Worst franchises in sports last 2 decades - where do Cowboys rank?

Gameover

Reaction score
The Dolphins haven't been to a Championship game since 1992. Haven't been to a SB since 1984. Haven't won a SB since 1973. When I was growing up they were a top 5 franchise... consider yourself lucky

DFWJC

Reaction score
20-22 years is very fair because that is approximately when the 90s team, which Jimmy built, was at its end

Since then

Nothing
Bubkus
Nada
Zippo

In the competent hands of Jerry and Stephen and Jason

These years of failure only serve to reinforce the fact that Jerry is incompetent and had no hand in building the 90s dynasty otherwise he would have been able to build another one in 22 years at some point
That's fine. I'm not defending Jerry.

But if he gets blame for hiring Garrett, he gets credit for hiring Jimmy.

I find it VERY dishonest to go all the way back that far, yet conveniently leave out three Super Bowl wins

but hey, just my opinion

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

I find it VERY dishonest to go all the way back that far, yet conveniently leave out three Super Bowl wins

but hey, just my opinion
I give him credit for hiring Jimmy but he was a different man then. He cared about winning at all cost. That's changed over the years.

Reaction score
The Cowboys aren't a bad franchise. We have lots of talented seasoned players and lots of young players with potential. Our problem is coaching: specifically handling dynamic situations. If everything goes according to plan, we go 12-4 or 13-3. One or two things go wrong and we flop to 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7. The problem is that our coaching staff cannot adapt to changing situations mid game and can't lead the team through adversity. We can Brute force our way through the regular season and look like one of the best teams in the league (again assuming everything goes accordingly to plan, but how often does that happen in football?), but you can't bully your way through the playoffs. The teams that meticulously adapt with run circles around you. With the parity in the league, our solid player base, and our bad coaching base, we work out to an average team. Good enough to beat up on the truly awful teams, but not good enough to beat teams with real guts and leadership.

visionary

Reaction score

but hey, just my opinion

Not dishonest at all

Jerry should get credit for hiring

1. Switzer, Wade, Gailey, Campo, and Garrett: incompetent, yes-men because of his ego

2. Jimmy: because he was his buddy and lucked out that jimmy turned out to be a great HC

3. Parcells: to build his stadium, not because he wanted to put the team winning above his ego

Make any excuse you want
Those are realities

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not dishonest at all

Jerry should get credit for hiring

1. Switzer, Wade, Gailey, Campo, and Garrett: incompetent, yes-men because of his ego

2. Jimmy: because he was his buddy and lucked out that jimmy turned out to be a great HC

3. Parcells: to build his stadium, not because he wanted to put the team winning above his ego

Make any excuse you want
Those are realities
Did I make an excuse?
No, I didn't

Just saying the obvious...he DID hire Jimmy and Parcells... as well as all the failures.
The team DID win 3 Super Bowls under his ownership.
This is not debatable...it's just fact.
So if he gets bashed for the fails he should credit for the successes.
If you want to ignore it, that's fine. I'm just pointing out the plain simple truth.

To only take the bad and ignore the good...in my opinion, if blatantly dishonest.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I give him credit for hiring Jimmy but he was a different man then. He cared about winning at all cost. That's changed over the years.
That could be true and is an honest assessment.

Players, coaches, and GMs should not be able to ride out their entire careers on early success.
As for owners, fans are stuck with ownership usually

visionary

Reaction score
Did I make an excuse?
No, I didn't

Just saying the obvious...he DID hire Jimmy and Parcells... as well as all the failures.
The team DID win 3 Super Bowls under his ownership.
This is not debatable...it's just fact.
So if he gets bashed for the fails he should credit for the successes.
If you want to ignore it, that's fine. I'm just pointing out the plain simple truth.

To only take the bad and ignore the good...in my opinion, if blatantly dishonest.

What is also not debatable is that under his continued leadership the team has not even reached the conf championship game in over 22 years. If his input had been instrumental in building that 90s team he would have achieved something in the last 20+ years

Ignoring that is dishonest

This is like if your spouse was faithful in the first year of marriage but has had 3 affairs in the last 2 years, I say, they're unfaithful, the spouse says,well, I was faithful in the first year

The spouse is technically correct but that statement is meaningless where the current state of the relationship is concerned and bringing it up is not intelligent

But of course, "it is correct" lol

That is essentially what you are doing
And, that is making excuses
Of course that's only my opinion

DFWJC

Reaction score
What is also not debatable is that under his continued leadership the team has not even reached the conf championship game in over 22 years. If his input had been instrumental in building that 90s team he would have achieved something in the last 20+ years

Ignoring that is dishonest

This is like if your spouse was faithful in the first year of marriage but has had 3 affairs in the last 2 years, I say, they're unfaithful, the spouse says,well, I was faithful in the first year

The spouse is technically correct but that statement is meaningless where the current state of the relationship is concerned and bringing it up is not intelligent

But if course, "it is correct" lol

That is essentially what you are doing
And, that is making excuses
Of course that's only my opinion
Don't ignore the past or the present.
I was ignoring neither--which, as you just said, is honest.
However, some are ignoring some data to fit an agenda.
That is not honest.

I DO think the more current data is, the more relevant is becomes.
So there's that.

But totally excluding what we don't want to here is another story altogether.
I say include the bad with the good

That does not excuse the bad, nor overrate the good. It just states what is honest and true.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Why do you say sports but only list football teams? You also leave out some franchises like the Commanders and Dolphins that have been worse just to put the Cowboys in the top 5

I do believe we are near the top 5 in wins for the last 8-10 years. We all expect better but that alone shows you we are more consistently competitive than 75 percent of the league.

I would take a team that is competitive every year over a franchise that sucks for a decade just to pop up and win a couple playoff games(Jaguars). After all, if I’m going to spend 16 Sunday’s a year watching a team and a fortune to see them in person, I want to know my team has a chance every Sunday and we got that with Romo and the first two years when we had Dak and Zeke on the field.

I think he's the OP is just following his own agenda...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This is just another one of those threads were someone’s frustration in the team has gotten the better of them. Reminds me of the thread a few years ago when someone claimed Romo was the most disrespected athlete in all of sports. Pretty amusing how frustration can cause some to go overboard.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Blah blah blah.

They haven’t done anything in 21 years, all under the specific and complete control of Jerry.

You are so naive (or ignorant, maybe both).

Nobody is naive because IT WAS ON LIVE TV!!!!!! The only ones that have a problem with that are the ones that will say ANYTHING mostly out of ignorance to rip on Jones and/or he Cowboys.

Asklesko

Reaction score
They are far from being one of the worst teams. They are always entertaining on and off the field. Just don't go expecting a championship.

Cowboy89

Reaction score
They're an average, middle of the road franchise. But they're not even remotely close to being pne of the worst teams over the past decade plus.

Sydla

Reaction score
Nobody is naive because IT WAS ON LIVE TV!!!!!! The only ones that have a problem with that are the ones that will say ANYTHING mostly out of ignorance to rip on Jones and/or he Cowboys.

21 years.

3 playoff wins total.

Yes, let’s praise Jerry. LOL.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
21 years.

3 playoff wins total.

Yes, let’s praise Jerry. LOL.

If you were even around in 1989 did you wet your pants every five minutes because they went 1 - 15? Did you go crying and did mommy hold you and tell you everything will be alright? Put on your big boy pants and stop your whining like a little 3 year old because things aren't going the way you want them to... News Flash - there will be many things all your life that won't go the way you want them to. Some day you'll grow out of throwing temper tantrums every time it happens.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I hate when you guys say this....as if the players themselves haven't contributed to this nonsense.

the players contibute for sure. But the guys I am talking about are the best we have had. And they have to deal with the horrid GM in Jerry and bad coaching by Garrett and Wade.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
the players contibute for sure. But the guys I am talking about are the best we have had. And they have to deal with the horrid GM in Jerry and bad coaching by Garrett and Wade.

Oh I see. Every loss and bad season had nothing at all to do with bad play, penalties, missed blocks, missed tackles, being out of position, dropped balls, bad throws, picks, fumbles, not making any stops on 3rd downs, not converting 3rd downs, not gaining any rushing yards, giving up sacks, not getting sacks, not getting picks, not recovering fumbles, injuries, suspensions, the players themselves are completely 100% blameless for not being able to carryout their assignments. It's always been 100% Jones and coaches fault. I'll bet you that most players would love to play on a team where they don't have to be accountable for their play because the owner and coaches are blamed for EVERYTHING and the players are blamed for nothing.