Would you have taken Jacksonville's offer

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm told that Jacksonville offered us the 16th and 49th pick for our 9th.
We turned them down and they made the same offer to Washington and they accepted.

Would you have taken the offer?

There were an amazing number of guys that we suppossedly liked still on the board--so odds were very high that one or two would still be there at 16.

Turns out that Castonzo, Amukamara, Cam Jordan, and others were there at 16.

So was Tyron Smith = Costanzo + maybe Ras-I Dowling, Marvin Austin or Rodney Hudson or some other guy at 49? Plus we would have kept the 40th pick.

I don't know.

I'm happy with our pick, but curious if you all think maybe we should have taken a great trade offer.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Its obvious Smith carried a significantly higher grade than any of those others.

No reason to rue, we took an excellent prospect at a critical area of need.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I'm going to say no which shocks even myself.

I honestly don't think they would have gotten Tyron Smith at 16 and I'm certain it would of caused someone to jump us for the next best OT on the board.

I'm almost certain we would of walked away with Cameron Jordan had we took that deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;3929897 said:
Its obvious Smith carried a significantly higher grade than any of those others.

No reason to rue, we took an excellent prospect at a critical area of need.

This is the approach I'm taking as well.

I commend them for not getting cute.

urface59

Reaction score
I would have prefered we made the trade. That doesn't mean I'm unhappy with staying put and taking smith though.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I've heard about other offers but not the J'Ville offer. I'd have to see that confirmed like some of the others. I like that they just took who they had the best grade on and moved on though.

DFWJC

Reaction score
HoustonFrog;3929942 said:
I've heard about other offers but not the J'Ville offer. I'd have to see that confirmed like some of the others. I like that they just took who they had the best grade on and moved on though.
Now why would you have any doubt that they did not make that trade offer to us when they made the exact trade to Washington a pick later. The Dallas offer would have been a better deal to them (vs the Wash deal) and it would have moved them ahead of Washinton in case they were actually considering Gabbert.

Unless we talk to Jerry directly, you can never get 100% confrimation. It was no secret.

Anyway. You can assume it's theoretical if you like...the question still applies.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We put off fixing the OL for years. To have the opportunity to pick the best OL in a area of need isn't worth the risk.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
Knowing what we know now (where the other OT's went, it probably would have been a good move. Although I definitely could see someone jumping us to take an OT if we had made the trade, and things not finishing exactly like they did.

But, had they made the trade at the time, given where most people expected the tackles to go, I would have not been happy when it was announced....

reddyuta

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3929973 said:
We put off fixing the OL for years. To have the opportunity to pick the best OL in a area of need isn't worth the risk.
this X 2.