Would Cowboys consider taking Penix or Nix in 1st round?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
While both were initially expected to go early in 2nd round there has been recently some rumors they could go late in 1st round if you have that need.

There was a write up this week in local papers how the Cowboys could trade down to gain an extra pick in 2nd or 3rd round allowing them to reach later in 1st round if you believed either of these QB’s were potential starters . They aren’t likely to be there later in 2nd round.

Teams often stretch and mortgage much to draft what they hope is their next franchise QB. And if we are considering or looking to move on from Prescott this would seem like a good move to make .

Why wait until next years draft when there is some good prospects which could be there for us in this draft. This all pends of course if we are truly prepared to move on.

I’m not sure I wouldn’t put these two QB’s close to same category as the top 4 expected to be drafted in 1st round.

Those top 3 QB’s all going to bad teams could be more of a rebuild while here they’d get at least one season behind Prescott taking over more of a playoff caliber team which I’d argue sets them more up for success.

I thought it was an interesting article while not allowed to directly post or link here.

Creeper

Reaction score
Loved Penix until that last game he played against Michigan. All season long he looked his accuracy was fantastic, as were his reads. But against Michigan, his decisions looked bad and his throws were off target. I expected him to play much better than he did and it left me with doubts about him in the NFL, at least to start his career. NFL scouts know a lot more than me but we need a QB who will be better than Dak, not another Dak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Loved Penix until that last game he played against Michigan. All season long he looked his accuracy was fantastic, as were his reads. But against Michigan, his decisions looked bad and his throws were off target. I expected him to play much better than he did and it left me with doubts about him in the NFL, at least to start his career. NFL scouts know a lot more than me but we need a QB who will be better than Dak, not another Dak.
I prefer Nix but both are good prospects.

starfan1

Reaction score
Not sure about Nix but I thought I saw the other day pennix has similar issues as our starter good athlete slow recognition probably a bit more accurate with ball but Dak isn’t terrible

I just don’t see it going that way . I see center or tackle as our first pick I’d love to trade down but you need a partner

rambo2

Reaction score
While both were initially expected to go early in 2nd round there has been recently some rumors they could go late in 1st round if you have that need.

There was a write up this week in local papers how the Cowboys could trade down to gain an extra pick in 2nd or 3rd round allowing them to reach later in 1st round if you believed either of these QB’s were potential starters . They aren’t likely to be there later in 2nd round.

Teams often stretch and mortgage much to draft what they hope is their next franchise QB. And if we are considering or looking to move on from Prescott this would seem like a good move to make .

Why wait until next years draft when there is some good prospects which could be there for us in this draft. This all pends of course if we are truly prepared to move on.

I’m not sure I wouldn’t put these two QB’s close to same category as the top 4 expected to be drafted in 1st round.

Those top 3 QB’s all going to bad teams could be more of a rebuild while here they’d get at least one season behind Prescott taking over more of a playoff caliber team which I’d argue sets them more up for success.

I thought it was an interesting article while not allowed to directly post or link here.
No, not when they can get an outstanding center, lineman, or dtackle. They can also trade back and get an additional top 100 player.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score

Not sure about Nix, but I've seen Penix go as high as 13 to the Raiders. Love the kids skill set and toughness. I would absolutely bring him on board if given the opportunity.

starfan1

Reaction score
No, not when they can get an outstanding center, lineman, or dtackle. They can also trade back and get an additional top 100 player.
With sweats recent law run in I would love a trade back and he fall in our laps . I think your right it will be center or LT out of the gate even if we trade back

Motorola

Reaction score

If that were to happen, it would set up an interesting- training camp.
1st round rookie pick (Penix or Nix) competing with Rush and Lance for QB2.

Jarntt

Reaction score
It all depends on how they have them rated and if they are available. I hope their reason for not taking a QB (if they don't) isn't because they don't want to admit a mistake with Lance.
Please note: I'm simply stating I hope the reason is a football reason and not that they should or shouldn't and this has nothing to do with Dak or even Lance. I'm just saying I hope it's a decision based on what's best going forward, not backwards

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
No -- I doubt the Cowboys will take a QB in round 1 in the upcoming draft. They are far more likely to go with an OT, or DT this year. I think they'll then decide to take either an LB or RB in round 2. That's what seems to be the wisest route to take to me. I really hope for that to be the case. Of course, much depends upon how the other teams decide to make their decisions, as well. OT, LB, RB and DT are likely their needs in that order. A QB might be taken in the middle rounds or later if they decide to go that route, imho.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

that would defintley solidify the Jones' as idiots without a doubt. trade for Lance, give up a 4th. and then draft a QB in first round. WHY? not saying the move of drafting a questionable QB in round one is bad, but the two moves together would make zero sense. idiots

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is always an extremely weak possibility Jerry Jones will draft a quarterback in an early round. Anything is possible. Jones is a gambler.

History has proven that yearly possibility is close to zero. The possibility could have nudged up a percentage point or two if not for the acquisition of Trey Lance. Lance is Jones current gamble in a post-Dak Prescott era. The trade effectively killed any first or second day quarterback selections.

The draft's third day holds the highest probability of Jones drafting a quarterback this month. Again, not a strong possibility but a better one than seeing it come to fruition on Thursday or Friday next week.