Would you rather have Brandon Carr or Stanford Routt?

garyv

Reaction score
The most interesting current story line in the AFC West is the Kansas City Chiefs’ flirtation with former Oakland cornerback Stanford Routt.

Routt’s visit in Kansas City extended to a second day Wednesday. He has already visited Buffalo and others are planned. But there is no doubt Kansas City is considering signing Routt, who was cut by Oakland last Thursday.

Making Kansas City’s interest in Routt even more intriguing is that one of the Chiefs’ top free agents is cornerback Brandon Carr. With No. 1 cornerback Brandon Flowers locked into a long-term contract and both Routt, 28, and Carr, 25, commanding starter’s money, there is only room for one or the other. The Chiefs are obviously comparing both Routt’s and Carr’s skills along with their contract demands.

Don’t discount the positive impact signing Routt would create. The Chiefs — who have $62 million in cap room — can virtually lock in two priorities and then concentrate on other needs on the open market by signing Routt now and giving the franchise tag to receiver Dwayne Bowe. They can’t franchise both Bowe and Carr. Securing Routt and Bowe before the start off free agency, which begins March 13, could be appealing to Kansas City.

I asked Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. who he would rather have, Routt or Carr? He said he likes Carr just a bit more, but he’d have little problem seeing the Chiefs opt to sign Routt.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
However it works out, the availability of Routt does give KC some room to bargain prior to the start of FA.

Routt's got a cooler name for a CB, though.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Carr

I really don't think it's all that close a decision between those two but I guess some are higher on Routt than I am.

johnnyd

Reaction score
garyv;4420730 said:
The most interesting current story line in the AFC West is the Kansas City Chiefs’ flirtation with former Oakland cornerback Stanford Routt.

Routt’s visit in Kansas City extended to a second day Wednesday. He has already visited Buffalo and others are planned. But there is no doubt Kansas City is considering signing Routt, who was cut by Oakland last Thursday.

Making Kansas City’s interest in Routt even more intriguing is that one of the Chiefs’ top free agents is cornerback Brandon Carr. With No. 1 cornerback Brandon Flowers locked into a long-term contract and both Routt, 28, and Carr, 25, commanding starter’s money, there is only room for one or the other. The Chiefs are obviously comparing both Routt’s and Carr’s skills along with their contract demands.

Don’t discount the positive impact signing Routt would create. The Chiefs — who have $62 million in cap room — can virtually lock in two priorities and then concentrate on other needs on the open market by signing Routt now and giving the franchise tag to receiver Dwayne Bowe. They can’t franchise both Bowe and Carr. Securing Routt and Bowe before the start off free agency, which begins March 13, could be appealing to Kansas City.

I asked Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. who he would rather have, Routt or Carr? He said he likes Carr just a bit more, but he’d have little problem seeing the Chiefs opt to sign Routt.

huh ? 62 mill and here we are acting like big spenders with the rumored 17 mill. lol

mmillman

Reaction score
Routt is the most penalized defensive player in the league. Adding that to a team that already kills themselves in that area? No thanks

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My preference would be Carr, and by a wide margin.

I think this likely cmes down to price.

If Routt's is much less than Carr's by a wide margin, I can see that as the only reason why the Chiefs would go with him.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
After watching TNew the last Two seasons, I take either, but I bet we sign a cheaper CB like Porter or Thomas.

fortdick

Reaction score
Is this a trick question? Which do you prefer, spinach or cake?

Carr is cake, in case you were wondering.

:p:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4420748 said:
Carr

I really don't think it's all that close a decision between those two but I guess some are higher on Routt than I am.

Same here. I don't get the love for Routt, he's not much of an improvement over Newman IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think it depends on what you are signing for and what the expectation is for the player. If your signing for a 3rd QB for less money, then Routt. If you are looking for a #1 starter then Carr. Also, the money plays a roll.

John813

Reaction score
Carr AINEC.

However, if Carr is retained, I wouldn't mind Routt if the price was right.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
According to profootballfocus.com, Routt gave up the most TDs of any corner last year.