Would you bring Schultz back on a 1-year deal?

kskboys

Reaction score
Ferguson looks good but what makes you say Hendershot is starting quality?

He ran a 4.6 so he’s quite a bit faster and bigger and a much superior blocker to both them. I would love him at 26 then grab a RB mid rounds get back to being physical our OL loves to run block, he would fit in incredibly well.
So we can keep losing in the playoffs due to an inferior DLine? When does it stop?

We have two good TEs on the roster. Drafting another doesn't improve our team.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
$10-12M .....
Spotrac has a value of $15M ......it appears he's not getting that. Maybe his value is hurt by the strong TE draft class. He may be better off signing with us for another year and re-entering the market in 2024.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dalton-schultz-25238/market-value/#:~:text=Current Contract,average annual salary of $10,931,000.

Nope. TE are payed lower and there are plenty in house and in the draft. If he were top 3, sure.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would love to have Schultz, Ferguson and Hendershot all back, but there are cap considerations even if for just one season, so I don't see it happening. My guess is they will go with Ferguson, Hendershot and McKeon, and maybe draft someone,

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I’m honestly surprised the Raiders haven’t signed him.

I wouldn’t mind Schultz on a 3-year/$22-24M contract, but I would rather give that money to Wagner if he was agreeable to it.

Honestly, if we’re dead set on having a catch-first TE, I’d rather go Kincaid in the draft.

erod

Reaction score
There are a hundred Dalton Schultzes out there, but there aren't QBs who throw to the tight ends at the rate Dak does.

That's why nobody is beating down his door to get him.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
There are a hundred Dalton Schultzes out there, but there aren't QBs who throw to the tight ends at the rate Dak does.

That's why nobody is beating down his door to get him.
Not sure the post makes sense anyways, but over the last three years the Cowboys have targeted their tight ends the 19th most in the league.... or below average.

Just to put facts out there.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I think everyone agrees Schultz is a top 10 tight end @ 26 years old

Gesicki just signed for a $9M deal, is older and worse.
There are 12 TEs who get paid $10M+ annually.

If we can talk Schultz into a 2-3 year deal at anything below $9.5M/yr then it would be smart.

But it is not stopping me from snatching up a tight end in this loaded class.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I have changed my mind ...... I would bring him back so we won't waste a 1st round pick on a TE

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Schultz ran like his ankles were tied together last season. It was weird. I think he has some ability but he is not worth a big contract.

dckid

Reaction score

kskboys

Reaction score
I have changed my mind ...... I would bring him back so we won't waste a 1st round pick on a TE
Good point.

I really don't care all that much if we bring Schultz back or not, but to degrade the man because he is not Travis Kelce is beyond stupid!!!!

rambo2

Reaction score
Schultz is in a bad position. The longer this goes on the more it looks like the Cowboys will be drafting a tight end. They can either take one early like Kincaid or Washington or they can take a mid round one. They will end up with a 3 headed monster regardless. They could possibly bring Schultz back cheap if he doesn't sign and they end up drafting other positions.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I definitely would bring back Schultz as he makes the team better, but not for $10-$12M. He can't block and I am interested in seeing the young kids take on a bigger role. If he wants to sign for half that (he won't) then I'd sign him. This is a topic for a few weeks from now if he is still out there unsigned and just looking for a team, because you can't make a decision on a player unless you know the price. For example, I have no interest in brining back Anthony Brown, but if he wants to come back for $1M per I'm in...

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Good point.

I really don't care all that much if we bring Schultz back or not, but to degrade the man because he is not Travis Kelce is beyond stupid!!!!
No one here is degrading him. I think DS gets the respect he earned. Good player. Somewhat limited but more than solid pro. Not worth the $12-15 MM it would take to sign him though.

I will say this…Ferguson looked pretty good last year. Way more athletic than the scouting reports said. I think they may have stolen him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m starting to think that this is becoming more and more if a possibility. I don’t hear him being linked to any other teams.

And keeping him at a reasonable price wouldn’t be the worst move. It would also allow them to give Ferguson another year to develop and not force them to use a top draft pick at TE.

A lot of positives.

pansophy

Reaction score
I never really noticed a difference in TE play when he was injured, so no. He flubbed a lot of blocks.

Cowboys93

Reaction score
I must have been watching a different player last year because I was ready to move on months ago. How are we gonna be a running team and sign a TE that whiffs on blocks and is limited to a “safety valve” to the QB with no game changing attributes? Feel like Ferg can do everything Shultz can given opportunities and he’s a better blocker