Would you bring Schultz back on a 1-year deal?

Landryhat73

Reaction score
Wouldn’t do a one year deal - thinking 4 year $30 with a lot of outs for Dallas. Make the $ look high but it really isn’t. I know the draft is loaded with TEs but Schultz is a top ten TE and if he doesn’t cost much take advantage of the market.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lol I’m not a fan of Schultz but this is a low ball offer.
And quite silly.

I seriously don't get it. Why the hate for Schultz on this site? It's just frickin' weird.

While 15 was way too high, 3 is just stupid. Schultz is a very good TE, and will get 7-9 mil/season all day.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not resigning Schultz does not impede the Cowboys from drafting the BPA on the board at pick 26.
No matter the number of quality TEs are available in the first round...I would select RB Robinson, or any of the top 4 CBs that might still be available (Witherspoon and Gonzalez are long gone, but Porter Jr. and Banks could still be on the board for Dallas).
The gist of my comment about Schultz - he's progressed to be a good TE in his 5 seasons in Dallas - but the Cowboys should roll with the three younger guys on the roster that showed promise last season + see what prospects are available in later rounds (4 and below).
Heading into day 4 of FA ---Schuitz has not struck a deal yet; his asking price too high?
Why wouldn't you take a DT? That's the biggest need on our team.

Motorola

Reaction score
Why wouldn't you take a DT? That's the biggest need on our team.
Carter (Georgia), Kancey (Pitt), Wilson DE/DT (Texas Tech), Murphy DE/DT (Clemson), most likely will be picked by the early 20s; but that fleaves the probability that Smith (Michigan), Ika (Baylor), and Breese (Clemson) are there when the Cowboys go on the clock.
I've seen a couple of mocks that had Ika being the Dallas pick at 26.
But is that what DC Quinn prioritizes on his squad - the very big DT to anchor the line...or if one of the four top-rated corners slides down...is that his preference?
I'd go with a DT.
But it Jones, Jones, and McClay see that Joey Porter Jr. or Bijan Robinson are still on the board...

kskboys

Reaction score
Carter (Georgia), Kancey (Pitt), Wilson DE/DT (Texas Tech), Murphy DE/DT (Clemson), most likely will be picked by the early 20s; but that fleaves the probability that Smith (Michigan), Ika (Baylor), and Breese (Clemson) are there when the Cowboys go on the clock.
I've seen a couple of mocks that had Ika being the Dallas pick at 26.
But is that what DC Quinn prioritizes on his squad - the very big DT to anchor the line...or if one of the four top-rated corners slides down...is that his preference?
I'd go with a DT.
But it Jones, Jones, and McClay see that Joey Porter Jr. or Bijan Robinson are still on the board...
We just traded for Gilmore. Drafting a CB in the first makes no sense. I mean, that's what Jerry subscribes to, maybe you're a Jerry fan?

Motorola

Reaction score
We just traded for Gilmore. Drafting a CB in the first makes no sense. I mean, that's what Jerry subscribes to, maybe you're a Jerry fan?
I was watching and cheering for the Cowboys way before Jones bought the team.
I don't listen to his radio show, watch his interviews, press conferences, etc. ---at all.

I stated in my previous post that I would take the best DT guy available with the 26th pick.
But everyone here at CZ - nor the Cowboys FO -don't know what's going to happen outside of where the top two QBs are going.
BPA or BPAPN; set in stone on the player they want (trade up) - or that cliche "let the draft fall to you".
What DT would you want for Dallas that has the possibility of being there at 26?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The longer this drags on the more likely it is that Schultz comes back here. Whether the fans like it or not, he is finding out that the market is only about what he made on the tag last year.

If it's just for one more season and he wants to return, I say why not??

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
OK.......but what about his protection and blocking assignments. I remember reading where one ex GM and coach say TE is the hardest offensive position to master after QB. I never thought about it until they mention how it has protection and blocking responsibility for all offensive positions. In other words, he has to know Oline, RB, and WRs positions also. As they put it, this is why a number of teams use a receiving and blocking TE.

No questions about his receiving skills though
Yeah, TE has a big learning curve.

And Ferguson, as a rookie, was *already* comparable to Schulz. We should only expect Ferguson to get better.

Schultz was considered a horrible blocker for years. Noticeably bad. Is Ferguson noticeably bad? I'm sure he wasn't perfect, but I haven't heard lots of complaints about *any* aspect of his game.

PFF had Ferguson as within a point or two of Schultz. Again, as a rookie. They're not just basing that on receiving, that's the whole package.

There's lots that goes into being a TE. By all apparent measures, Ferguson looks good. If you've got a particular measure showing at some of them, I'm all ears. But I just see a rookie TE who is already comparable to a veteran we paid 7 figures for.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yeah, TE has a big learning curve.

And Ferguson, as a rookie, was *already* comparable to Schulz. We should only expect Ferguson to get better.

Schultz was considered a horrible blocker for years. Noticeably bad. Is Ferguson noticeably bad? I'm sure he wasn't perfect, but I haven't heard lots of complaints about *any* aspect of his game.

PFF had Ferguson as within a point or two of Schultz. Again, as a rookie. They're not just basing that on receiving, that's the whole package.

There's lots that goes into being a TE. By all apparent measures, Ferguson looks good. If you've got a particular measure showing at some of them, I'm all ears. But I just see a rookie TE who is already comparable to a veteran we paid 7 figures for.
Well, look at it this way........we have shown no interest in signing a free vet and there were a few good ones out there. That tells me they have penciled Ferg as the starter or targeting one in the draft with a high pick.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Well, look at it this way........we have shown no interest in signing a free vet and there were a few good ones out there. That tells me they have penciled Ferg as the starter or targeting one in the draft with a high pick.
I hope it's the former.
Ferguson looked good as a rookie. Those are the guys you should be planning on giving snaps and developing.
With all the skill position signings we've made, looks like they're planning on using the top picks on the big boys. C, NT would be a great way to start the draft.

kskboys

Reaction score
I was watching and cheering for the Cowboys way before Jones bought the team.
I don't listen to his radio show, watch his interviews, press conferences, etc. ---at all.

I stated in my previous post that I would take the best DT guy available with the 26th pick.
But everyone here at CZ - nor the Cowboys FO -don't know what's going to happen outside of where the top two QBs are going.
BPA or BPAPN; set in stone on the player they want (trade up) - or that cliche "let the draft fall to you".
What DT would you want for Dallas that has the possibility of being there at 26?
Good stuff. Mazi maybe? Kancey should be there, and might be a real game wrecker.

kskboys

Reaction score
The longer this drags on the more likely it is that Schultz comes back here. Whether the fans like it or not, he is finding out that the market is only about what he made on the tag last year.

If it's just for one more season and he wants to return, I say why not??
I would say less than what he made on the tag. He's good, but he's not special.

kskboys

Reaction score
Darnell Washington at 26 plz this offence will be stacked!
A TE? You're joking, rigtht? We already have 2 starting quality TEs.

Plus, Darnell is very very slow and completely lacks quick twitch. Reminds me of Blake Bell. You can get the same type of TE in the 3rd.

ColeBeasley11

BruceCarter54
Reaction score

Plus, Darnell is very very slow and completely lacks quick twitch. Reminds me of Blake Bell. You can get the same type of TE in the 3rd.
Ferguson looks good but what makes you say Hendershot is starting quality?

He ran a 4.6 so he’s quite a bit faster and bigger and a much superior blocker to both them. I would love him at 26 then grab a RB mid rounds get back to being physical our OL loves to run block, he would fit in incredibly well.