Would Kenyon Coleman make a good backup NT?

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
I think he is one of the strongest players on the team, earning the name "Strong Dawg". He holds his ground well. Doesn't provide much as a pass rusher, yet he is never pushed off the ball. As a back-up to spell Fergi, I think I would try Coleman. JMO

tunahelper

Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
I think he is one of the strongest players on the team, earning the name "Strong Dawg". He holds his ground well. Doesn't provide much as a pass rusher, yet he is never pushed off the ball. As a back-up to spell Fergi, I think I would try Coleman. JMO

He is not thick enough in the legs.
I dont thick he could hold up under the double teams of the center/guards.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
tunahelper said:
He is not thick enough in the legs.
I dont thick he could hold up under the double teams of the center/guards.
I thought he had a very thick lower body. I recall seeing some pics off him that members took during the Seahawks game, and the coming word was he had a very powerful build?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dough Boy said:
Not a bad thought...

He's strong, but he's listed at 6-5 295. Not sure he's big enuff to hold down the nose. Glover was let go, for not being able to fit the scheme and I believe they had the same measurables.

However, it could explain why he's still on the roster. In a pinch, maybe he can move inside.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Not a bad thought...

He's strong, but he's listed at 6-5 295. Not sure he's big enuff to hold down the nose. Glover was let go, for not being able to fit the scheme and I believe they had the same measurables.

However, it could explain why he's still on the roster. In a pinch, maybe he can move inside.
I agree, in a pinch but not a long term solution. I just wonder, if we could get 15 snaps a game for him behind Fergi. If you watch him play, rarely is he pushed back. I don't think many centers can handle him 1 on 1.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
I think Ratliff is the guy BP has pegged as the 3rd NT if needed right? 6-4, 305... Fergie's 6-3, 310

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
I think Ratliff is the guy BP has pegged as the 3rd NT if needed right? 6-4, 305... Fergie's 6-3, 310
Ratliff is the guy BP pegged. Ratliff and Fergi have different body types. Fergi is more stout. I have no problems with J-Rat, I'm just thinking outside the box. In my mind, Coleman offers little at DE, meaning he is not a playmaker. Maybe at NT, his ability to push the Center into the QB, makes him more of a playmaker. JMO

tunahelper

Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
I thought he had a very thick lower body. I recall seeing some pics off him that members took during the Seahawks game, and the coming word was he had a very powerful build?

Top heavy is not the look for a guy.
Look at him in shorts and he resembles a bird!

:laugh2:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't know how viable this is but you could move Canty or Spears inside and use Hatcher, Ratliff and Coleman on the outside.

Obviously we need a proven NT or at least someone we know can man the position if we can't even name the backup. We don't even have 'the player' at backup NT.

Has Canty or Spears played NT this or last season?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Coleman is on the roster because he provides valuable depth at the DE for a team that isn't great on the line. He is being shopped, there is no doubt.

He has no pass rush skill, but Coleman is actually a very capable run plugger at DE. But he is too light to play DT.

YoungBuck

Reaction score
He's too tall. The NT has to be around 6ft - 6'3 at the tallest. They have to have a low center of gravity so they're not pushed around. He's also not heavy enough. he should be closer to 300.

Ratliff is the 3rd guy. Coleman is wasted roster space that could have gone to someone that cound contribute more to this team.