Would Garrett Have Kicked FG Before Half?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know the EPIC fourth down pass to Foles right before half was the play of the game, but I am curious as to how many on this board think Garrett would have sent out the FG unit instead.

Serious question................I am 99.9% positive Garrett would have kicked the FG based on his past history

100 % YES!!!

CPanther95

Reaction score
We were top 10 in attempts last season, but nobody cares. It's kind of awesome in a way, and kind of depressing how, when a group wants consensus, it'll try to bully one if it can't get one rationally.

It reminds me of a thread we had a couple years back when everybody was slamming the staff for it's challenge success rate, thinking we were one of the worst teams in the league at getting challenges right, when it turned out we were actually the best in the league at it, and I pointed that out only to get another two pages of people complaining about our challenge success rate.

You strike me as a guy that cringes everytime you hear:

... "we'll have to agree to disagree
or
... "I have my truth, you have your truth"

If so, hats off to ya.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You strike me as a guy that cringes everytime you hear:

... "we'll have to agree to disagree
or
... "I have my truth, you have your truth"

If so, hats off to ya.

I’m more of a “I have my truth, you have your error” kind of guy, yeah. But what’s the point of a discussion if we don’t all end up battered and bloodied? It’s all for fun, anyway.

SMASHMOUTH9473

Reaction score
Garrett doesn't have the brain or balls to make such decision. It's not a part of his process. Kudos to the Philly coach for laying it all on the line to keep his team in the game. His process beat a icon at his own game. Just stating the obvious.

Wishbone82

Omaha! Omaha!
Reaction score
Garret late 2014, maybe not. He got pretty aggressive towards the end of the season/postseason. He must of felt he was playing with house money at that point. Every other time before and after that, yes.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
We all know the EPIC fourth down pass to Foles right before half was the play of the game, but I am curious as to how many on this board think Garrett would have sent out the FG unit instead.

Serious question................I am 99.9% positive Garrett would have kicked the FG based on his past history
I would have too and punted in 4th

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
you guys must have forgotten the job saving playbook he broke out when he sabotaged Wade... he's not scared.. lmao

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
No, he wouldn’t have kicked a field goal. 4th & 1 is shotgun pass to Terrance Williams territory.

rpntex

Reaction score
Garret late 2014, maybe not. He got pretty aggressive towards the end of the season/postseason. He must of felt he was playing with house money at that point. Every other time before and after that, yes.

Agreed. I’m fairly certain he would have kicked here, as would 30 other coaches in the NFL. However, it’s not so cut and dried as many posters here want to think. I don’t have the exact situations here, but I recall at least 3 situations in 2017 where he attempted to convert a 4th down in his own territory - one was with a lead.

Conventional wisdom says to kick there, so I can’t blame any coach for that decision. At that point in the game, take the sure thing.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
I’d bet that most HC’s would’ve kicked the FG in that situation — not just Garrett.

But it was definitely a ballzy call. Because if it DIDN’T work, and Philly woulda gone on to lose by 3pts or less, Pederson would now be a laughing stock.

I disagree. FGs are same as losing vs Brady in the Super Bowl. It was the right move with the Pat's getting the ball after the half

Reaction score
I’d bet that most HC’s would’ve kicked the FG in that situation — not just Garrett.

But it was definitely a ballzy call. Because if it DIDN’T work, and Philly woulda gone on to lose by 3pts or less, Pederson would now be a laughing stock.

Thats what im thinking!!

waving monkey

Reaction score
I would have taken the field goal. It's the percentages. Nothing wrong with that.
If Red had called the gutsy play we're talkin about and failed you guys would be
hammering him like crazy.
It was beautiful call on Pederson part but let's be real here. I've read countless critques
here about" taken the points" [field goal]. It's a mantra

Chappy

Reaction score

Then he would of iced his own kicker as usual while continuing to clap as it was wide and No good......

We have a real risk taker in Garrett coaching us for all the wrong reasons sadly!

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I think the only other HC in the NFL to go for the TD in that moment would have been Tomlin (maybe).
Nice try. This is about the Dallas Cowboys head coach. Not Jacksonville, Minnesota or anyone else. Since you know the answer is yes you had to dodge. Very cute

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
We were top 10 in attempts last season, but nobody cares. It's kind of awesome in a way, and kind of depressing how, when a group wants consensus, it'll try to bully one if it can't get one rationally.

It reminds me of a thread we had a couple years back when everybody was slamming the staff for it's challenge success rate, thinking we were one of the worst teams in the league at getting challenges right, when it turned out we were actually the best in the league at it, and I pointed that out only to get another two pages of people complaining about our challenge success rate.
It’s not about attempts genius, it’s about WHEN you do it. Where are those numbers at? You’re Just like Coach Coward.