Worst Team Name Ever: New Orleans Pelicans

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
012513_landing_tab_logos_info.png

I don't mind the name and I think the logos look pretty cool.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
They could've done better. I'm just glad they didn't go with another stupid singular name like 'Heat' or 'Jazz'. Those sound really awful.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There have been some down right horrible names for teams down through the years. Do yourself a favor and don't go back through team names from the 20s and 30s.

There are a few that I have hated over the years.

Las Vegas 51s? PCL Baseball (Your either in the Sr. League or you don't exist)

Leghigh Valley Iron Pigs? IL Baseball (your a pig, it's self explanatory)

Nashville Sounds? PCL Baseball (Enough with the Music already, we know about the Grand old Opry)

Seattle SuperSonics? NBA Basketball (What can I say, I hear SuperSonic and I see Jack Sikma)

Albuquerque Isotops? PCL Baseball (Just stupid. Los Alamos is like 100 miles away. You couldn't do better then that? Now, the Dukes, that was a great name)

Charlotte Crossovers? ABA Basketball (Are we talking Gender here or what?)

Columbus Life? ABA Basketball (There is a Federal Pen in Columbus. Coincidence? I think not.)

Dallas Burn? MLS Soccer (Just the entire MLS is screwy with team names but Dallas, you could have done much, much better. I mean COME ON MAN!)

Florida Thundercats? ABA Basketball (This was like a cartoon back in the 80s right? Not even a good one.)

However, I believe the worst (at least for me) is the Halifax Rainmen of the PBL Basketball League. I mean seriously, your either a big Dustin Hoffman fan or Tom Cruise. Either way, it can't be good. Your gonna name yourself after Raymond Babbitt. Definitely, definitely not a good name. Definitely not good.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
bigdnlaca;4983002 said:
They probably will have P-cans as a nickname.

If they do, it will likely be a team from either Nevada or Southern Cal. Perfect team name for anybody who has to take I-15 on a Sunday afternoon from Vegas to L.A. Talk about not much except an endless line of cars and road construction. You will need a P-can or two after that.

:laugh2:

Reaction score
Albuquerque Isotops? PCL Baseball (Just stupid. Los Alamos is like 100 miles away. You couldn't do better then that? Now, the Dukes, that was a great name)

Oh man. This one angers me to this day! I grew up watching the Dukes in Albuquerque and I moved to Texas in 1998. a couple years later my Dukes are gone, replaced by a team named after The Simpsons. So ridiculous.

MC KAos

Reaction score
its not a team nickname per se, but i hate when people say "irish nation" when talking about the ND fans, i mean, "irish nation" is...errr....Ireland

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Idgit;4981512 said:
Best-worst team name ever still goes to the Butte Pirates in my book. But, yeah, Pelicans is not good.

Worst professional name would have to be the Kissimmee Astros changed to the Osceola Astros, a minor league team in the 80s

hsfolk

Reaction score
NO said at the press conference that the acceptable term for the team will be Pels

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Kristen82;4981135 said:
If they were really wanting a creature indigenous to Louisiana as the team's mascot, why not go with "Inbred Alcoholics"?

Already taken by a school in West Virginia.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
punchnjudy;4983434 said:
Already taken by a school in West Virginia.

While I have lived in OH, VA and NC, .. most of my life I have lived here in WV, .. and I've never heard of that school.

Normally, people of your age group are well-read enough to debunk that false stereotype on their own, but I guess schooling has not worked out that well for all.

Good luck with that.

kmp77

Reaction score
This is one of the dumbest designs I've ever seen....

1213_logo2_FBthumb.jpg