Worst possible draft scenario for 2nd round pick

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
We let Lee and / or Wilson go.

We draft a LB in the 2nd.

Could it work out? Sure
After LVE would they probably pull the trigger only on a guy who is worth it? yeah
do we have bigger needs? yes

I hope we don't let Lee AND Wilson go - otherwise I see LB moving up to a top need, esp if LVE or Smith gets injured.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Good players are good players... but with LVE having a whopping 4 years left on his rookie deal and Jaylon having at least 2, any LB we add is going to be absolutely buried. He'd be a 25% player at Sam tops while those two studs remain every down players.

I'm a major BPA guy, but short of Devin White falling, there's no way I go LB in round two.

Sams are cheap and easy to find - you don't necessarily need the athleticism to cover that a starting Mike or Will demands (although as we saw with Vernon Davis roasting Damien Wilson, coverage is always a good skill to have), so you can get any 4.7 dude who shows a little instincts. Pick a 3rd day guy your scouts like and roll with him.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score

Could it work out? Sure
After LVE would they probably pull the trigger only on a guy who is worth it? yeah

I hope we don't let Lee AND Wilson go - otherwise I see LB moving up to a top need, esp if LVE or Smith gets injured.

Disagree we can let both those guys walk and still look into day 3 for a LB, or find another guy in FA.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
The Sam LB position played on average around 25 snaps per game... so why would it be a huge emphasis/ spot we spend a bunch of money on?
Say Lee and Wilson are gone.

Who is starting at SAM? Who is backing up Smith and LVE if one or both gets injured?

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score

Who is starting at SAM? Who is backing up Smith and LVE if one or both gets injured?

We have Joe Thomas, and Covington which I heard many are high on. They will definitely address the position whether it's in FA or the draft, but I do not expect a high resource to address it.

The Realist

Reaction score
You act like they haven’t anticipated the day Lee and Wilson would be gone.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Joe Thomas will still be around. But yes, that does mean a modest FA or draft pick might still be required.

But the SAM position does not consume a bunch of snaps so there shouldn't be a ton of urgency.

I don't care if they lose both Lee and Wilson and don't do anything in free agency, an off the ball strongside LB would be a huge waste of the 58th draft pick.

Especially in this draft. It is a very bad LB draft.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Could it work out? Sure

Wow under overreaction in the dictionary it should have this post as a picture. 2nd round pick LBer? lol

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
You act like they haven’t anticipated the day Lee and Wilson would be gone.

Honestly this draft is loaded w/ chase LBers...

I'm more worried Lee is gonna steal snaps from our best defensive players....in Jaylon and LVE:rolleyes:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Honestly this draft is loaded w/ chase LBers...

I disagree. I would say less than five go in the top 100. We are talking true run-cover-and-chase guys, not pass rushers or stack LBers.

Mr_437

Reaction score
1. Damien Wilson would be a cheap re-sign.
2. Chris Covington is cheaper and was drafted for this time, 6'2 245, c'mon now that's a SAM.
3. Didn't see many big 4-3 LBs in this draft, but you have Tre Watson and Blake Cashman, these are Big 10 LBs...4th-6th round types.
4. March-Lillard will be a vet minimum signing also.
5. FA is stacked with backup type LBs...Kevin Pierre Louis played for SEA look for those ties.

Anyways, no need to worry about a 12 snap a game position, too much.

rambo2

Reaction score
I doubt that they draft a linebacker at 58 with the outstanding depth at the dtackle, wide receiver, running back, and tight end positions. I really think that there will be an outstanding player that they like will fall to them because of the depth in the draft and it could surprise some people who that pick will be. I'm a Deebo Samuel guy all the way and then you look at guys like Jerry Tillery, K. Saunders, Andy Isabella, or a surprising running back like Darrell Henderson, or one of the tight ends.

Verdammung

Reaction score
I highly doubt they draft LB at 58. They did hit LB two years in a row in the 4th with Hitchens and Wilson.

MaaS

Reaction score
Drafting a LB at 58 doesn't make sense unless it's an overwhelming BPA scenario. With the NFL becoming so pass heavy, 4-3 defenses are essentially 4-2-5 defenses. The 3rd corner is more of a starter than the 3rd linebacker. Seems odd to draft a guy in the 2nd knowing he won't play much for the next 8 years unless there's an injury.