Would a good draft make you forget about the lack of free agent signings?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
No. There are more holes than draft picks and if they follow their usual drafting strategy of taking best player available instead of best player that fills a position of need, it stands to reason that they are going to go into the season with a lot of question marks and areas of need.
Also they are going to be picking guys are hoping these rookies can make the transition out of college to the pro level. That doesn't always happen immediately. Just look at Mazi Smith.

Havic

Reaction score
Only by hitting on every single pick that includes qb, dt, lb,

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
see as we did nothing so far to fill some of the players we loss, this may be our only help right now. Hopefully we do some trades and try to get some guys in the top 100 at least they should be somewhat ready to give you some help asap. Around this league things happen, there have been players start from wherever they were picked at in the draft. Doesn't mean you want that to happen
We’re banking on the draft which is a real gamble with the number of holes we have. It’s better to have an experienced free agent filling some of those holes, allowing the rookies to be eased in slowly. However, we may have to start several rookies.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We’re banking on the draft which is a real gamble with the number of holes we have. It’s better to have an experienced free agent filling some of those holes, allowing the rookies to be eased in slowly. However, we may have to start several rookies.
totally agree, which brings me to a thought I just had, we CAN"T go with these project players this year i'm sorry, guys from small schools/ or mainly a guy that played one position in college and you want him to learn a new one

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
totally agree, which brings me to a thought I just had, we CAN"T go with these project players this year i'm sorry, guys from small schools/ or mainly a guy that played one position in college and you want him to learn a new one
Appears we’re going to have to go with several unknown projects. With Hankins possibly moving on the Cowboys may have to start Mazi next season who was a liability as a rookie and saw limited snaps.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No. The only real question is are they really this awful at team building and cap management or are they at least attempting to clear out the cap for the next coach. History tells us, they are just completely clueless.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
No! Here is a big issue for me. Last years draft was not good at all and had no impact. I’m more worried we have 2 of those in a row and then the “development” side is gone and we have big holes. Also, Being honest, I don’t trust anyone here to tell me we had a good draft. Last year many here were saying we hit big on all these picks. The just is still out but you would need this years draft and last years to fill major needs and I don’t see it happening. I’d take a starting OL and RB though

bewp7

Reaction score
would make it worse

if they have a great rookie class and know they could be even better with a good free agent class

i want to see a super bowl

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We draft good, we can always fill empty spots with free agents, what are your thoughts
it will be tough. one thing is for sure. we have to hit on first three picks. no more Mazi, Hill, Schoonmaker, Sam Williams, Kelvin Joseph, McGovern. Just to name a few.

chances of hitting in 5th and below are really low, so don't hold your breath.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No, it will just make their lack of activity in FA all that more frustrating to me.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The draft is for your future. It's tough to get rookies who can just jump into the NFL ready to play.... certainly not something you should be banking your season on.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
So you are asking if the Cowboys not just draft great, but each pick is a starter or makes immediate impact on the team success. That's asking a lot for rookies. You are whistling past the graveyard if you think any FO can do just that, and even less likely for the dumbfounded duo. You may get lucky and get two, but that still will not make up for acquiring any immediate help from FA.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
This team could draft 6 starters....and they are still screwed....

There is not another roster right now that has as many question marks as we do....except for Arizona....and they have draft capital.

kevm3

Reaction score
no, what is the objective? To actually try to win a superbowl or just be happy a draft pick isn't playing in the complete dumps? This team got smashed by a team slightly above .500 last year in the playoffs and this year we've already lost a ton of talent for zero compensation. On paper we are a worse team. Unless Zimmer pulls off a miracle and these rookies have the most unbelievable 2nd year imaginable, this is a worse team than last year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We draft good, we can always fill empty spots with free agents, what are your thoughts
No. A good GM should, have a good draft and a good free agency.

Only thing to possible make up for a poor free agency at this point is to successful trades like last year.

GM Jeruh is infatuated with his future comp picks and it looks like we will have 3 in the 5th, so start trading away next years 5th, 6th and 7th round picks and bring in some vets to fill holes.

However, we still do not have the cap space to do so.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No ...... but it has nothing to do with the lack of Free Agent signings.

Its the fact that Jerry and company do not know what they are doing, yet Jerry is cocky enough to say we are going "All In" all the while having no intention of actually going all in.

The Front Office and Jerry could care less about their fan base ......... we are only dollars and cents to them ........ they have no desire to actually do things to win football games ...... they just want to be talked about and be relevant in the news.

Jerry has surrounded himself with yes men ......... Will McClay being at the top of the butt kissing list.

I just hope I live long enough to see better times ........ maybe one of Jerry's grand-kids will know what they are doing.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No ...... but it has nothing to do with the lack of Free Agent signings.

Its the fact that Jerry and company do not know what they are doing, yet Jerry is cocky enough to say we are going "All In" all the while having no intention of actually going all in.

The Front Office and Jerry could care less about their fan base ......... we are only dollars and cents to them ........ they have no desire to actually do things to win football games ...... they just want to be talked about and be relevant in the news.

Jerry has surrounded himself with yes men ......... Will McClay being at the top of the butt kissing list.

I just hope I live long enough to see better times ........ maybe one of Jerry's grand-kids will know what they are doing.
I think GM Jethro is going to sign as many 1 year contracts as he can. This is his way of saying we are all in this year.