Would you make this trade w/ the Rams?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yeah, though I guess it depends on how much we like the players sitting there when we're on the board at 4.

If we don't love them, sure, take the deal.
I suspect we'd have to add a 4th rounder to the pot to get it...and of course, SL would actually have to want one of those QBs badly.

We'd then have plenty of ammo to move up or down if we feel the need in any round the rest of the draft.
So as was mentioned earlier about Philly maybe taking the last of the 3 QBs at 13...that would probably not be an issue if we really wanted the player, as we could just jump them with a sweet deal for some team not wanting a QB.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If Wentz is our guy after the Sr Bowl, we can't trade to #15 -- he probably won't be there. As usual, you need to have reasonable certainty of the other teams' picks, and this is one of the most uncertain years in recent memory. Maybe the fog will lift by draft day, after the combine and other scouting work.

So, speculation is always interesting, but we're a bit premature.

My guy is Goff. If he is gone then it is all Plan B. If Wentz goes before 15 then I can deal with getting Elliott and Cook in the second and still having 2 more second round picks to get a CB/DT/OLB

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Sorry, but it may be another 20 years before we are drafting this high again and I dam sure aint missing out on a blue chipper for a pair of picks in the 40s.

I also realize that if Romo goes down, we need a starting level QB that is already pretty good because I have zero faith in this coaching staff to develop jack and as far as getting a vet backup for Romo......well we tried that 3 times this year and walked away 1-11.

Thus, just like I have zero faith in this staff to develop a QB, I have zero faith in this staff to "coach up a backup vet" as well. Like I said, we tried 3 different vet backups and the results were pretty much all the same..........losses.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Wasn't the last blue chipper we got Claiborne? There is no such thing as a can't miss prospect, especially in this draft (Goff, Lynch, and Wentz are no Luck and RG3... and only one of those 2 has had that much success at this level), so I would much rather have 3 top 45 prospects (with one of them being a top 15 prospect) than 1 top 5 prospect.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would I pass on a franchise caliber QB for a couple of 2nd round picks?

Not a chance.

It all depends on the scouting grades. Every year everyone's answer is to trade down. Sometimes you have to just take the talent.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Trade down from 1/4.....they give up 1/15...and both of their 2nds.... 2/43 and 2/45.

On paper we are getting the better end of the deal...but you are also risking not getting a QB. Is it worth the risk?

Comments?;)

I'm not doing anything to jeopardize losing our future franchise QB in Wentz.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
In a heart beat.

If I viewed Wentz, Goff, Lynch in the category of Elway, Luck or Peyton, no.

But I don't. So I roll the dice because I'm not going to need either of them in 2016 anyway.
Wentz or Lynch (or whichever two quarterbacks are left), you can always deal back up.

However, if the Rams are willing to get up that high to get one of the three, then they must really value that quarterback. I'd ask for a first-round pick in 2017 too. :D

What does Wentz have to do to prove he is worth a top pick?

The guy has elite physical skills, actually played in a pro style offense, and took his team to 2 National Titles in 1aa.

The logo on his helmet is his biggest flaw for most people and I don't think NFL scouts and GM's will think that way.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
What does Wentz have to do to prove he is worth a top pick?

The guy has elite physical skills, actually played in a pro style offense, and took his team to 2 National Titles in 1aa.

The logo on his helmet is his biggest flaw for most people and I don't think NFL scouts and GM's will think that way.

Question: When was the last time a quarterback from a "smaller" school and one who played inferior talent went in the top 5?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Question: When was the last time a quarterback from a "smaller" school and one who played inferior talent went in the top 5?

I don't know off the top of my head. All I care about is his talent and if it wasnt immense I might not want him..

If Jared Goff played at NDSU then I'd look at him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder based on his natural ability.

Wentz has elite physical traits and he played in a pro style offense. That is why I hype him.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I don't know off the top of my head. All I care about is his talent and if it wasnt immense I might not want him..

If Jared Goff played at NDSU then I'd look at him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder based on his natural ability.

Wentz has elite physical traits and he played in a pro style offense. That is why I hype him.

I asked because the question dictates why he might be available later.

Look, I understand your point, and I don't necessarily disagree. If the Cowboys believe he is THAT talented, they should take him at #4.

But ... the apprehension may be because of his small-school status, and that may cause Wentz to fall out of the top 5.

And that's in keeping with history. Phil Sims from tiny (now defunct) Morehead State went #7.
Doug Williams from Grambling State went #17.
Ben Roethlisberger from Miami (Ohio) went #11.

I'm sure a case could be made for all of them being franchise quarterbacks and being taken higher (based on their contribution to the game and those taken ahead of them), but because of their small-school status, they went lower.

So that's why I say there still could be some doubt about Wentz based on the logo on his helmet.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Trade down from 1/4.....they give up 1/15...and both of their 2nds.... 2/43 and 2/45.

On paper we are getting the better end of the deal...but you are also risking not getting a QB. Is it worth the risk?

Comments?;)

I assume that they are trading up for a QB, so I'd consider asking for Foles, a 2nd, and a 4th.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Without hesitation...and reap a ton of good from it. One needs to view all angles...as stated above, unlikely. They already are coveting them.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Not sure you would give up a chance to pick one of the top 3 QB. Really depends on if Kelly is sold on Kap being his QB in San Fran. Cleveland will prob take a QB, and then the only other team that might take a QB in round 1 before 15 is Philly. Unless of course LA picks a QB at 4, which would suck for us in this scenario. I hope we do trade back and I think we will, but realistically i expect it to be to 8 or 9. So while I favor a trade down, I am not sure I would go that far down, unless the team assured us they are not taking a QB with the move up.

Maybe we can talk buffalo into giving up another 1st round pick to move up for WR haha

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I assume that they are trading up for a QB, so I'd consider asking for Foles, a 2nd, and a 4th.

And not have a first round pick. ...no thanks. If we are getting a QB for the future why get a QB that isn't 20-22 years old to groom is 3 years he will be 23-25

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
And not have a first round pick. ...no thanks. If we are getting a QB for the future why get a QB that isn't 20-22 years old to groom is 3 years he will be 23-25

I think in his scenario, he would use a 2nd round pick to get one of the Top 4-5 Rated Qb that would be on the board at 34 and use Foles as the primary back up. We would be able to land Cook, Hackenberg, maybe Wentz (i doubt he last to the second) or Hogan in the second, and while not Day 1 starter material, they all have the ability to develop into a very good QB.

ROUSH8692

Reaction score

Comments?;)

You continue earning my respect with your posts every time after you said we should start Kellen Moore....

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I think in his scenario, he would use a 2nd round pick to get one of the Top 4-5 Rated Qb that would be on the board at 34 and use Foles as the primary back up. We would be able to land Cook, Hackenberg, maybe Wentz (i doubt he last to the second) or Hogan in the second, and while not Day 1 starter material, they all have the ability to develop into a very good QB.

So give up the number 4 pick for a back up then use round 2 pick on another QB.....haha no thanks