Worst Cowboys HC since we won a championship?

Jdenzo

Reaction score
While we’ve had one constant leading Cowboys Football since our last championship , we’ve had 6 different HC’s unable to take us back to a Super Bowl or even a championship appearance .

How would you rank them during this time frame.

Here’s my order of worst Cowboys HC during this stretch:
Campo
Switzer
Phillips
Gailey
Garrett
Parcells

Not sure how we could place anyone but Campo with the 3 straight 5-11 seasons on the bottom. And Switzer left a mess of the dynasty Jimmy built. Wade left a mess of the team Bill had built. Gailey could possibly be ranked 2nd above Garrett as he probably did as much as anyone with what he had left . Jerry even admits cut him loose too soon.

The reason I rank Garrett that high is based on his record , division titles and playoff wins which the latter two are more than the rest combined. Despite his coaching flaws and dysfunctional situation he helped steer our franchise in a better direction and has helped influence this roster in a greater position to contend.

One of the best measurement of coaching despite records is have you left the team in a better position than when you took over. There’s only 3 HC in Jerry’s era which meet that criteria. Jimmy, Bill and Jason.

The easy answer is Campo , but he had much less so work with. I have to say that Garrett squandered the most talent

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Garrett! Campo at least had a bad team strapped by cap hell. Wade Phillips was actually decent. The problem was a certain red head may have sabotaged him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Campo had the worst team in history and Garrett sucked! Anything to build this clown up. Ridiculous! Garrett’s at the bottom of the list and it’s not even close. He got 10 years and failed miserably!
You're wrong. The coach on the bottom of the list, especially if it isn't even close, doesn't win "Coach of the Year". Campo is at the bottom of the list.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Campo has no talent. Those teams were terrible. Jason Garrett wasted multiple HOF careers. He had good to great QB almost the entire run. 10 years and almost nothing to show for it.

Worst coach in team history.

Exactly, I can't hold Campo's teams against him. They were downright putrid. Plus, Jason Garrett went 3 straight 8-8 seasons with talented teams. I'm curious what Campo would've been like with decent talent.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dave Campo gets a bad rap, the team played hard under Campo with an aging team and very little talent and a ton of dead money on the cap....Campo did more with less where Garrett did less with more talent wise...

Exactly! Plus, Garrett got a lot more time than he should have received. The team never had consistent heart. Campo usually got heart at least out of the team. The talent was just bad. Especially at QB.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dave Campo gets a bad rap, the team played hard under Campo with an aging team and very little talent and a ton of dead money on the cap....Campo did more with less where Garrett did less with more talent wise...
Bad rap? I guess that will happen when you have 3 seasons in a row with a 5-11 record and unable to dig out of that hole.

Big_D

Reaction score
You're wrong. The coach on the bottom of the list, especially if it isn't even close, doesn't win "Coach of the Year". Campo is at the bottom of the list.

Another individual achievement. Meaningless crap right up there with the pro bowl and executive of the year. Ultimately lead no where at all. That’s an anomaly. And I’m sure he wins that same coach of the year with Campo’s roster! lol

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Imagine Jason Garrett with Campo's teams. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

We legit might not have won a game. It would absolutely be Cleveland Browns territory of zero and one win seasons.

The guys you listed ahead of Garrett as being worst run circles around the carrot top clown. He is the worst and it is not even close. How many great players did he ruin? Tons.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Campo couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper sack. He sucked as a HC. In way over his head.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Imagine Jason Garrett with Campo's teams. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

We legit might not have won a game. It would absolutely be Cleveland Browns territory of zero and one win seasons.

The guys you listed ahead of Garrett as being worst run circles around the carrot top clown. He is the worst and it is not even close. How many great players did he ruin? Tons.
Garrett was coach enabler I like to call him. Meaning he enabled the culture of mediocrity as acceptable.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Chan Gailey I thought was pretty good actually but Jerry wouldn't allow him to mold the team in his image. Never got a fair shake,

cowboyec

Reaction score
Not even close. You're failing to take team talent into consideration.
he won a super bowl.
the others on that list haven't.
parcells did but not here.
if you told me McCarthy during a short tenure would win a Super Bowl...I'd take it.
The fall off under Switzer had more to do with the personel dept than him.
we all know who ran the show.
Switzer and Parcells do not belong on a list of our worst head coaches.
you are way wrong.

Dreski

Reaction score
Bad rap? I guess that will happen when you have 3 seasons in a row with a 5-11 record and unable to dig out of that hole.
See I feel like him being part of the coaching staff that won us 3 Super Bowls helps his case! He might have been a small part of it, I’m sure. I was too young when they were winning, and I know a lot of the success we had came from Jimmy and how he build the team.

Garrett didn’t accomplish much before he became the head coach and wasted 9 full seasons of everyones time with little or no improvement. Obviously Jerry shares blame in that but gosh it felt like the end of a nightmare when he left lol. I felt like Jerry spent a lot of resources trying to make Garrett be a better coach, all for his final season to be 8-8. Just my honest opinion.

cern

Reaction score
it's even more incredible watching people try to deflect away from their embarrassing statements with off-topic crying and wailing. That's right, back down and crawl back under your rock... everyone knows what you said is absurd. No sense in trying to defend it.
It's only embarrassing due to your inability to comprehend things.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I can’t really blame Campo, he was put in a no win situation at a time when the Cowboys were in cap hell. Garrett hands down the worst - basically wasted talent trying to prop up a guy who was pretending to be a headcoach

basel90

Reaction score
While we’ve had one constant leading Cowboys Football since our last championship , we’ve had 6 different HC’s unable to take us back to a Super Bowl or even a championship appearance .

How would you rank them during this time frame.

Here’s my order of worst Cowboys HC during this stretch:
Campo
Switzer
Phillips
Gailey
Garrett
Parcells

Not sure how we could place anyone but Campo with the 3 straight 5-11 seasons on the bottom. And Switzer left a mess of the dynasty Jimmy built. Wade left a mess of the team Bill had built. Gailey could possibly be ranked 2nd above Garrett as he probably did as much as anyone with what he had left . Jerry even admits cut him loose too soon.

The reason I rank Garrett that high is based on his record , division titles and playoff wins which the latter two are more than the rest combined. Despite his coaching flaws and dysfunctional situation he helped steer our franchise in a better direction and has helped influence this roster in a greater position to contend.

One of the best measurement of coaching despite records is have you left the team in a better position than when you took over. There’s only 3 HC in Jerry’s era which meet that criteria. Jimmy, Bill and Jason.
Campo
Garret
Gailey
Philips
Switzer
Parcels

DJordan23

Reaction score
Campo has no talent. Those teams were terrible. Jason Garrett wasted multiple HOF careers. He had good to great QB almost the entire run. 10 years and almost nothing to show for it.

Worst coach in team history.
That's true...