Would this strategy work to keep Dan Quinn?

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
If and when Quinn is ready to be an HC again, no pile of money is going to prevent it from happening.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
There are not a lot of great HC candidates out there but there is the usual amount of HC openings.

I would be shocked if Quinn doesn't take a job.

My guess is either Joe Whitt, Jr. or Al Harris, whoever Quinn doesn't take with him as his new DC, will be the Cowboys' next Defensive Coordinator.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Here's his response about coaching offers after Lions game......... It sure sounds to me like he could be ready to consider any offer strongly but I'm not sure he will get one this cycle.
** It appears there will only be 4/5 vacancies
** most have franchise QBs, meaning they are more than likely going with an offensive-minded candidate
** Just me, but I don't get the impression he's as hot of a candidate as previous years
** If I'm not mistaken, his contract expires in 2025. In other words, his contract expires the same year as MM.

• For coaching offers, important to compartmentalize. I would be ready to discuss it at moment's notice if it came. Quite frankly, the guys here are why I did return, so I'm not going to let it go. We had unfinished business in my mind.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
There are not a lot of great HC candidates out there but there is the usual amount of HC openings.

I would be shocked if Quinn doesn't take a job.

My guess is either Joe Whitt, Jr. or Al Harris, whoever Quinn doesn't take with him as his new DC, will be the Cowboys' next Defensive Coordinator.
I agree with this 100%..........2 teams to keep an eye on
Chargers ......... they can keep KM and his offensive staff and Quinn overhaul the defense.
Commanders......they can keep Bienimmy ( who I hear they like a lot) and turn the D over to Quinn. Not to mention he goes to a divisional rival. Also, they have a ton of $$$ invested in their DLine ( Quinn's coaching position once upon a time )

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
If Quinn wants to stay, he'll stay. Just depends on whether he wants an HC job or is content with being the DC.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Already makes more than most headcoaches LO. L.

Quinn will be a charger if Mike stays here

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
I'm going to wait until after this season plays out before I judge his undersized, but fast, defensive philosophy. We're lucky not that many teams still play smash mouth football.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Depends on which teams come a calling for him. Carolina? No chance in you know what he, or anybody with half a brain would want part of that team. Atlanta? Of course, no. Others....will see at the end of the year

CCBoy

Reaction score
It’s the best coaching problem to have. I’m hoping we win a SB and all our assistant coaches are coveted by other teams. I hope that’s Jerry’s biggest problem this off-season. Doesn’t mean I want them all to leave but winning has some natural consequences we haven’t experienced in far too long.

Losing assistant coaches means your team is winning so much that other teams want to get some of that magic. The last time we had this much interest in our assistants was in the 90s SB era and a little with Parcells’ coaches.
This view probably dominates with McCarthy and his staff...

Mike McCarthy kept Cowboys in the mix. Now Dallas controls its path to No. 2 seed

fivetwos

Reaction score
Either we win the SB or half of you will want him gone during the final loss anyway.

In the past I’ve made reference to his next shot almost definitely being his last, and he shouldn’t leave a place he is comfortable with for a HC spot with a dead-end franchise with no QB and be gone in two years.

This year I can’t make those arguments. The Charger job is attractive, as is New England if they are in line to grab a top QB in the draft.

Washington? He knows better than that.

I’ve suspected all along that he wants the Seattle job. If that opens up he is as good as gone.

But either way we had our window with him and we need to finish the job.

exciter

Reaction score
What if Jerry applied this strategy to keep Quinn as our OC:

Offer him such a big pile of money that he can't say "no."
Quinn is already one of the league’s highest paid coordinators. Even then, a coordinator shouldn’t be paid anywhere near what a bottom end head coach is receiving and it’s been speculated McCarthy is in lower 1/3rd… most likely to change in offseason. Regardless exactly how hard should it be to find a replacement that can run a 43 under with the current players? Hell, McCarthy might even want to trend towards a 34 as that’s been his preference in the past and would fit many of our current players!

diamonddelts

Reaction score
N.F.L. loves nepotism and .500 retread coaches. DQ will be a great fit as HC somewhere using those guidelines.

Havic

Reaction score
Pay him like a head coach without the responsibilities of one. Sounds like a win win to me.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Pay him like a head coach without the responsibilities of one. Sounds like a win win to me.
It doesn't affect the salary cap. If Jones has the money and wants to keep him around, why not? He could be sworn to secrecy or you could just make sure McCarthy is paid something like 5 percent more. If Jones can afford to do that, why wouldn't he?