chiefs he was just
manhandling DTs and the holes were never so big---then he broke his leg as I recall and was done for the year. We brought in Derrick Kennard from the saints, a guard whom we made center. He was good, and I think we won the Super Bowl that year, but the line with Donaldson was probably the best in Cowboy history.
In 93 I believe it was Cornish that took over and then they moved Gesek over in the playoffs and SB. Donaldson didn't come until 94 or 95 I believe.