Would someone in the media please ask Garrett why he refuses to use rub, pick, etc. routes?

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Why he refuses to use the rub routes, pick plays, etc. that the teams that we face do to get their WR's open? Dez is an amazing talent but he is wasted by having to go man to man with the other teams best guys. There is no creativity in getting him open....NONE!

Someone needs to ask this at the daily press conference!!! At least he will have to answer it and may even take some of it to heart. I wish we could nominate a zoner to be at those press events. We would ask much better questions. They won't ask this but $500 says they ask something about the hit on Locket.

Sydla

Reaction score
Another question I'd like to ask is why they didn't use Dez in the slot more? Aikman pointed it out quite early that Sherman went wherever Dez went unless Dez lined up inside. Then it was the nickle back or safety.

I don't know it's pride or whatnot, but that's an adjustment that could have been made.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Another question I'd like to ask is why they didn't use Dez in the slot more? Aikman pointed it out quite early that Sherman went wherever Dez went unless Dez lined up inside. Then it was the nickle back or safety.

I don't know it's pride or whatnot, but that's an adjustment that could have been made.

That's what frustrates me the most about this coaching staff....their unwillingness to change, Try something new and stop running the same predictable plays over and over. For a coach who is called a genius just because he comes from NFL pedigree and went to an ivy league school, he sure is below average in developing effective strategies/game plans.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Are media doesn't hold him accountable at all.

He gets a pass from them every week.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I am all for movement and getting my best players in the best position possible to make plays.

But here's the unfortunate answer starting with a question.

If Dez goes into the slot, then what does Beasley do since he's basically rendered useless on the outside?

Furthermore, it's increasingly difficult to get Witten his space without Dez on the outside or going deep. Another player who becomes less effective.

Typically a viable solution, since the o-line is doing a good job in pass protection, is to utilize some crossing routes or bunch routes that extend outwards and upwards.

Problem is, Cassel has a noodle arm but can get to the intermediate level.

Other problem is these types of plays become new plays and take weeks to get a rhythm going.

Cassel also missed Witten on one of these routes yesterday, so how well is he recognizing the open man in this type of route? Even at the intermediate level.

Our offense is time based and the QB we built it around is not playing.

Cassel's release is nothing in comparison.

I do not think it is Linehan, I think it's that our backups have severe limitations in their games.

Yes, Romo does not grow on trees and he's going to make coaches look better or worse whether he's in or not. But Weeden and Cassel have big time limitations.

Even McFadden has talent and can see the holes. But after 10-15 carries you can see that he's not running at the same speed or ambition.

We have key roles on offense being played by players with huge limitations. QB and RB.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Because Eatman and Clarence are too busy worshiping him... And the latter spent the whole tenure of Phillips bashing him as HC, while propping up Garrett. These media guys don't want to make themselves look stupid by saying they were idiots for supporting Garrett.