Would you move up for Derek Barnett?

TheFinisher

Reaction score
There's a real possibility he could slide to the late teens/early 20s. I consider him the last of the true blue chip edge rushers in this class and our last chance at legitimately upgrading that spot.

Would you give up a 3rd to secure him? A 4th? But that would probably take some sweating out...

I'm just asking because I think this is the one legit guy that makes sense for us to trade up for.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I don't want to give up picks in this draft to move up for almost anyone.

I hear that, I'm not thrilled with giving up picks either... but I think in this case due to the premium put on that position and the drop off after him it definitely has to draw a conversation. We already have bodies at DE, what we're missing is a true difference maker. If your staff is convinced he's legit, and they're only 50/50 on guys like Watt/Harris/Takk... I think I'm going to get him.

We've been dipping our toe in the mid round waters for too long, that position is too important and if the opportunity presents itself we should pounce

Derinyar

Reaction score
I hear that, I'm not thrilled with giving up picks either... but I think in this case due to the premium put on that position and the drop off after him it definitely has to draw a conversation. We already have bodies at DE, what we're missing is a true difference maker. If your staff is convinced he's legit, and they're only 50/50 on guys like Watt/Harris/Takk... I think I'm going to get him.
The problem is I'm not sure the Cowboys see him as a player at the position they desperately need. They don't need a DE, they need a RDE1. They need that guy who is your speed rusher. They have a plethora of LDE/3T types and that's what most internet scouts see Barnett as. Is he better then Lawrence/Crawford and the rest, possibly, but is he likely to be so much better that its worth giving up something to go get him. That's where I doubt it. The Cowboys don't need numbers at DE they just need the one specific piece they're missing.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Some if's involved:

IF Barnett falls past 20 (big if)
and
IF Dallas likes him as much as I do and thinks he's going to get to the QB early and often (I do)
and
IF the price isn't too high

Then, yeah, I absolutely make a move up to go get him. Besides Garrett and Solomon Thomas, Barnett is the only edge rusher that I think is going to make an impact. Just like T Suggs clocked over 5.0 at the combine in his 40 yard dash, I don't think Barnett's 4.88 40 is indicative of how much he'll get to the QB. He is very good at playing DE and rushing the passer and he just has that knack that all really good DE's have for getting home on the rush.

In a rotation that keeps him fresh as a rookie, I think he is probably the only edge rusher besides Garrett that has a chance to put up pretty high sack numbers in his first year. Tenn rode him hard and he got little rest. Marinelli would use him a lot (Inside and out, IMO) but he'd still be fresh because of that rotation.

I would try like hell to move a pick in next year's draft instead of this year's. I would be willing to give up a second next year before I would be willing to part with this year's third.

All of this is really contingent upon the team feeling the same way I do about him and his college play/production, of course. But if they think he's going to be that good, then I hope they do it if he falls close enough.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I would not trade up for anyone this year even though I expect it is going to be a buyers market after the top 10. I think the Cowboys showed with Dak and Collins last year that your third and fourth round can be just as good as players as your first round picks. Now you can't expect that every year but you can't expect the guy you trade up for to be elite either (see Mo Claiborne).

I also don't want to see Dallas trade down into the early second either. Dallas has done good recently identifying 4-8 guys they like in their draft range and have done a good job hitting on these players. Most of the guys they have liked who have gone before have also turned out to be good players. I still don't trust them if they needed to expand the # of players they liked for their first pick.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There's a real possibility he could slide to the late teens/early 20s. I consider him the last of the true blue chip edge rushers in this class and our last chance at legitimately upgrading that spot.

Would you give up a 3rd to secure him? A 4th? But that would probably take some sweating out...

I'm just asking because I think this is the one legit guy that makes sense for us to trade up for.
Yes simply because if he is good as I think he will be, the DB's job will be much easier

AzorAhai

Reaction score
28+92 gets them up to 21 or 22. For those who would want to move up for him, that's the area he needs to be in to get the deal done. They aren't giving up 28 and 60 so that's where you need him to fall.

I'm not 100% opposed to the idea, but they better have a damn high grade on him for it to be worth it. Like top 10 grade on him.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
For our third, absolutely. I was thinking the same thing this morning. You just can not ignore that kind of production in the SEC, year in and year out. This guy might be our best chance at getting a real difference maker on the DL. If he falls to 20, I am going to get a little excited. We could still get a good corner at #60 and good safety that could compete with Heath in the 4th like Xavier Woods or Thompson.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Certainly... but, don't think there is anyway possible he makes it past Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens @ #16.

Reaction score
I love Barnett, & believe he IS a RDE of elite talent. Besides that, he has the fire & toughness you need in this league. You don't break Reggie White's all-time Vols sack record in 3 seasons without having rare skills. He just wants it more than most. However, this is the deepest defensive draft I've ever seen-ever. We need every pick we have. If anything, I would love it if we traded down for the Brown's 33 & 108. That way, we would have the first pick on both Thursday AND Friday. It would give us much more bargaining power, & there will still be very good NFL talent available. There are guys I like, (DEs Derek Rivers & Tarrell Basham come to mind), who can be had at 60 &/or 92. They're not Barnett, but they may be close.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

I like him but he is not a sure fire thing. Yes he was productive in the SEC and came up big in big games. I'm just not sure that he is an elite athlete.

He didn't jump well, and while his 3 cone was above average his shuttle was pretty pedestrian.

That makes me ambivalent about him and unwilling to spend more than a first round pick on him.

I would trade up for Hooker, Adams, Thomas, and Lattimore and I would be reluctant to give up that third even then. That is the extent of it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I have some concern about him. He didn't finish the combine measurable(s) and ran a poor forty (4.88 at 259 pounds). Then he had a hamstring issue at his Pro Day. It appears he did drills but didn't re-run the forty. I don't see anything for his bench at the combine or Pro Day.

He is 6'2-1/2", 259 with shortish arms and poor forty. His short shuttle was slow for a DE (Barnett 4.76 at 259 pounds, Zack Martin 4.65 at 308 pounds).

Maybe he really was sick and then injured, but it seems like he is hiding from the measurable(s).

Even aside from the actual measurable(s), his lack of availability to finish either the Combine or Pro Day is a concern.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I have some concern about him. He didn't finish the combine measurable(s) and ran a poor forty (4.88 at 259 pounds). Then he had a hamstring issue at his Pro Day. It appears he did drills but didn't re-run the forty. I don't see anything for his bench at the combine or Pro Day.

He is 6'2-1/2", 259 with shortish arms and poor forty. His short shuttle was slow for a DE (Barnett 4.76 at 259 pounds, Zack Martin 4.65 at 308 pounds).

Maybe he really was sick and then injured, but it seems like he is hiding from the measurable(s).

Even aside from the actual measurable(s), his lack of availability to finish either the Combine or Pro Day is a concern.

The price would likely be too high to trade up, and we're already missing a pick; might actually trade down.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
No. Don't think the difference b/t him and the tier of guys behind him is significant enough.