Would you sacrifice Byron Jones for Quinn or Bennett

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My neighbor asked me this last night and I honestly couldn't answer. Too early to make a call on either one but let's say both ends the season with double-digit sacks, then what. I'm guessing a three-year deal averaging $10M would get either one signed long-term. We're are probably looking at a $13-15M range for Byron but he's younger. Just think it may be a bit easier to draft his replacement or impact of his position vs trying to find a DE with the impact you get from Bennett or Quinn....plus they would be cheaper.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
My neighbor asked me this last night and I honestly couldn't answer. Too early to make a call on either one but let's say both ends the season with double-digit sacks, then what. I'm guessing a three-year deal averaging $10M would get either one signed long-term. We're are probably looking at a $13-15M range for Byron but he's younger. Just think it may be a bit easier to draft his replacement or impact of his position vs trying to find a DE with the impact you get from Bennett or Quinn....plus they would be cheaper.

Depends on the sacrificial ritual we'd be using.

kskboys

Reaction score
The real question is, "Would you sacrifice Byron for high quality DL's?"

Unequivocally yes. Your D starts up front, period. No area of the D affects your entire D anywhere near as much as your front 4. Not even close.

Pass rush makes good/great QB's into lesser QB's. You see what the Chargers pass rush did to Rodgers yesterday, and what the Ravens did to Brady? That is the ONLY way to beat good/great QB's.

kskboys

Reaction score
Byron will probably come at the price of Quinn AND Bennett - ~$15m - or very close.

I'd rather keep the DL.
Yup. Even if it's not specifically Quinn and Bennett, DL's simply affect the entire D more. A lot more.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
So it's unlikely any teams offer Bennett more than one year deal on the open market? If that's the case I'd consider bringing him back even with Quinn or Jones signing.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how much money Quinn and Bennett both want. Quinn's sack numbers say megabucks, his age and injury history both say short term deal. We'll see how that all works out, but I doubt we retain him.

Bennett's contract with the Eagles (rolled over to the Pats, rolled over to us...) was 2 years $16M. Let's say he wants that same deal again after this season. I'd say he's worth that money while he's playing, but his combo of possible decline + dickishness makes it kind of risky.

And to be honest, I think Byron's gone either way. 30% of our cap in our OL + Dak getting megabucks + Coop getting megabucks + DLaw making $20M a season... where's the money at to pay him? Maybe adding a contract like Bennet's will be manageable, but 4-5 years at probably $15M per for Byron? I don't think we have that kind of cash.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
May I sacrifice Chido and Brown instead? Seems like a fair trade off, assuming both Quinn and Bennett stay on track as to how they played last night.

Actually I'd do that in a heartbeat. I'm not sure I could easily give up Byron for either, maybe for both..maybe..

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Team is in dire need

In my opinion, team has to find two new starting Caliber CB's. There is no way I'm giving 15 million a season to Bryon, not only does he have no ball skills, he is a very poor tackler for the position. Don't know what to do about Awuzie, either. Very poor in air ball instincts, seems to get beaten in coverage every week, perhaps he is more suited to be a strong safety with his high-end tackling abilities. Don't like Brown, either. Would love to keep Quinn or Bennett, but just don't know how with the holes in the back-end.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how much money Quinn and Bennett both want. Quinn's sack numbers say megabucks, his age and injury history both say short term deal. We'll see how that all works out, but I doubt we retain him.

Bennett's contract with the Eagles (rolled over to the Pats, rolled over to us...) was 2 years $16M. Let's say he wants that same deal again after this season. I'd say he's worth that money while he's playing, but his combo of possible decline + dickishness makes it kind of risky.

And to be honest, I think Byron's gone either way. 30% of our cap in our OL + Dak getting megabucks + Coop getting megabucks + DLaw making $20M a season... where's the money at to pay him? Maybe adding a contract like Bennet's will be manageable, but 4-5 years at probably $15M per for Byron? I don't think we have that kind of cash.

+1.....think there's a good chance Byron's value on the open market may more than we are will to pay.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Yes. Byron is a great guy personnel wise, and a lot of people say "the QB never throws his way cause he's blocking so well!"

Yeah well that's replaceable, compared to what we have in Quinn and (too early to tell) Bennett Sort of. Then again, Awuzie and Anthony Brown don't look so hot out there at times....

However, games are won in the trenches, If you're O-line and D-line are good, your team is good. A good D-line keeps the QB from even passing the ball near the secondary anyways.